Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

snaeksikn posted:

its disgustingly humid for half the year with none of the good things you can find in either sydney or melbourne. its like people who live there dont actually realise there are better places on the east coast because i cant think of any other reason someone would willingly live there

The disgustingly humid/weather part is pretty much the only reason I would live in Brisbane. I know I'm a freak who loves the heat and especially humidity, but yeah, even that wouldn't be enough. But I guess for anyone who wants Brisbane without the hot weather then there's always Cranbourne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

What's the super coach code again please

I don't think there is a league set up yet. I've set a goon one up the past couple of years and happy to do so again but won't get a chance to until tomorrow. Not sure who normally does the Ultimate Footy, but is that a go again this year with a draft?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Thanks for setting those up! Draft this Sunday works for me

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Why did someone feel the need to very poorly photoshop a footy into this picture? :psyduck:

For cover so that people don't think Plugger actually is a member of the ministry of silly walks

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Aww gently caress. Yes he's kind of annoying but not BT levels of annoying.

He's sort of endearing annoying. Besides "off a step" which is very bad. But this is awful news :( apparently he will be commentating next week though and plans to keep doing so which is good. Good both for us not having someone much worse fill his shoes and good for him that he is feeling up to it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

Ntrabbit you might as well delete me (sharkdogs) from the SuperCoach league. I've lost interest already. I think it will auto delete me if I don't finish my team, but there's no option to delete the account. Websites that won't let you delete accounts are bad imho

Are you saying that the Herald Sun is bad?

e: I remember when I stupidly signed up to their paywall bullshit when they first started it and they were offering 3 months free, the reality soon set in that I'd be giving Rupert my money which I refuse to do. But to cancel the membership even before I'd been charged any money you had to go through this process where you put in a "request" to cancel it. Then someone from their retention department would ring you up and try to get you to stay. She "completely understood" my position of not wanting to give money to a Bond villain and then asked how I'd feel instead about transferring my membership to some other papers also owned by Rupert. Very bad.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Are we able to join the UF draft 10-15 mins late or does it lock out once it starts? Late getting home now and pushing it for 8pm

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also go tayla harris

Probably the most petty of reasons to be picking against Brisbane but seeing as the Dogs aren't there, I'm going for Adelaide because Tayla Harris thinks Dustin Martin is a wonderful human being. Plus y'know, Perkins, Marinoff and Phillips with premiership medals will be awesome

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I have a feeling round 1 is going to be pretty ugly for us. We might have a patch of play which we serve it up to the Hawks, but otherwise I feel like they're going to run rampant on us.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So is the UF draft postponed again?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

WHat a stupid default rule set up by UF. I assume then that 3hrs before the draft there's a way of stopping people from signing up because if someone slips a new team in after that time it screws things up again?

Also, please make Wylie Buzza the captain of the Dummy Team

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

On the couch is worse. Seeing loving David King give a critical analysis of Carlton's loss to the saints in the JLT is just eye rolling stuff

Was it because Carlton didn't score more points than St Kilda?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

What a strange team, for better or worse, you're all Tiprats this year

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Wylie Buzza's crack company are well stocked with stars of the game.

If Wylie Buzza is the captain, can little Billy Frampton be vice?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

These are my awful predictions

GWS
Sydney
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Geelong
West Coast
Gold Coast
---
Fremantle
St Kilda
Melbourne
Port
Collingwood
Richmond
Essendon
Norf
Carlton
Brisbane

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

The Bombers haven't played competitive footy together in a year (you could make the argument it's been at least 2). They need time to gel and it's gonna cost em games.

This is why I can't fathom people thinking we will return to finals this year. First half of the season we will have to deal with a team gelling together to play with each other and a new coach and new style. Woosha said last year he purposefully didn't even really try to start imposing the style he wanted them to play given the circumstances. So it's all going to be really new. Second half of the year you'd hope they would be more settled with each other and the plan, but with kids and a bunch of players returning from a year off match fitness will get us. So I think we will still struggle overall but hopefully show some nice patches and glimpses of where it could go once things return to normality. People say the drug saga is behind us and this is the first year we are playing without it effecting us since 2011 (if you consider that 2012 it was affecting us because it was going on behind closed doors then). But I still think this year will be one you could count as disrupted and unorthodox because of how many returning players there are. 2018 for me will be the first "normal" year since 2011 for us.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

In depth analysis of tonight's game:

Judging by the people in the city wearing footy clothes, there are far more attractive Richmond fans than Carlton fans therefore Richmond will win tonight. Give me David King's job.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

The people saying Essendon will play finals are almost certainly the people who believe James Did Nothing Wrong

I've actually heard it more from non-Essendon supporters. There were also a lot of non-Essendon supporters last year who seemed to think that because we were getting superstars like Kelly, Ballantyne and Jamar that we would be a surprise finals contender. I'll be the first to admit that as much as I love footy, there are people who know so much more about it than I do. But it blows my mind the way some people must see the game.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

i think the other thing to is that every player needs to play a role on the field, and not every one gets to play the superstar even though they may actually end up being pretty good at it once they get the opportunity. so in the instance of essendon they had guys brought in to play a highly visible role who maybe wouldnt have earned it otherwise and although they may have acquitted themselves reasonably well, its a bit of a false indicator because the pecking order at the club has been shuffled around all again.

merrett had a great year, but would he have had hit the same heights if heppell and watson were on the park? he would have been good for sure, but certainly wouldnt have had the same level of opportunity and responsibility put on his shoulders with those other two there.

i think its reasonable to expect that they will come back without a lot of team synergy across the middle and backline, and backlines in particular take a long time to gel together. regardless how it has happened, the sheer destabilisation to the side says they won't be making finals.

freo are the really interesting team this year, they are such an unknown quantity and could really throw up some wildcards

Agreed. But not just that, I mean, possibly I could see people's point if we were recruiting players like Kelly and Ballantyne when they were in their prime but we were picking up basically retirees. Not that Kelly wasn't good and Matt Dea turned out good too. But it was bizarre hearing people last year think Essendon were being "handed a finals berth" as if we were given Dangerfield, Franklin and Goldstein or something.

Our backline is going to be a worry this year. It just seems slow to me and smaller quicker forwards will carve us up at times so I think you're right with that taking more time to gel but even when it does I think it'll be lacking.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

If Dusty wins a Brownlow then surely he'll be the first winner to try and glass someone on stage when getting his medal

e: every time I ever try to type Brownlow on my phone it autocorrects it to Brownload

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

Just hire Sam pang ffs

If Carlton get Sam Pang, then I want Damian Cowell for Essendon banners :colbert:

e: Although I think he's for the Saints. RHB was Richmond from memory.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Go Bombers!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

lol Jordan you have the call

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Ok that was pretty drat good! :D

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

realbez posted:

I think the bombers supporters might boo as much as west coast

To be fair though it was booing Hawks so it's warranted and understandable

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I agree, only one ruck for the centre bounce is dumb af and should be scrapped immediately

Robert Walls' account uncovered

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah I think anyone who thinks it's alarm bells because Hawthorn lost their first game of the season with quite a new look team is probably being a bit over the top. I'd say there are probably just 3 elements at play: they underestimated Essendon; Essendon are potentially better/better prepared than most thought; and Hawthorn will just take a bit of time to click with a new look team. They'll click into gear soon enough I'm guessing and while it might not be the same dominant Hawthorn team as we all know and hate, it'll be a pretty competitive Hawthorn team we all hate

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

He's getting pressure factor and his blood alcohol content mixed up again

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Finally getting a chance to sit down and watch the Suns game. That might be the worst first quarter I've ever seen this team play. Hooray, footys back. :suicide:

Round 6 2011 springs to mind.
Although that was completely understandable given the team had only played 5 games before that.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

It seems different when it's the men because we are bigger, stronger and faster. So the men will be better prepared to look after the kid if something went wrong on the field. Besides feeding, women aren't really suited to looking after kids.

Please tell me the above wasn't part of Gary's argument because it's literally the argument I've seen on some social media.

e: behind paywall, but it seems that there's at least an article on the HUN written by Susie O'Brien calling Garry out on his hypocritical comments given he brought kids onto the ground himself. Wouldn't have expected that from the paper. Expected to hear from Rita Panahi about how Erin Phillips is a leftist feminazi and anyone who says otherwise is wrong because incase you haven't noticed, Rita is a woman too so she is allowed to say it.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 28, 2017

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I mean I agree, less kids at the footy is always a good thing. But I'd be happier starting with reducing the ones in the crowd

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Bounce the baby

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Has Bruce always said umpie so much? It's like someone gave him a dare tonight

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Mayne > Rance

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Who's this Cloke fella?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

I'm seriously considering writing a letter of complaint but I'd know SEN wouldn't take it seriously.

They'd frame it and put on the wall like a trophy

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

:love: Fantasia :love:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The junk time goals flattered the margin, but glad to get the win. Walla and Raz were fantastic. But Brisbane did well, Hipwood will be great for them so I hope they manage to keep him.

But yeah, a more experienced team would have turned our lights out tonight pretty easily in the second half

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Norf Melbourne, Norf Melbourne!
Out we come, out we come, out we come to play!
Just for recreation’s sake, to pass the time away!
Lots of fun, heaps of fun, enjoy yourself today!
Norf Melbourne boys are hard to beat when they come out to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

"Haters gonna hate" - Dick Reynolds

• Locked thread