Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

boy undead posted:

Picks 25 and 30 to the Dogs, Jake Stringer to the Bombers.

:chanpop:

Didn’t someone work out that 25 + 30 on points = 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Actually it's 55 you idiot, you fool

:aaaaa:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Windmill Hut posted:

Essendon turn 11 and a future 3rd into Stringer, Saad and Smith.

gently caress

Don’t worry, as I said before we have no inside mids really do those guys will find it hard actually getting the ball

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Testekill posted:

Oh Stringer is a mercurial forward now he's at the Bummers.

24 hours ago and he was talked about in much different terms.

Kind of like how so many Bulldogs supporters suddenly rated him a great chance to turn his life around and be a great servant to the club that other clubs didn’t respect when it was looking like he was going to stay.

Hasn’t he only finished in the dogs top 10 once in the past few years? I’m far less excited about him than Saad and Smith. I mean, for 25 and 30 in a weak draft I’ll take him, but not without hesitation. Could easily see his next year, no matter where he played, being an even further drop in form given his situation.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Isn’t Stringer in the US? Was that photo taken before he left optimistically? Or just a ‘shop?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

There are a number of potential inside mids but none that have proven form at the AFL level.

Kobe Mutch came runner up in the VFL B&F spending a bit of time as an inside mid and Dylan Clarke has been quite good at VFL level playing full time inside mid too (although he kicks like the wog kids at school who don't give a gently caress about footy). Both of those guys are first year players who show a bit of promise. There is also the expectation that Kyle Langford will be able to step up, although to date he hasn't done a lot outside of the VFL. Josh Begley is another first year player who might be able to make the transition from forward to midfield. Jayden Laverde certainly has the physique to play that big bodied midfielder role but injuries have hampered his development. Andrew McGrath should make the transition from defender to midfielder easily enough and while he's pretty small his stoppage work was quite good as a junior and was able to rack up some pretty huge numbers. There's also Jake Stringer, to date it looks like he goes alright in bursts in the midfield but never got the fitness to spend more time there. It sounds like he'll be training mostly with the midfield group this preseason so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

It looks like there will be a lot of players rotating heavily between the midfield and the forward line, hopefully at least a couple of them will be able to become full time inside mids but time will tell I guess.

Either they know something we don't or they have a lot of misplaced confidence. I mean all of these options like Mutch, Clarke, Begs, McGrath, Parish, Stringer, Laverde etc could end up being the inside mids we needs, but they're really all unproven at the top level/not ready yet. Really struggle to see where our inside work comes from.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

I know who Morgan is! He's the guy the Dons took with a pick they got in the Carlisle trade.

The trade that now looks like this:

Francis (played 5 games total and requested a trade to SA this year with no takers), Bird (delisted) and Morgan (delisted).
for
Carlisle (22 games this year and 4th in the B&F) and Gresham (has played 40 games total and is a future superstar).

Don't forget Carlisle also played a vital role in mark of the year!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

Not gonna quote the whole thing cause the ABC deserves your clicks:

Who the gently caress gets so worked up over footy that they make a death threat to a player, let alone making it into a cut and paste crafting exercise? :psyduck:

The same people who want to get out and do physical harm to others in traffic because they were beeped at or something I assume. Whatever their issues are would go well beyond footy.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Jesus titty loving christ Rory Sloane is 27 already?!?! Where did the time go holy ffffffffffffff

Yeah that blew my mind too, also Gibbs seen as entering the twilight of his career at Adelaide. Yet at the same time when Jobe retired it felt like he’d only just started his career while at the same time thinking of him running around as a fat forward in Sheedy’s forward line feels like a lifetime ago.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

National draft. The rookie draft is like an ad break during the soft drink chat show

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

Yeah, a mid season draft makes sense to cover the unexpected losses. A trade period might just end up being good players in poo poo clubs trying to get traded up the ladder.

Yeah this would be my concern, I'd prefer a state league draft over a inter-club trade period. Although I suspect state leagues would be pretty pissed losing good players and possibly screwing their season.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Windmill Hut posted:

I still hate that Richmond won the GF

Same. It’s the worst GF result in my 32 years of living.

That being said, I am enjoying a deliciously refreshing Vanilla Coke for the first time in a number of years too right now!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Periphery posted:

It'll be pretty funny when Essendon don't even make the 8 next season. :getin:

Fully expecting us to not make the 8, what with not having any inside mids or anything. But still, when Essendon do win the flag some day it'll be wonderful because they are the best!

Speaking of 8, take away 1 and you have 7 and I am enjoying a delicious can of 7up right now. It's been an old school soft drink kind of day.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

But we ain't spending any time on it

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I still get asked all the time why I don’t want to have kids, theres a multitude of reasons but ultimately I just don’t like them. You guys capture the essence of that point - look at you guys, you’re all giddy over them as you should be. I point to you guys as what kids deserve. Having a kid would be the cruelest thing I could do to the kid because it wouldn’t deserve that, so my hat is off to you guys for how much you care because your kids and future kids are getting the right people as Dads and Uncles (I don’t think we have any women posters, but if we do - mums and aunts!)

Footy talk: as far as I’m aware, AFLX doesn’t have a broadcast partner yet. I’d be surprised if it was on free to air TV. While I ultimately don’t care too much about it, I am curious enough to want to watch it so hopefully it lands somewhere reasonably accessible.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

cmndstab posted:

Oh man, I forgot about him :3: What was his name again? He was great.

Sorry if you still post here and I just forgot, awesome confused American guy!

Edit: Oh that's right, he ended up supporting Gold Coast, didn't he? Awkward :(

Oh man I forgot we got an American to do the OP ... was it OysterToadFish? Volkerball still pops in and out who was the Gold Coast fan ... poor dude.

Who was it that came up with Main/Side Eggs though? That wasn't either of them from memory...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

AFLX 2018 - Step aside Big Bash, footy is about to get XTREME!

thepokey fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 7, 2018

• Locked thread