Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Is there audio of someone, BT maybe, saying EDDIEBETTS to give people an idea of how it is said?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Rough officially announced as 2017 Hawks skipper.

2017 is so great.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Speaking of streaming etc, I know Telstra has unmetered streaming of games on Telstra phones.
Has anyone hooked their phone up to their TV to try it that way?

I have Foxtel and I loving hate it and want to get rid of it but it has the footy and I like being able to just hang out and know it's going to work and look good without too much fuss.
But if I could hook my phone up to my TV and watch unmetered I would sign up to Telstra's cheapest plan and go that route.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Schlesische posted:

Don't follow Richmond. Richmond fans are loving insane. There is more speculation following this garbage fire on wheels than on literally any other club. It's like following the Toronto Maple Leafs.

GET hosed.

Also, OP, Schlesische is 100% correct. Follow Richmond at your own peril.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The Women's jumper designs of both the Crows and Dogs is superior to the mens.
Discuss.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Testekill posted:

Dogs is literally a different shade of blue

A better shade!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I play baseball virtually all year around and watch a lot of it too, it can be slow and boring as hell at times but it's a game with so much underlying strategy going on that once you actually understand the nuance it can be gripping entertainment.
Also, it's better than most games of cricket but 20/20 is pretty entertaining. (I actually think 20/20 should adopt a baseball rule and introduce a DH - 12 a side, remove one of your bowlers during the batting innings - batter can only bat).

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Windmill Hut posted:

UUGGHHHH the footage of Sam Day dislocating his hip looks painful as gently caress. Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

Now confirmed as a car crash-esque BROKEN and DISLOCATED hip.
Probably gone for the year.

I can't recall ever seeing the team doctor give a player a green whistle on the field.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

the age posted:

Richmond star Dustin Martin has urged the Federal Government to allow his deported father to return to Australia because "he hadn't done anything wrong"

In April last year, Shane Martin was deported to New Zealand for his alleged links to outlawed motorcycle gang, the Rebels, a link Dustin Martin confirmed in a television interview on Monday nigfht.

"I am in a footy club, he is in a bikie club," Martin has told Channel Nine's A Current Affair, adding his father was no longer part of the gang.

"I wake up every day hoping to get a phone call from dad, saying 'just hold on, I am coming back'," he said.

"Just because he was in a club doesn't mean he has done anything wrong.

"I am in a footy club, he is in a bikie club, they join, get together and go for rides."

Dustin Martin was born in Victoria but his father remains a citizen of New Zealand. Speaking from there, Shane told ACA not many parents had famous sons.

"Now I sit on the other side of another country, and I can't even enjoy that," he said.

"If I committed a murder, had domestic violence or had anything to do with a threat to Australia, as they say, I could wear it.

"But I have got no charges, nothing. That's pretty hard to swallow."

Dustin Martin, a skilful midfielder who finished third in the AFL's Brownlow Medal count last year, also spoke out about missing out on his dad's support. He has had his own troubles, apologising last year for threatening to stab a restaurant patron with a chopstick after she told a drunken Martin to behave at a Melbourne eatery.

You see the other guys with their parents. I don't have my dad there. It is pretty sad. If he was a criminal, I would cop it.

"You see the other guys with their parents. I don't have my dad there. It is pretty sad. If he was a criminal, I would cop it," Martin said.

"Taking him away for association is no reason for breaking up the family.

"I think it is pretty stupid."

According to A Current Affair Shane Martin had consented to revealing his Australian criminal record, which the show reported dated to 1990, soon after his arrival from NZ.

It includes, the show reported, unlawful assault, burglary, armed with an intent, criminal damage and resisting police. He was ordered to carry out 250 hours of community work.

Over the next six years, Shane Martin was reportedly convicted and fined four times for possessing a restricted substance and once for possessing a drug of dependence.
In 2004, according to ACA, he received a two-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months for aiding and abetting in the trafficking of ecstasy.

His last brush with the law was reportedly in January 2004, when he was convicted and fined for possessing a drug of dependence, and possessing ecstasy and cannabis.

Geez who told Dusty the best way to go about this was on A Current Affair of all loving places.

I feel a bit sorry for Dusty, it would be pretty hard for someone in the spotlight like he is, who clearly doesn't like it, to have one of his parents deported would be rough.
But equating a footy club to a bikie club is a pretty loving long bow to draw.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Bounce it at the start of every quarter to keep a bit of tradition in the game and be done with it.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Not AFL related but interesting regardless.
This is a headline that seriously could only come from the US of A.

https://twitter.com/vocativ/status/836326390244986880

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

High school sport is serious business

The problem is football is sometimes the only way out of poverty for a lot of families so you can see a scenario where parents would force kids back on the ground in the hope of it leading them into money way down the line, despite the fact it would probably do exactly the opposite.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I know he is only 19 and we've only played 2 practice games but I've been so impressed by what I've seen from Daniel Rioli this year.
His tackling has been great (a small forward who can tackle, at Richmond?!), he has great goal sense and he has been bobbing up all over the ground - he appears to have very good cardio endurance.

Really excited to see how he starts the year off.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

You'd think that going 27kph over the limit, losing your license and losing the club a major sponsor would lead to a player suspension from the leadership group right?
right?
guys?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Divorced And Curious posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how loyalty goes in such cases. My brother in law is a lifelong Richmond fan who, after being justifiably disappointed that the Tigers didn't get a women's club, has since gotten fully on board the Lions train, and it looks like that's only going to escalate over the next few years. I wonder whether he'll continue supporting Brisbane once Richmond get their women's team in a few years' time.

See I'm the opposite. I've given the women's game a cursory glance and had games on in the background but, as a Tigers supporter, I have no skin in the game and couldn't care less about who wins. Because I haven't paid close attention to the game I haven't really bothered to learn about any of the players either.

In saying that, of the games I have seen, I question how long it will be until Richmond gets a team because it doesn't look like there is enough talent about.
I'm worried that the women's game might end up skipping an entire generation of fans because they don't have a team to support.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Footy is tribal. My tribe isn't represented.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

3AW posted:

Hawthorn champion Luke Hodge won't play Round 1 after he was handed a one-game ban by the club for missing training.

Hodge failed to "adequately inform" the Hawks of his absence.

"Luke understands that he did not meet the standards of Hawthorn on this occasion," the club said in a statement.

"Unfortunately, there was a breakdown of communication on Luke's behalf that led to a misunderstanding of his training expectations.

"The sanction is reflective of the standards and values of our club of which Luke has played a large role in creating and driving."

Hodge said he was extremely disappointed in his actions and accepted the sanction handed down by the leadership group.

"I have prided myself on holding the playing group to very high standards and I am disappointed that I let them slip on this occasion," Hodge said.

"Our club has established incredibly strong values and I fully support Rough and the leadership group in their decision and ensuring these values are upheld."

I thought he was a good bloke but.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Reminder we're boycotting Coopers now, so find an alternative beer to drink while watching the football

A pale ale from South Australia?

Pirate Life tins, come on doooooowwwwwnnnnnn.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I think Plugger got super into long motorbike rally events (think Dakkar).
It would probably cause a bit of weight loss.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

I have a feeling I did post these numbers a few weeks ago, but anyway.

It's funny to see that the reigning premiers are only a 50/50 chance of making the 8 but then I remember they won from 7th last year.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

harperdc posted:

-------------
Richmond

TRIGGERED.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Titus is pretty good with a 160 character limit, beyond that he is found out.
Podcast is alright though.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Tiges looked pretty good last night. Was happiest to see how many of the boys were able to hit the scoreboard.
An unpredictable forwardline is hard to match up on and obviously plays into our hands.

Dusty looked tremendous but we were only playing Cartlton. He, by rights, could have had 6 goals after giving off 2 cheapies.
Richmond need to throw the kitchen sink at him to get him to stay now. As a mate of mine pointed out, he is very quickly becoming the best tiger of my generation.
I think right now, only Richo has his mark but it's a neck and neck race.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

Collingwood?

Not by the look of it.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Testekill posted:

Today was pretty hosed up footywise; what next, Essendon and Brisbane winning?

Well then.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Tiges in the top 4!!!!
(let me enjoy it!)

Also, why do planes have windows that open?!

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Spedman posted:

There is some wilfully stupid poo poo being said on SEN this morning, Gary Lyon and Mike Sheehan demanding to know what the difference is between Jobe getting stripped of his Brownlow and Cousins not. Hamish had to quietly tell them one was suspended by WADA and the other wasn't.

You know your show is hosed when Hamish is the voice of reason.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Hey Hume - are you able to see if this was the highest scoring round one in a while?
I was looking at the scores this morning and the lowest winning score was 98 points, which is pretty bloody high.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Because I am bored at work I am reading Robbo's The Tackle article.

Robbo posted:

DISLIKES

1. St Kilda

Stunning capitulation from a team many thought had taken the mental and physical strides to play top-notch football. The Saints’ game is based around applying pressure and winning back the ball. In the first quarter, St Kilda’s pressure factor was 2.15, which is off the charts — Sydney went at 2.00 in last year’s Grand Final — and then quarter by quarter it dropped. To 1.83 in the second quarter, which is the competition average, to 1.55 in the third quarter and 1.41 in the final quarter. They swam in concrete early and tread water in a kids pool in the final quarter.

Can someone tell me what the pressure factor is and why 2.15 is off the charts?
Also, when he mentions that it dropped quarter by quarter I can't work out if he is talking about Sydney or St. Kilda?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Gary complained about kids being brought on the ground before the game not after.
Has complained about it previously when blokes have brought their young kids on the ground to run through the banners too.

The comment got legs because SEN posted the pic of Erin holding her kids in the cup after the game and everyone assumed that's what he was referring to.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well they already tried the "wall of steel" around the MCG as a way to discourage terrorists paying customers to come to the games, which is a very BCCI move

This was the MCC, was done in cricket season and removed before the footy started.

Come on dudes, I like this forum because it used to be the smartest footy discussion I could find online.
Stop loving reading the headlines and start being informed before you comment.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Why though? Is he worried they're gonna get stuck in the banner or something?

That is part of it. Also, there is a bunch of blokes (or women) running around who are all amped up, kicking footys. There are ground staff, cheer squad.
Basically it's a situation with a lot of controlled chaos, which is fine for a 90kg dude but not so much for a <1 year old baby.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Robbo wrote a story about the photo of Erin Phillips kissing her wife at the AFLW awards night and why we should embrace marriage equality.
But he started the article like this.....

robbo posted:

IT was the kiss that travelled around Australia.
It encapsulated happiness, love, appreciation, understanding and, let’s be honest, it was probably a touch sensual for a number of men.

:ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh:

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

TG-Chrono posted:

I would just like to take this beautiful, important moment to say this: I'm an incredibly sexually frustrated man who is exceedingly horny

Yeah but what do you think about Robbo's article?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Or Dusty's foot

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

North is the new Richmond?
(please say yes)

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

the age posted:

In the messages the former AFL player said "I'm glad I kept those photos of you for a time like this".
In further messages Cupido made disparaging comments about the woman, including "rank slut", "ice queen" and promised the photos would "go viral you crack whore" unless she paid him the money he claims to have been owed.

some shitbag lawyer posted:

Cupido's lawyer said his client should not receive a conviction as he was a gifted footballer with a career ahead of him, and he had no criminal history.

Knows how to kick a bag of air, your honor.
Is a good bloke, your honor.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

pkid posted:

I know he is only 19 and we've only played 2 practice games but I've been so impressed by what I've seen from Daniel Rioli this year.
His tackling has been great (a small forward who can tackle, at Richmond?!), he has great goal sense and he has been bobbing up all over the ground - he appears to have very good cardio endurance.

Really excited to see how he starts the year off.

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/850587934591930368

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

So is this the Suns being good all of a sudden or are the Hawks truly this shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

Also, I reckon this could get up to 100 points.

• Locked thread