Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Excellent OP!

Just to get this on the first page, of course we'll have our usual tipping competition (that half the field ragequits after the fourth round). If you were in it last year, you'll be rolled over into the new season. Otherwise, you can sign up at
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips

The password is goons.

EDIT: Actually, since this seems to be my thing now, here's a few more links to look out if you're into analysis, datavis and other statistical voodoo
https://www.championdata.com/ - the official statistics partner of the AFL, but they don't give too much away, and their method for "official player ratings" isn't exactly transparent. They're pretty stingy with the public data too.

The off-Broadway scene is a bit more vibrant.
http://www.matterofstats.com/ - Matter of Stats
http://footymaths.blogspot.com/ - Footy Maths Institute
https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/ - Hurling People Now
https://thearcfooty.com/ - The Arc - did some very interesting datavis in 2016, also getting into the rating game this year.
https://figuringfooty.com/ - Figuring Footy

http://afltables.com/ - very good repository of historical data and stats
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ - good as a supplement to the above.

http://graft.grudnuk.com/ - My own little thing. I started posting about my rating system for form tracking with some probability stuff on the footy threads and went a little more public with it last year. I still try a lot of my weird ideas here first.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Are we going to need to have the designated rucks in different coloured jumpers or something

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

From what I'm here they're talking about moving it to Princes Park which would be much better for this sort of thing

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

What are they doing with Victoria Park with the moment, anyway?

I guess this might've been one of the reasons Hawthorn didn't put a bid in since neither Glenferrie or Waverley are really suitable, they'd probably have to lean on Box Hill (which indeed they now have for the state women's comp)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

You'll find that a lot of suburban ovals and playing fields were built on what used to be tips.

Where the gently caress is Ikon Park?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Like all these grounds change their paid-for name every 2-3 years and its hard to keep track.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah that's one of the good things about the ABC's approach. I'll have to think about the canonical name for the new stadium in Perth next year, I guess I'll call it Burswood Stadium anyway, assuming they're already got some sponsor lined up for the marketing name. I'm sticking with Eureka Stadium for Ballarat since there's at least a pretty good clue to where it is.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

realbez posted:

Wasn't it Visy between Optus and Ikon? Nobody plays there but we can still sell the naming rights!
Yeah I think Visy. MC Labour also got their graf on the sign as well (or was that Kardinia Park?)

Anyway, confusing as hell. I think the clubs get a bit of change for the naming rights because it gets mentioned when they talk about training or VFL games there.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is there a goon tipping group thing for the women's league?

Is it incorporated into the mens one? I know I am in the mens one, but dunno if I need to do something to lose to goons in not one but two tipping comps.
I actually just now added it to the SAS comp.

I might also cull anyone who hasn't logged in since the beginning of 2016, but if you've been given the chop it's easy enough to join up again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

This is cool and good. Make sure your niece gets to lots of games and barracks really loudly.

Speaking of cool and good; check out Freo's new training facilities https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/first-look-at-the-dockers-new-cockburn-facility-ng-b88366567z

How long until a player gets stuck in or injured going down one of the waterslides?
I dunno but you just know Cow Dude is gonna be all over that poo poo.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

thepokey posted:

Photos of people climbing over the walls to get in after the lockout is insane. Anyone who thought keeping it at the original ground was mad.

There are going to be some sore bodies tomorrow! It was a bit fumbly and I imagine a lot of nerves but man that was hard and Vescio and Jakobson were awesome. And really good to see Sarah Hosking out there and hopefully Jess can join soon
Yeah, I think the standard will get pretty good over the next few weeks.

The top players are obviously pretty seasoned from playing in existing comps, the less experienced ones should improve as they get their legs and skills up.

At this stage I'll be following the Giants for now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I picked the wrong team to follow :stare:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Sort of hope we can get a losing team to score more than one goal though. Like I said it's early days and I think 3-4 games in, all the teams will have their systems sorted out. You gotta start somewhere though.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

On the upside, at least Brisbane have a competitive team now.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Weirdly the sport I probably watch the most of now after footy is road cycling. (Actually all cycling, because track and cyclocross and BMX, all of that is pretty great, but that usually only comes to prominence at the Olympics and such)

Half the point of watching it is the scenery and the roadside weirdos.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I've been farting around with the ratings for the AFLW, since obviously we don't have much to go on at the start I decided to start all the ratings on the same foot (and give them a zero base). Only differentiation was home state advantage, which I've kept as 12 points even though the games are a bit shorter at this stage.

It's like going back to when I started doing this all those years ago because I'm doing the working out by hand.
code:
Rd 1
                                         prediction  result          swg  now      swg  now	
CAR   0 vs COL    0 - Princes Park   (V) ---      0  CAR by 35  CAR  +35  +35 COL  -35  -35
ADE   0 vs GWS    0 - Thebarton Oval (S) ADE by  12  ADE by 36  ADE  +24  +24 GWS  -24  -24
WBD   0 vs FRE    0 - Whitten Oval   (V) WBD by  12  WBD by 32  WBD  +20  +20 FRE  -20  -20
MEL   0 vs BRL    0 - Casey Fields   (V) MEL by  12  BRL by 15  MEL  -27  -27 BRL  +27  +27

CAR +35
BRL +27
ADE +24
WBD +20
FRE -20 
GWS -24
MEL -27
COL -35
After the first two games this weekend this is how it's shaping up.
code:
Rd 2 				
                                         prediction  result          swg  now      swg  now	
WBD +20 vs ADE  +24 - Whitten Oval   (V) WBD by  12  ADE by 25  WBD  -37  -17 ADE  +35  +59
CAR +35 vs GWS  -24 - Princes Park   (V) CAR by  17  CAR by 13  CAR   -4  +31 GWS   +4  -20
COL -35 vs MEL  -27 - Princes Park   (V) MEL by   1  
FRE -20 vs BRL  +27 - Fremantle Oval (W) FRE by   7

ADE +59 (+35)
CAR +31 ( -4)
BRL +27
WBD -17 (-37)
FRE -20 
GWS -20 ( +4)
MEL -27
COL -35

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Why is it -37 for the Bulldogs but only +35 for Adelaide?
Uhh that's a good question, should've left this to the compeuter. Brainfart. Should be +37 for Adelaide of course.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

This is looking better

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeahhhhhh Back In Town

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

This is really good footy from the Dees this quarter, good linkages and supporting each other.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

:stare:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Jesus the Princes Park rooms can't have changed in 50 years

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Update ratings (I got the numbers for the Crows correct this time)

ADE +61 (+37)
CAR +31 ( -4)
BRL +27
MEL -9 (+18)
WBD -17 (-37)
FRE -20
GWS -20 ( +4)
COL -53 (-18)

(The idea is that 10 ratings points = 1 behind on the scoreboard)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

aww gently caress I forgot mine

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

That was a fake goalpost

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

harperdc posted:

your average bout of jumper-punching would be the season's worst fight in American baseball, football, soccer, or basketball. we've legislated rough play or any kind of reaction out of sports, and it's all happened in the last 20 years - go see highlights of basketball in the 1970s or 80s and you'll see the difference.
At least ice hockey is still cool.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

If you're trying to watch the stream on your iPad, the AFL (and Foxtel) says gently caress you.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

why are there people dressed up as whitegoods at the Giants v Freo game?????
Apparently in support of Farrugia.

Think about it...

E:F,B.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah, I think the GF would fill out Docklands pretty nicely (if it was to be held in Melbourne), Perth and Adelaide have a few options as well. Not sure what one there are in Brisbane, though, there's a bit of a leap from that suburban oval up to the Gabba, I'm not sure there are any QAFL club grounds that can fit that 10-15 thousand mark.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

pkid posted:

Bounce it at the start of every quarter to keep a bit of tradition in the game and be done with it.
This seems like a reasonable solution. I like the theatre of the bounce (much as I like the twirl of the goal flags) and keeping it for the start of quarters feels right, but after that do ball ups. This way you only need one who's competent at it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Install rockets in the ball, place ball on ground, initiate thrusters
Whole 20 minutes of quarter elapses while everyone's waiting for the ball to come down. Which, when it does, it does so somewhere in the Bass Strait, so they have to relaunch.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It seems that http://www.footytips.com.au/ has some new T&Cs which require reactivating your account - just a case of logging into your existing account and ticking the box thingy.

Anyway, the comp details are the same as usual and as far as I can see everyone who was in it last year should be automatically re-entered.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I was at this game.
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2017-02-24/the-last-win-at-arden-street

gently caress I'm getting old.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It is happening again. It is happening - again.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well so much for that.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I think it's worthwhile to stick with the current number for at least next year.

My radical solution is to shorten the men's season (because by god if that stupid 17-5 idea comes up...) and make the women's season a bit longer. Obviously there's things like TV rights to deal with so the 22 game season probably won't change, but I think it wouldn't hurt to have the AFLW overlap into autumn and maybe have their GF during one of the AFLM bye weeks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Periphery posted:

I'm constantly surprised by how seriously some supporters take the preseason games and the ridiculous conclusions they jump to because of it.
Yeah, I'm never super bothered by the scoreline if it's close, more interested in how various players are shaping up.

I doubt I'll get to the Saints vs Swans match at Lavi because it's a evening game (which is OK considering it can get stupid hot here even in March) but it starts at 7.10pm on a Sunday (wtf).

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also weren't Gold Coast reluctant to play in China anyways until the AFL made them?

So they'll go "We get to wear our home jersey AND we don't have to play here next year? Sounds good to us."

edit: Another thing. Is Koch so scared/petty/precious that the few curious and baffled Chinese people watching the game might barrack for the opposition due to the colour of the jersey? Something like that is easily fixed. If he was really serious about breaking into China, do a media blitz in the preseason, (now), send a few players over for photo ops etc. Or if you don't want to send them to Shanghai, just take a bunch of pictures in Chinatown in Adelaide and circulate them to whichever station that is broadcasting the game in China. I mean, what's the worse that can happen from allowing GC to wear red? The Port players get a few half hearted boos in a chinese accent?
Get Chad Wingard onto If You Are The One

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

They still play sons of the west for the women :crossarms:
I thought they did a new version for the daughters? Maybe Carlton didn't get the CD...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

I got hassled by security in the last quarter because I was taking photos with my mirrorless camera, came up and asked me who I represented, was I working tonight, then told me it was illegal to take photos, and that if I didn't put it away it'd be confiscated.

Told him the difference between breaking the conditions of entry and the law, explained the rule was for commercial grade cameras which mine was not, and that a guy from Weslo doesn't actually have the right to confiscate a feeling let alone a camera, but he wouldn't leave until I put it away and I wanted to watch the game.

gently caress the AFL.
Gotta love hi-vis hitlers. A couple of years back I went to one of those winery gigs, with an actual plastic seat up front, and even though there were things periodically splashed up on the jumbotron saying you could at least dance in front of your seat, some goon made it his business to try and get everyone sit down like good little boys and girls until Tim Rogers, who saw all this going on from the stage, told him to back the gently caress off.

I loving hate winery gigs.

• Locked thread