Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

so now that i've come into a bit of cash i'm actually thinking of buying a proper AFL Membership (it doesn't hurt that they come with the international streaming) and like a true Yank plastic i'm trying to size up who'd i'd actually buy it from, right down to seeing who'll give me the most/best poo poo for my dollar. right now i'm down to:

--carlton (the local AFL team I play for is called the Blues and has a link-up with them)
--essendon (my dad bought me a long-sleeved Essendon jumper when he went to Melbourne once on business, because I remember watching James Hird on late-night AFL coverage here and he always wore long sleeves)
--richmond (the university I attended is the Tigers whose colors are black-and-gold, plus We're From Tigerland is a cracking club song)
--freo (when my AFL team plays as part of a combined side with other teams nearby we adopt Cincy's identity which is the Dockers, down to fairly recent Freo kits)

also, yes I can't wait to start playing again. i'm actually working on fitness this year ahead of the season, plus recruited a couple guys to come and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Schlesische posted:

Yeah, watch a bunch of games this season. Pick players that you like and look for a team that you want to follow.

Of the teams you've listed, Carlton and Essendon have the most active fans here and are probably the largest fanbases you're likely to encounter in the wider world.

Carlton fans often have a stigma attached of coming across as colossal wankers with a bit of "born to win" mentality. They're not Hawthorn levels of smug (see: very. Patriots fans, maybe?), but if their young players pan out and they start to win flags and have a dynasty they will probably overcome that level and ascend to a new level of smug.
Essendon fans are still recovering from the Dankgate scandal and it's going to take some time before jokes involving needles go away.
Don't follow Richmond. Richmond fans are loving insane. There is more speculation following this garbage fire on wheels than on literally any other club. It's like following the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Freo doesn't really come with any of that stuff since a) they're like 20 years old and b) they've been poo poo for almost all of those 20 years. There is one other Freo fan here and the team isn't as garbage as their ladder position last year suggests.

seeing your av, here's a story you'd like: two years ago I was at the USAFL national tournament, waiting to play in our divisional final (we lost to Portland, who if you've seen Portlandia confirmed all stereotypes, and I barely got a hit-out). Montreal was playing Sacramento in their div final, Sacto was a team that was not exactly well-liked, even more so when they tried to do a head-count. during the head count I managed to get more than a few people to loudly chant GO HABS GO! and then OLE, OLE OLE OLE, OLE, OLE! whenever Montreal did something well.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

the Carlton membership site said my international membership package got sent a month ago and should be there in "10-14 working days"...A MONTH AGO.

yeah, yeah, international shipping and all, but still, I want my hat!

(also I've got beer and had a few margaritas watching the World Baseball Classic final while playing NFL Blitz at a barcade in downtown St Louis. let's do this.)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

WatchAFL, at least overseas, is working great. HD quality and very little interruptions.

• Locked thread