Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

How accurate were the bios that they gave the draftees?

On the AFL website or on the broadcast? not super sure cause I don't have in-depth knowledge of the draft but I'd guess the ones on the AFL Draft Tracker site are pretty good (or at least they seem alright from what I've read about the Saints draftees).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, the draft tracker. I think someone else said it was rubbish though.

Yeah, I think that was Testekill complaining about the writeup on Naughton which said he was a 'penetrating and accurate kick' which seems to somewhat contradict some of the stuff out there about him that I've seen. For example, AFL Draft Central (an independent draft info source) and Knightmare (a bigfooty hack who now writes for ESPN) both list kicking as a weakness of his, but more in terms of general technique or style (long loopy kicks) and not that it's super horrible as a rule.

My general theory with reading draft profiles is to read a few different ones, average out the good and the bad parts and then ignore it all cause ultimately, apart from players taken at the real top end of the draft, it often means very little when they get to AFL level.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Big fan of these videos, keep em coming every November

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/934164888447885312

https://twitter.com/TigersFC_/status/934248844375629830

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Here's a good video and article on footy in a small rural town:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-27/corryong-town-divided-by-love-of-aussie-rules-footy/9103024

quote:

For many Australian country towns, traditional rivalry between the football and netball clubs forms the beating heart of the community.

But in Corryong in north-east Victoria, local rivalry has taken on a whole new meaning.

A short drive from the Murray River, Corryong has just two football teams. And they share the same oval.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Cats took Crameri in the rookie draft.

Maybe it'll work out this time.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally I look forward to two periods a year of “IS JESSE GOING HOME” instead of just one

Yeah, it seems great if all it allows is clubs to trade in players to cover injuries but if it lets players bail on clubs mid season then that could be just as disruptive as injuries.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

quote:

ST KILDA defender Dylan Roberton needed stitches in his testicles on Monday after a freak indoor cricket incident which saw him hit by a tennis ball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcTYj4BBNxM/?taken-by=dylanroberton

E: Can you embed an instagram video?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

At least it wasn’t Essendon I guess :barf:

It'll be pretty funny when Essendon don't even make the 8 next season. :getin:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Schlesische posted:

The Bundaberg soft drinks are amazing. The blood orange is good but the creaming soda and whatever the hell the other one I tried was were pretty good too.

I'm gonna have to pick one of these up next time I pick up a kebab (mix with garlic and chilli sauce). HSPs are stupid.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'll fight both of you.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Or maybe Melbourne is the best city and players want to live there. Or the players don't want to be separated from their friends and family at that point in their lives. Or they just don't like the club they are currently playing for and want to play for another.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Aside from the fact that Melbourne clearly is the best, my comment was tongue-in-cheek.

However, I rarely see any suggestions on how to fix the current issues or explanations on why some clubs seem to have these issues but others don't.

Port doesn't seem to be losing a bunch of quality players - in fact they are doing the opposite. Sydney doesn't haemorrhage players either. West Coast and Freo don't seem to have massive issues with the only one of note I can recall leaving in recent times (off the top of my head) being Weller who didn't even go to a Vic club.

The Lions and Suns have had serious issues with losing players for mostly obvious reasons. GWS whole strategy was around drafting so many kids from Vic that they knew they'd lose some but that it would allow them to spread their list profile. The Crows seem to be the anomaly, particularly when compared to Port, so maybe there is more to it than sponsorship and media opportunities (not that they wouldn't effect the situation in some way but I highly doubt it's the key driver).

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/michael-christian-to-replace-afl-match-review-panel-under-new-judiciary-system-20171214-h04gp5.html

:D

I can't see anything that could possibly go wrong with putting all that power into the hands of one guy

Na, it couldn't be any worse than the previous system.

quote:

Collingwood premiership player Michael Christian will be the lone ranger of the revamped MRP.

I stand corrected.

But seriously, as long as they are consistent with the gradings over the course of the season and refer more complex/severe poo poo to the tribunal then it should be ok. But that was the case with the previous system as well and they failed miserably at that so I'm not sure what the changes do to address those issues.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Either the Dees training camp was legit dangerous and they got lucky with injuries last year or the players are a bunch of babies.

Of course it's almost impossible to make any kind of real judgement unless you are there, but that can't be a good sign either way for them.

Crows possibly having post GF loss hangover/morale drop?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Dees aren't having the best off-season so far.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/melbourne-demons/melbourne-player-investigated-for-alleged-sexual-assault-20171221-h08npw.html

quote:

Victoria Police are investigating a player from the Melbourne football club over an alleged sexual assault that occurred in Bali in September.

A Melbourne woman made the complaint to police.

The Demons confirmed to The Age that they were aware the police had received a report of the alleged incident, however no charges have been laid.

Melbourne informed the AFL's integrity unit of the allegation as soon as they became aware of it, as part of the AFL's new respect and responsibility complaints process that was introduced in October.

In this case the issue was considered serious enough to be immediately referred to Victoria Police.

The AFL referred the matter to Victoria Police.

Melbourne were tight-lipped about the details of the incident but provided a statement to Fairfax Media in relation to the allegation.

"The Melbourne Football Club is aware of allegations involved with the player and the club has referred the matter to the AFL Integrity Unit," the statement said.

"The Melbourne Football Club will fully co-operate with the process and while this is undertaken the club will make no further comment in response to the matter."

The accused player has not been named but Melbourne were expected to inform staff on Thursday that an investigation was taking place.

Police confirmed that they received a report in October about an alleged sexual offence in Bali and had spoken to the complainant as a result.

In a statement, police said the complainant had not so far made a formal statement.

"On October 2 Victoria Police received a report about an alleged sexual offence that occurred in Bali in September this year," the statement said.

"Police have spoken to the complainant however the complainant has not engaged investigators further...

"The complainant was also advised that primacy of the investigation would sit with Indonesian authorities. "

"Victoria Police's priority is the victim's safety and welfare," police said. "They are always in control of what happens next.

"The reality is that some victims come to us to have their story heard but they may not want to go through the process of the court case.

"We want victims to receive the assistance they deserve, whether that be from us or support services."

An AFL spokesperson said that "out of respect to all parties involved, the AFL won't be making any comment."

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Considering so many of you have kids there is a distinct lack of photos of adorable kids in team colours in this thread.

And to save me double posting:
https://twitter.com/MitchKeat/status/946548581476974592

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

tnimark posted:

My 7yo has recently become significantly more interested in pro-wrestling than AFL football and I gotta admit, he’s right to be. It’s better.

Attitude era or bust imo.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDrg0ACDbsw

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

:3:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Pretty sweet beanie you got there - no sponsor logos on things is always a massive bonus. The Saints have an option to donate your member scarf/etc to people that need it so I pretty much always do that these days.

Any Dons members get the scarf this year? I heard it was particularly bad quality.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

And cutting to a horserace halfway through the quarter, two or three times a game.

That's loving ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPFWL1QFLdQ

Not sure the rivalry is as big as they make it out to be, but I always enjoy seeing Americans talk about footy.

• Locked thread