Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
An OP worthy of the best sport in the world.

I hope we get lots of newcomers this year. I always really enjoy them asking questions (especially about free kicks that even we are confused by) and picking a team for the first time.

When are we doing the fantasy footy thing (I forget what it's called)? Last year was my first go at it and I enjoyed it way too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
EDDIEBETTS has signed a 3 year contract extension! :toot:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

pkid posted:

Is there audio of someone, BT maybe, saying EDDIEBETTS to give people an idea of how it is said?

Huddo commentating the 2016 goal of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYzbYN0Bsjg

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Someone was asking for more detail about the ruck rule at boundary throw ins. When the ball falls short and neither ruck can make it there, no other players can touch it until it has hit the ground. It sounds dumb, will probably look dumb, but it's easy to umpire and I'm not sure what else they could have done. Hopefully boundary umps doing lots of curls in the off season to make sure they get enough distance most of the time

Also, the new umpire boss continues to push the whole "going full time professional would be bad because <insert bullshit here>" thing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

To be fair the new umpires boss is also the old umpires boss

Really? For some reason I was sure that we got a new one. Maybe it was just wishful thinking.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sorry to be a downer but it seems really weird to me, you'd think after missing a whole year at and looking seriously like he might die that it would be best to ease back into a routine without the added pressure of captain put on him.

Maybe the Hawks are lacking so poorly in the leadership department that he was the best option? He is replacing Hodge after all, and they did just turf Mitchell and Lewis. Who else is there?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Well who else do they have?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I agree that Roughead is the best option and it's a good story but I really don't see any of those other players you listed as obvious captain material.

Stop being mad that some people don't think the Hawks are overflowing with talent in every regard.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Looks like Moorabbin in the middle of constructing the new facilities would be a better location.

Overall, this is a decision in line with the current AFL standard.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Patrick and Barney are having a baby?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

My niece got the first ever signed #3 collingwood women's jumper :3:

We are old family friends since I went to primary school with Penny Cula-Reid and her brothers. She's amazing, deserves the chance to play at AFL level as much as anyone. She was one of three girls who sued the MSJFL for not
letting them continue playing juniors because they were female.

This is cool and good. Make sure your niece gets to lots of games and barracks really loudly.

Speaking of cool and good; check out Freo's new training facilities https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/first-look-at-the-dockers-new-cockburn-facility-ng-b88366567z

How long until a player gets stuck in or injured going down one of the waterslides?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-26/ruck-academy-planned-for-overlooked-big-men posted:

THE AFL has begun planning for a 'ruck academy' for taller prospects who have been overlooked by clubs at the draft.

In a bid to push more ruck options through the system, the League informed clubs this week of its plans to build an AFL national academy ruck program.

Although still in the planning phase, the program will identify a group of 19-year-old ruckmen who were not taken by clubs at last year's national and rookie draft.

South Australian Jordan Sweet, Northern Territory's Tony Olango and West Australian Jeremy Goddard were three ruckmen in last year's national academy to not find a place on an AFL list last season.

The League will engage the national academy coaches for additional ruck craft sessions as well as more placements at AFL clubs for members of the ruck academy.

Clubs have shown a reluctance in recent years to use early draft picks on ruckmen, with talented West Australian big man Tim English slipping to the Bulldogs' pick No.19 last year.

However, in the rookie draft the following week, seven of the first-round picks were used on ruckmen.

Ruckmen have also become highly sought after during the trade and free agency periods as clubs look to cash in on big men who have developed elsewhere.

The AFL's talent update to clubs also included a new element of its next generation academy system, with five clubs now able to access eligible multicultural talent from Darwin.

The city's multicultural and indigenous talent was originally not allocated to any club due to its history of producing AFL players.

But from 2017 the five existing clubs with next generation academy zones in the Northern Territory (Essendon, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong and Melbourne) will be able to nominate multicultural players residing in Darwin.

A new ruck academy sounds like a good thing.

The bolded seems like a big change to the new multicultural/indigenous academy zones. It sounds like a big bonus for those 5 clubs. While I don't think it'll have a massive impact any time soon (iirc the academies only give priority to clubs if the player isn't picked in the national or rookie draft), I do worry about the potential for scope creep with these academies. If these academies eventually get clubs priority in the national draft then this change would be pretty significant.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2017-st-kilda-mystery-training-session-using-zones-20170130-gu1me1.html

This seems to have slipped under the radar. gently caress you AFL, NO ONE wants zones in our game.

I can just imagine the poo poo show of having to wait for players to get back in their zone or paying frees for players out of zone. Zones can gently caress off.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
loving champion data. I preorderd the Prospectus with them saying preorders would get it mid January and newsagents would get it Feb 2. Turns out they were full of poo poo because it's currently in newsagents and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. It's not like I paid extra for delivery or anything. OH WAIT. A bunch of other people are also having the same issue so it doesn't seem like this is just me being unlucky.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Holy poo poo look at the crowd.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

realbez posted:

The blues just look so much more professional

I was thinking before that maybe fitness will be the biggest determinant of success in the early days of the WAFL. With the draft creating a relatively even spread of skill then fitness probably becomes super important for the first few years until the fitness levels even out as the game becomes more professional.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Age posted:

A group of intruders, some believed to have been armed with baseball bats, have broken into a house where four footballers were sleeping, stealing their cars.

Three Essendon footballers and a VFL player had their cars stolen in an aggravated burglary at their home in Melbourne's west last week. A neighbour said she saw the footballers run after the cars screaming.

Victoria Police confirmed at burglars broke into a property in Maribyrnong just after 4am last Friday and stole wallets and the keys to a Mazda, two Holden Commodores and a Volkswagen. It is believed there were at least four offenders.

The house is occupied by four footballers; AFL listed players Shaun McKernan, Jayden Laverde and Connor McKenna, as well as Victorian Football League defender James Ferry.

The players were asleep inside at the time and by the time they realised they were being robbed, the offenders were fleeing the property.

None of the players were harmed but they are believed to be quite shaken.

Sherry Detering, who lives across the road, said she was woken up by the sound of the Volkswagen crashing in front of the house.

An offender got out and jumped into one of the other stolen cars.

Ms Detering said the players ran after the cars screaming.

"We heard this great big crash. All we saw were the cars speeding off in opposite directions," Ms Detering said.

"It's lucky they weren't hurt themselves, it's bad enough having a car stolen."

Police said the thieves arrived at the property in a stolen Toyota Camry, which has since been recovered in Maribyrnong.

The Volkswagen stolen from the property has also been recovered nearby and the two Holden Commodores were found in the western suburbs on Sunday during a police operation.

The Mazda is still missing.

They probably thought they were hitting a stash house.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

Apparently not. Pats won the toss, received, went down field for a touchdown and that was that.

Yeah, that was the stupidest way to end it they could possibly have.

At least the AFL decided on two 5min halves before golden goal comes in. Just going straight to golden goal would be horrible.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The commentators for the Super Bowl were pretty good. They actually talked about thing relevant to the game. It was totally different and much better than the poo poo we get with AFL.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Footy is easily the best sport in the world. Nothing even comes close.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Windmill Hut posted:

What is the simplest AFL fantasy game going around, in terms of weekly/unfront time investment required? If any?

Something beyond tipping, but not supercoach, would be ideal. I loved Supercoach back in the day when I had more free time (and was good at it because i had so much time), but now I just can't fit in the research needed to be good.

Haven't played supercoach so I don't know how it compares but what about Ultimate footy? The only real in season time investment required is if you have to replace an injury or an underperformer but it's generally pretty quick to do that. It's pretty simple and you don't need to work out salary cap or any of that poo poo. You just look at the average scores for the players available in that position and recruit the one you like the most.

We had a league last year, but I'm not sure what's happening with it this year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Should just turn the sprinklers on imo

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Just imagine what happens to the Crows midfield if Sloane gets a long term injury.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
According to some insiders Freo now has a virgin for a captain.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

New rule may be in place for round 1.

Just the kind of headline you want to see from a billion dollar league one month and change before the start of the season.

The rule in question is replacing the rushed behind penalty of a free kick on the goal line with a ball up 14 metres out(a marker will be painted). This will be trialled in the first two rounds of practice games, before inexplicably returning to a free kick for the final ones.

Speaking of distances, players have GPS technology which is metre accurate. Why the gently caress do umpires not have a button on the side of their whistle which communicates with their GPS tracker, which then beeps when the umpire has moved 50 metres?

That's probably a good change. The last thing we want is for games to be decided due to a bad deliberate rushed call (of which I'm sure there will be many). But surely the AFL could have predicted that such a change was necessary when they decided to change the rushed behind rule. To me it indicates just how little the AFL thinks about the implications of the rules they change before they change them.

The umpires should be professional enough to know how many strides it takes them to cover ~50m. Oh, did I say professional? Nevermind. We can't possibly expect a bunch of amateurs to master something so complicated.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

But why should they have to devote any brain space to measuring distance when they're already carrying technology that can do it for them with accuracy?

I'm sure they could do it, but what about the AFL gives you confidence that they wouldn't gently caress it up in the most stupid way possible?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Football tonight! :toot:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
That was the most uninspiring speech by Heppell in that Dons ad.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Has anyone else noticed that a bunch of players from both teams have things taped behind their ears? The only thing I can think it'd be would be some kind of sensor taking data as part of some study on concussion (but I have no idea).

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

That's exactly what it is

Awesome. Any idea who is running it?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT CHELSEA

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

If you're trying to watch the stream on your iPad, the AFL (and Foxtel) says gently caress you.

Holy gently caress that's some downright stupid poo poo. Only the AFL and Telstra would think watching footy on a small screen or with poo poo quality is a good idea.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Not exactly the most reliable sources but it's still interesting:

https://www.zerohanger.com/ricky-nixon-explains-rorted-salary-cap-9852/ posted:

Ricky Nixon explains how he rorted salary cap

Former AFL player agent Ricky Nixon outlined how he manoeuvred around the salary cap in two extraordinary Facebook posts.

Given his chequered history, everything Nixon says must be taken with a grain of salt. But if what he has written is true then they are some explosive claims.

Nixon’s first post outlined a deal he put together for Wayne Carey before the 2000 season. North Melbourne had just won a premiership and Nixon was aiming to get Carey a deal worth $1 million.
According to Nixon, in 2000 the AFL club salary cap was $2.5 million, so Carey’s salary would have taken up 40% of North’s cap.

North wanted to keep the premiership side together, so Nixon came up with a creative way to get his client the money.

“I created a company owned by Wayne Carey called Carey Promotions Pty Ltd. Wayne contractually sold his Intellectual Property (his identity, likeness etc) to the company for $2,” Nixon said.

“The company then licensed Wayne Carey’s IP to Flying Start (my company) for exclusive exploitation. I then licensed Wayne’s IP to North for $400,000 non exclusively.”

Nixon said after the deal he was called into the office of former AFL CEO Wayne Jackson and warned about his dealings. But that didn’t stop him.

He was also representing Essendon duo James Hird and Matthew Lloyd in the same year. Nixon explains that after the Carey deal was made, the AFL had cracked down on third party deals.

The timeline gets a little messy, but Nixon states that Essendon needed $500,000 salary cap relief to keep Hird and Lloyd at the club for the 2000 season.

Nixon came up with another way to get his clients the money.

“I registered the domain names https://www.jameshird.com.au and https://www.matthewlloyd.com.au sold the domain names to Essendon for $250,000 each …. Salary Cap problem gone,” he said.

“Instead of 3%, the usual fee, I classed it as marketing deal and took 20%.

“The boys didn’t care they were $200K richer and i upgraded from the SAAB to a BMW and whacked a deposit on the holiday house at Pt Lonsdale.”

Essendon went on to win the premiership later that year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
What the hell are the cats wearing?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I now know why Shiels is seen as a future leader at the Hawks. That was an off the ball elbow to the back of the head worthy of a Hawks leader.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I like the all red back on the Dee's jumper.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Should probably just retire the Suns as a brand. It's clearly cursed and is a risk to its players.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints are looking like they'll have a pretty much full strength squad for the game against Port this Thursday. The only major exclusion is Montagna who is out for a few weeks with a calf strain. Can't wait for the meltdown on Big Footy if the Saint lose.

In other Saints news: Richo is replacing Buckley as one of the weekly coaches on AFL 360.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

They wanted someone who will be there come september mid-season may round 3

Can we figure out a way that both Buckley and Hardwick get the sack as a result of the Tigers v Pies game in round two? Both will probably gone halfway through the year if they clearly aren't going to make finals.

I do wonder how much the possible firing of a coach plays into the decision of which coaches to have on 360. It'd be great tv at the time of the sacking but could get a bit awkward after a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Have a dedicated ball bouncer umpire who only bounces the ball and does nothing else. Then have the rest of the umps throw it up when needed.

• Locked thread