Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

guns for tits posted:

What if ALoD is a weekly article submission? Whoever writes the best article gets the spot for that week. Although, it would be pretty time consuming to assess an article every week

I like this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
do people usually submit links? or is it generally up to the author to keep an eye out?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wrote some funny threads for BYOB that became frontpage articles but the only awful website I know of us htis one. If someone else will find me the awful links I can do it.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I will send anyone all the links I find while throwin' out the ol' "web" net

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Wake me up when there's an Awful TWINK of the Day feature.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

scott zoloft posted:

do people usually submit links? or is it generally up to the author to keep an eye out?

All ALOD are suggested by the goons

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

scott zoloft posted:

Not really, but I haven't checked the account in forever. Plus nobody makes websites anymore, it's all blogs and poo poo.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Lowtax posted:

Not really, but I haven't checked the account in forever. Plus nobody makes websites anymore, it's all blogs and poo poo.

Let's start up weekend web again, not touching of the poop, just laughing at it

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Julius CSAR posted:

I'm all for that!

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

poopnanners posted:

I dont know what ALOTD is but if OP is bored then shame on all of us. Shame.

Here you go, OP. This is for you.

btw is nws

http://shockchan.com/eel-soup/

HEY GUYS ITS NWS

TALE AS OLD AS TIME ♫

Someone had this put on loop and set to classical music. I wish I could find it again because it did not get the love it deserved. Because nothing says love like eels shooting out of your vulva and set to classical music.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life
someone please spoonfeed me on wtf alotd is I want to talk poo poo about it

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

ra tehuti posted:

someone please spoonfeed me on wtf alotd is I want to talk poo poo about it

hi welcome to the Something Awful Forums and Website!

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Julius CSAR posted:

Bring back invasions :420:

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

Julius CSAR posted:

hi welcome to the Something Awful Forums and Website!

gently caress the frontpage

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
penis

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
i have no goddamn idea what im doing

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lowtax posted:

Time for the Awful Blog/poo poo of the Day.

Julius CSAR posted:

:laffo: as if goons could resist the allure of touching that sweet, sweet excrement

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seconding or thirding or whatever that weekend web needs to come on back. Forums are pretty much a dead medium so whatever smaller ones that are still going are bound to be super awkward and hosed-up-funny.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
waffle link of the day.

I'm meating coach 4am at the IHOP if the speed buzz lasts

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lowtax posted:

I'm pretty sure someone could just satire link popular websites with humorous text about their name, logo/image, users, and more for the next half a decade for ALOTD and it'd be like old alotd in terms of really annoying someone out there while also being entertaining.

Awful Reddit of the Day could draw similar ire. If you pick the right community they'll be mad it's "reddit of the day" instead of subreddit of the day. Although that's kind of weekend web territory.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah pretty much. Having to be consistently funny with the actual article would prolly be pretty difficult. Esp if you're taking the daily part of it seriously.

maybe we could recruit 7 people and they could all take turns on ops mom

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
Lowtax if you haven't found anyone / are actually still looking I'd be interested in doing this. I work graveyard at a datacenter and spend a lot of time loving around on the internets.

Just wondering if you've found anybody.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What is an ALOD?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What is an ALOD?

sometimes you think words to yourself in your head. Sometimes you say these words ALOD so others can hear them.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

What is an ALOD?

according to my asian friend he was a very good baseball player

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I submitted an awful link of the day in 2011 and it was posted, it is one of my proudest accomplishments in life. Though sadly the website that it was a link to does not seem to exist anymore.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Lowtax posted:

I'm all for that!

Yeah but how are you going to choose out of all the god awful crap out there? I mean a good 10% of reddit alone would qualify. Back then you had to go out and really scrape the poo poo from the internets heel to get a really good ALOD. These days, most of that poo poo is mainstream, sitting seductively on someones chest while they take selfies about how the moist flakey load sitting on their tits looks suspiciously like Jesus or Trump or Hillary, and with a dozen B grade clickbait aggregators resharing it because those 10 loving page views it got somehow makes it "viral".

I guess what I'm saying is: you set the bar so drat high (or low as the case may be), how can you top it?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have this awful link of this guy spreading his buttcheeks open revealing his gaping anus. Is this the type of content we are looking for?

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
work is for idiots

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

vyst posted:

I have this awful link of this guy spreading his buttcheeks open revealing his gaping anus. Is this the type of content we are looking for?

Welcome to the big time, kid. You're gonna be a star!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

we could just post people on reddit talking about something awful because then there's multiple levels of bad

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/5uoenv/dana_white_says_gsp_is_officially_back_in_the_ufc/ddw1lii/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
ALOTD was always my favorite part of the frontpage & I'm glad it's getting a revival

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd like to see awfulvision come back, there were a lot of hilariously lovely videos on there.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ALoDs were awesome back when the web was an exciting journey through webrings and some dude's crazy geocities site. Here is an article by furries explaining why Portal of Evil and SA stopped bothering with them:

https://www.flayrah.com/3438/early-atrocity-tourism-website-portal-evil-closes

quote:

Portal of Evil (PoE) closed down last week after over a decade of "atrocity tourism".

The site – founded in late 1999 by Cleveland, Ohio-based duo K. Thor Jensen and Chet Faliszek – was a directory of "weird, unusual and evil" websites, each discussed and mocked in turn by PoE forum members. Numerous furry sites were featured, including the website of 2 the Ranting Gryphon (who devoted a rant to PoE), Cub Central, and webcomics such as Sabrina Online.

The site never gained as much notoriety in the furry fandom as rival site Something Awful (SA), but PoE had a contingent of furry posters and as much furry content as SA, if not more. Members of the website were also important in the founding of later "anti-furry" groups, including the Burned Fur movement (whose website was, ironically, also featured on PoE) and the website Crush! Yiff! Destroy! (which closed down last spring).

Former forum members speculate that the proliferation of social networking sites, which effectively replaced webhosting services such as GeoCities, led to the gradual decline and ultimate shut-down of PoE. Such small, personal sites were an early staple of Portal of Evil. With a lack of new content, most of the forum's posters moved to PoE's sister site PoE-News, which features "evil" news.

A search engine created by forum member codehappy retains some information on the site, though it was last updated October 2005.

There is some forum speculation that the site may return; previous reports of the site's demise have been exaggerated.

Rest in peace atrocity tourism

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Weekend Web was loving great. Bring back Weekend Web

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Weekend Web was loving great. Bring back Weekend Web

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
when i read that many words about being a furry the entire material of existence unravels and i realize how nothing is more than false psychological anchors

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

kiwifarms ended up imploding once the 'tax started interacting SA with it, perhaps he's trying to do the same with reddit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

alpaca diseases posted:

kiwifarms ended up imploding once the 'tax started interacting SA with it, perhaps he's trying to do the same with reddit?

Had to check, and the autistic fuckers forum is up and running again. Autism stronger than death itself.

• Locked thread