Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Brilliant OP Gough! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Only thing missing and I'll see if I can have a look for it later but is probably my favourite picture from the last few OP's which is the Norf fans in the crowd flipping the double birds at whoever is in their line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

But I wasn't mad at you all I did was disagree with you. Strongly

I disagree with the existence of the Hawks. Strongly. But I think Roughy is a good choice and good for him. I would assume that if he wasn't up for it they wouldn't have offered it and he wouldn't have accepted it, so the fact both those things happened is as good a sign as any that he's good for the job.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

Patrick and Barney are having a baby?

I'm feeling Gray is the perfect name?

I'm feeling Gray Dangerfield.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

What's the deal with TV coverage for the womens games?

I know the Carlton/Collingwood game is on Free TV, but will teh other ones be covered?

I am considering heading into the city on the weekend to watch a game, but if it will be too hard to find, then it's not worth it.

As far as I can find, these are the FTA games on 7:

Friday Feb 3 - Collingwood v Carlton
Saturday Feb 4 - Bulldogs v Fremantle
Saturday Feb 11 - Collingwood v Melbourne
Saturday Feb 18 - Bulldogs v Melbourne
Saturday Feb 25 - Bulldogs v Collingwood
Saturday March 4 - Crows v Lions
Saturday March 11 - Crows v Melbourne
Saturday March 18 - Giants v Bulldogs
Saturday March 25 - Grand Final

Fremantle, Lions, Carlton and Giants all only get one FTA game each. All games are on Fox too.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So I asked this last year but was too late to try it out during NAB cup or whatever the wizard homeloan cup is called now (and I guess the women's league if that's free streaming of all games?)

But say I wanted to watch more games streaming. Can I buy a google chromecast and then use an AFL.com subscription service to watch it on TV? And then if that works I can just use a VPN to buy a league pass thingy and can stream games when they aren't FTA? And if I did that, do you just need the VPN to purchase the pass or do you need to use the VPN every time you want to watch?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

So, what is this chromecast dealy? Is it for your mobile? Because it's dead easy to whack an hdmi cable into the back of a laptop and output the image to your telly

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even think of that. I watch stuff that way from my Surface on TV all the time and for some reason it didn't dawn on me to do otherwise. I imagine the lag/delay would be a lot less this way too. Will give it a shot during the women's league/nab cup

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I was not 100% who I wanted to support as Essendon has no team. Leaned towards the Doggies and think before the first bounce tonight I'm gonna stick with that and declare myself a Women's Bulldogs fan. Super happy they made KB captain!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Photos of people climbing over the walls to get in after the lockout is insane. Anyone who thought keeping it at the original ground was mad.

There are going to be some sore bodies tomorrow! It was a bit fumbly and I imagine a lot of nerves but man that was hard and Vescio and Jakobson were awesome. And really good to see Sarah Hosking out there and hopefully Jess can join soon

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gabensraum posted:

Can you link these photos?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, I think the standard will get pretty good over the next few weeks.

The top players are obviously pretty seasoned from playing in existing comps, the less experienced ones should improve as they get their legs and skills up.

At this stage I'll be following the Giants for now.

It'll be so interesting to look back at the games from round 1 2017 compared to round 8 2017,and then say round 1 2022 and just see how different experience and years in the system is. Will be some insane improvement.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

pkid posted:

The Women's jumper designs of both the Crows and Dogs is superior to the mens.
Discuss.

There is no discussion. They just are. Same with Carlton.

Go Doggies!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Kearney, Brennan and Blackburn...thems my favs! I reckon if it goes on long enough without an Essendon women's team it might be hard to switch back across.

One thing I did notice tonight was some of the changes in bodies even since the all star game last year. Was a few girls you could tell really benefited from a summer in the gym with an AFL club

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The other problem I've noticed with a lot of the handballs isn't just the handballer, but the receiver. They've either fumbled it or just not been prepared for it. I'd assume this will just be an experience/nerves thing too where they just haven't been prepared/in the exact right place to back up their team mate with the ball. I think pretty much most skill errors and strength/conditioning factors get a pass for quite a while, probably even beyond this year. If they're still present in 3-4 years time then maybe more questions could be asked of what about the system isn't working but its way too early to call that. And plus, as noted, the main thing you'd want at this point is just to see there is effort, and bloody hell is there effort because they're going in hard.
But skill errors and all, its just going to be fun watching it change and develop!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Nice DDT by Tesoriero

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

...get to tell their grandkids they were the first ones rubbed out for a game in the womens comp.

One thing I was surprised at is how willowy a lot of the girls are. I just figured they would have some meat on them like most mens players do.

I mentioned it before but I actually noticed a few girls seem to have bulked up a fair bit, at least in comparison to how they looked around the time of the all star game last year. For example I remember in that game noticing Brianna Green who looked tiny and I was amazed how she wasn't just pulverized at any contest. But then seeing her for Freo on the weekend, and she's still small but looked like she had a fair amount more muscle on her just from the pre-season work I imagine.

What do they do during the rather large off season? I assume most would go back to their original clubs and it would be business as normal, but do they have free access to the AFL training facilities too or have more official AFLW training at all or is that pretty much all put on hold until the start of their official pre-season again?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I think one of the most fun experiences I've had going to watch a sport for the first time was going to the baseball in the US. First game I saw was the Padres vs the Cubs in San Diego ... it was an awful game but the whole atmosphere and presentation was brilliant. I think I enjoyed it at a smaller ground like than that I did at Yankee Stadium a few weeks later. I saw a college football game between Lubbock and Texas State and that was just intense. The whole town of Lubbock basically went into shut down mode for the day and it seemed totally insanely over the top, but I guess thats college football. People seem more passionate about that in places than the NFL. I really appreciate the skill and set plays and everything about American Football, but the constant stop start just takes me out of it.

Still waiting to see my first NBA game live .. hoping for my first one to be watching my Knicks get slaughtered at the Garden.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gabensraum posted:

Watch AFL trip report

Yeah I tried hooking the laptop up to TV with HDMI last night for the game and while the speed was fine with no buffering it was that pixelated mess where half, or at least the bottom third of the screen would look awful. Didn't play around with the settings though which I should have but at least it ran smoothly. Will give it another go with lower settings next time

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Can Katie Brennan please replace Luke Darcy on Saturday nights too

Dees looking amazing here!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Essendon would be keen to set up a trade with St Kilda for Yestin Eades. Maybe take their first round pick or Billings or something

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I ended up down the youtube rabbit hole tonight due to procrastination. Was watching some American reactions to AFL and in one video they showed Hodge's goal post decapitation attempt and seemed the main reaction is Hodge should never play again and couldn't believe he was protesting innocence. Americans are dealing with Trump but they still know true evil when they see it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Volkerball posted:

The don't know a good bloke when they see one because they don't even know what a bloke is.

Alternative good bloke

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Is tonight's game streamed by AFL like last year/women's games?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Ok so I need a VPN to watch it on a laptop/TV but I don't on my mobile? That makes sense

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

watchafl.com.au you will need a vpn or dns proxy. AFL live pass you can watch in Aus with no VPN but only on mobile devices.

edit: they are separate websites/services

Looks like the VPN won't work on my laptop for watchafl.com.au and gently caress watching it on my phone, guess I'll do something else with my evening then

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Watched the 3rd on my phone. Actually quite enjoyed that. Nice to see us getting run off half back and multiple effective F50 entries. Nice link up handballs, some quick ball movement and good decision making. It's 1 quarter of the wizard home loans cup but I guess it feels like so long since I saw us play like that that it was just nice to see at all

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah I had no buffering issues with watchafl last night, although admittedly only watched 1 quarter. The quality of the stream was really good...I just don't want to watch non FTA games on my phone is all

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Hawthorn win already, this season is awful

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

get them to return the 93 and 2000 cups at the same time as Watson's brownlow, save on courier costs.

Right, and then you'll have Carlton bragging about being the outright most successful club. Be careful the monster you create.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

Can we figure out a way that both Buckley and Hardwick get the sack as a result of the Tigers v Pies game in round two? Both will probably gone halfway through the year if they clearly aren't going to make finals.

I do wonder how much the possible firing of a coach plays into the decision of which coaches to have on 360. It'd be great tv at the time of the sacking but could get a bit awkward after a few weeks.

Robbo could hit him with some tough questions like "whaddaya w, uh, wwheres dyo think yyyou ugh I mean, what's deal Bucks?"

e: just realised Robbo is the AFL's own Dr Steve Brule

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

If some people external and separate to the club in whatever capacity want to appeal, or hell, not appeal, just investigate ASADA's investigation as to how it was bungled/made worse than it should have been - hey go for it. Even though Essendon's shoddy book keeping and Hird's appealing etc made ASADA's job 10x harder. If it's Essendon themselves, gently caress right off. What would appealing AGAIN achieve? You can't take back the time the players were suspended. If you cleared the name/got Jobe's medal back...eh, I'd say the ability to move on here and now means more. That said, I doubt Essendon want anything more to do with it themselves now. They've settled all the lawsuits, the suspensions are done, the shitstains responsible are cleared out. As the kids like to sing - let it go, let it goooo

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Richmond a sure thing for the flag now I reckon

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Constant "unknown error" when trying to play watchafl for the Bombers game. What a service.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I got it working briefly in the third quarter. Was great quality and no buffering or anything when it did. Then back to unknown error.

But, uh, was Daniher injured because I didn't see him at all then saw he had 1 handball for -1 DT point on the footy live app.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

I think sheila is the female counterpart of bloke.

Top bird and good chick will probably factor in there too

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Not strictly footy related but I was just sat opposite Tegan Higginbotham on the train for 2 stops. Just told her I thought her input in helping to present and promote the Women's League was really awesome, even for a Carlton fan. She was super nice and seemed genuinely happy someone acknowledged it so that was a nice little thing for today!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I think they need to worry about expanding the current team's list sizes first to account for things like injuries. I'd love to see it expand and have new teams ... I'd love for there to be an Essendon team one day, although by then it might be harder to switch away from the Bulldogs .. particularly if Brennan, Blackburn and Kearney are still playing! But I do understand that some people really can only fill fully committed when their colours are on the field. But I feel like adding too many teams too quickly could just prolong the process of getting the competition to a really healthy state talent-wise. At the moment it would be spread a bit thin ... but agree with most others here - give it a few more years for these Auskick kids to see there is a real serious avenue to go down by continuing on with their footy and with that the influx of girls getting involved at a younger age and it won't be too long before there will be enough great talent to warrant X number of new teams.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Spedman posted:

That first comment

My Dad and I met him when we did a job for him (not that kind of job) and he struck me as absolutely the kind of guy. Whether he was putting it on or not but he was totally playing up the Tony Soprano stuff pretty hard.

The bit that I find the most amazing in this...and I really shouldn't given #standbyhird, but the fact that to some people the most disgusting thing about all of this is that Essendon referred to Dean Wallis as "a disgruntled former employee". I saw a few comments which were all "this is a disgusting way to treat former champions of the club, he was a 2 time premiership player! Not just a former employee". Really seems if you do well on the field it trumps all else! If I ever get into trouble I'm going to remind people I was employee of the month in July 2007 for Optus.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Despite giving up a 40 points lead to lose by 20, thus a 60 point turn around, I was actually pretty happy with the Bombers today. There were just things being done that were rarely sighted in the past few years. Moving the ball quickly, lots of linking handballs to players who were in the right position and not under pressure rather than just going constantly sideways and then when they are forced to move forward its to the wrong man. Some good inside 50 deliveries that were often fast enough to catch Geelong unawares. Actually taking a few key marks inside 50 too. You can never be too happy with that kind of loss, even in preseason, but hell at least there are signs that there is a plan and they have been working towards it over summer.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

lol at people on bigfooty chucking tantrums because Andy McGrath isn't "stamping his mark on the game" already. Dude hasn't even played a H&A game yet. Although some of them do bring up a good point which is our defense looking a bit old and slow. Probably where we are going to be caught quite often by small forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Apes are also big and strong so when you think about it its really a compliment

• Locked thread