Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Biaga posted:

Adding to that, you see a lot of soldiers in the Red of the British army sitting around begging. Delany makes a point to usually give them coin (as he does in episode 4 before the party). Those are veterans of the battle of Waterloo who invaded British streets in the years after the battle.

Except Waterloo hasn't happened yet this would be his first exile, The Hundred Days and Waterloo happen in 1815 this is 1814.

eta- So basically they just happen to be in a period of time where they can focus on non Bonaparte related politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Biaga posted:

Adding to that, you see a lot of soldiers in the Red of the British army sitting around begging. Delany makes a point to usually give them coin (as he does in episode 4 before the party). Those are veterans of the battle of Waterloo who invaded British streets in the years after the battle.

I think that is basically the retirement plan for ANY solider wounded in battle and lost some limbs during that time period.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Except Waterloo hasn't happened yet this would be his first exile, The Hundred Days and Waterloo happen in 1815 this is 1814.

eta- So basically they just happen to be in a period of time where they can focus on non Bonaparte related politics.

poo poo, your totally right, I don't know why I thought Taboo took place during 1816.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Biaga posted:

When Coop went to the theater to bribe Lorna Bow the actresses were ranting about Napoleon being a beast.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Zythrst posted:

Napoleon would currently be on Elba at the point this show is taking place.

Oops, yeah, screwed up my dates by a bit, the War of the Sixth Coalition has just ended as soon as the show begins so Napoleon has been sent to Elba.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like this show, a lot. But it's impossible to watch week by week.

Also, they couldn't throw in some good looking nature/city establish shots? Even History Channel's Vikings has some good looking visual.

I really like how everything is so dim, dirty and stinky. I wish their teeth are more crooky. The city streets are also missing horse manure. That's why I don't like the actress character. She is way too clean and neat. She belongs to a lovely Showtime fairy tale show.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Napoleonic Wars are one of my favorite parts of Western History. I also like the show's commitment to showing the absolute vileness of Imperial British culture.

whatever7 posted:

I like this show, a lot. But it's impossible to watch week by week.

How so? The plot, aside from containing a few slowly unraveling plots, is pretty straightforward.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm still really enjoying this but at this point I'm going to go ahead and assume that the Delany Nootka Trading Company's main export is going to be skulking. Which I'm cool with.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bane's super hero power is basically remotely raping his sister. Step sister

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'm a really big fan of when pompous assholes get their comeuppances in TV/Film so I'm looking forward to the duel.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I don't know if I'm really invested in this show but I do love me some Tom Hardy as well as supernatural stuff.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm a really big fan of when pompous assholes get their comeuppances in TV/Film so I'm looking forward to the duel.

Dazerbeams posted:

I don't know if I'm really invested in this show but I do love me some Tom Hardy as well as supernatural stuff.

JKD could choose dust magic as his dueling weapon.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

BexGu posted:

I think that is basically the retirement plan for ANY solider wounded in battle and lost some limbs during that time period.

If I'm not mistaken, French soldiers tended to be (relatively) taken care of.Jobs in certain public places and some lump sum payments taken from the loot.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dmitri-9 posted:

When Coop went to the theater to bribe Lorna Bow the actresses were ranting about Napoleon being a beast.

The chemist dude (who has played the head of the EIC, and King George III in other things) also said something to the effect of "We're in a war. Two wars... or, wait, we won one of them?"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watching the latest episode now and man the voodoo gently caress scene with his sister was unbearably ridiculous. I like this show and all but I still don't get why it's talked about like it's high art that the peons couldn't get when it spends most of its time being some of the campiest TV I've seen in years.

e: hahahah @ piss collection

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 4, 2017

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Oona Chaplin is the sexiest Habsburg

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I think episode 5 might be my favourite now...That whole duel scene was awesome.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I loving love this show. For whatever reason Tom Hardy stomping down the street in a billowing greatcoat and top hat is apparently engaging as poo poo to my brain because here we are.

Also: I missed all the ghosts and had a holy poo poo moment while reading this thread just now. Can anyone screencap ghost sightings for those of us who are old and blind?

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 6, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok, now I'm getting a little worried, I feel like there is a ton of stuff to clean up in the next 3 episodes...

Also my two projections for places the show could go:

1 I'm a big proponent of Chekov's Gun and so I think that *CHEMISTRY PLOT* The foreshadowing of the experimental french gunpowder experiment makes me thing the quiet little boy with VERY little characterization will get blown up or seriously wounded making gunpowder, like the son from There Will be Blood (which this show reminds me of more and more with each episode) and then everyone who kind of likes James will see how little he cares for the poor dead bastard. Or he's alive and crippled, and James now feels like he must take care of him, but that seems way out of characterw, he'd probably just send him to a swiss boarding school for like 100 pounds a year or something.

2 This one seems WAY TOO BROADCAST for me to not happen but *SISTER PLOT* James and Silva actually gently caress and she gets pregnant with his kid

If I had one complaint about the show, it's a thin one, and it's WInter. I guess I don't have a great sense of Victorian London's Geography, but I feel like based on how she is up James' rear end 24/7, the brothel//offices are very close to the docks & riverbank that his house is on? She just keeps popping into scenes, or like sleeping in his flooded basement (?) and I'm always like "Why are you here? What are you adding to this scene or story?". Like I can understand maybe James let's her come and go because she, like him, is mixed race, and will always be an 'N' word to everyone else like he is, but she really seems to just materialize for contrived plot reasons that amount to nothing...

Personally, still totally a huge fan, but all the EIC plotlines just whiff for me the second Silva and her husband are onscreen. The Interpersonal drama between James and the two of them is far richer for me and the chemistry between the 3 of them is insane. Meanwhile, I feel like now the Crown and the EIC are basically just taking shots at each other now, which is I guess James' plan all along, but it still feels like that part of the story is kind of happening without him now. Like, he has this grand scheme for how he wants everything to go, and everything seems to be working more or less in his favor, so at this point the show is an exercise in "Which precarious thread will be the first to snap". Also, I get kind of bogged down by how all the EIC scenes are just:
"We're SO EVIL!"
"Sir, there is someone who is working against us!"
"Burn the evidence!"

I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I will split-agree with escobarbarian, in that while I think the Silva and Norma plotlines are smart and intelligently written, the byzantine conspiracy with the EIC and the Crown isn't as intelligently laid out to me, which is frustrating because it's the WAY, WAY, WAY more complicated of the plotlines.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
With regards to winter, I feel like the first episode hints at her fate.
When we first meet Helga, and indirectly Winter, we are lead to believe that Helga knows about James's darker side (something about how if she sends him a girl she will never see him again, which he confirms). I expect that Helga might be more stupid than we are lead to believe, and is using winter to help her selfish motives with James. I do assume either James's son might play a role in the salvation of the father from some sort of crisis (redemption of the father by the son - the very redemption that James failed to provide for his father when he was still alive but is obviously seeking to compensate for now), but I fully expect James to eat Winter at some point when he refuses to take her to america. I assume it will either involve her providing information to the Americans in exchange for inevitable passage, either way, I expect winter will end up being consumed by James's demons, both metaphorically and literally.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

If I had one complaint about the show, it's a thin one, and it's WInter. I guess I don't have a great sense of Victorian London's Geography, but I feel like based on how she is up James' rear end 24/7, the brothel//offices are very close to the docks & riverbank that his house is on? She just keeps popping into scenes, or like sleeping in his flooded basement (?) and I'm always like "Why are you here? What are you adding to this scene or story?". Like I can understand maybe James let's her come and go because she, like him, is mixed race, and will always be an 'N' word to everyone else like he is, but she really seems to just materialize for contrived plot reasons that amount to nothing...

From what i know of London back then, Blackwall is where East India's docks were, right across from the O2 center. it's all paved over now. The roads are all still there, and some are named after spices
Pretty sure there is a tube station called East India

West india docks were Millwall/ Isle of Dogs.

Port of London was down near Tower bridge and so was the East India House.

Delaney could have been anywhere in between, back in the day there were ships lined up for 20 miles down that river.

It's not a big area when you think about it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Cool Stuff

This owns and does help the picture in my head, cheers

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even more cool stuff.

East India was basically a rogue government outside of the UK, controlled India for drat near a hundred years. I think they had 70,000 soldiers at one stage. Crazy poo poo

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Biaga posted:

With regards to winter, I feel like the first episode hints at her fate.
When we first meet Helga, and indirectly Winter, we are lead to believe that Helga knows about James's darker side (something about how if she sends him a girl she will never see him again, which he confirms). I expect that Helga might be more stupid than we are lead to believe, and is using winter to help her selfish motives with James. I do assume either James's son might play a role in the salvation of the father from some sort of crisis (redemption of the father by the son - the very redemption that James failed to provide for his father when he was still alive but is obviously seeking to compensate for now), but I fully expect James to eat Winter at some point when he refuses to take her to america. I assume it will either involve her providing information to the Americans in exchange for inevitable passage, either way, I expect winter will end up being consumed by James's demons, both metaphorically and literally.

Tom Hardy doesn't strike me the kind of artist who care about redemption arc.

Secondly, letting the supernatural element running over the historic element would ruin the show for me.

Do we know who is the mother of James' son?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 7, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found this, it's 75 years later, but the river is very detailed, helps explain what it was like. East India Dock would be like m/n 19

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Pretty sure its implied in the first episode that its the half sister.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I thought that was his half brother not his son

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought that was his half brother not his son

I assumed that was his son, possibly with his half sister. I could have missed an explanation that explained it as his half brother, but why is he sent away to live anonymously then?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Wife and I are big fans. Last week she gingerly suggested we stop watching until the season is over and then binge watch all of it.

Ultimately, she couldn't bear to part with James' grunting for several weeks.

So instead she wants me to be James Delaney for Halloween. And I'm tempted...

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Do we know who is the mother of James' son?

I assume he is the love child of James and Zilpha.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Wife and I are big fans. Last week she gingerly suggested we stop watching until the season is over and then binge watch all of it.

Ultimately, she couldn't bear to part with James' grunting for several weeks.

So instead she wants me to be James Delaney for Halloween. And I'm tempted...

by Halloween do you mean Rolplay?

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Glare, grunt, thrust, repeat.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

But all men devolve into bestial Tom Hardy in the bedroom.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Biaga posted:

by Halloween do you mean Rolplay?

Dazerbeams posted:

But all men devolve into bestial Tom Hardy in the bedroom.

As established on page one, Tom Hardy, and therefore James Delaney, does not gently caress.

So... Maybe?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Would they have used the term "black" back then? I'm pretty sure the Sons of Africa guy would have said negro or colored.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Would they have used the term "black" back then? I'm pretty sure the Sons of Africa guy would have said negro or colored.

There are references to Africans being referred to as "black" in Canadian immigration records (specifically as "Black Refugees") from around the same time, so it's not unlikely. But, I don't have much familiarity with historical linguistic practices in England. With that said, part of me would also agree with you.

Side note, just read Filth. I now get your user name!

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
CALLED IT!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have been following What the flick!'s episode reviews. I kind of agree with Ben's comment in the E5 review, "is this a good show?" There are many reasons to argue it's an uneven show. The protagonist is too resourceful, his magic is too powerful. That doesn't make good drama.

I personally have never liked that actress character. They cast an actress who is too young and too modern for the character she portrait. And a few episodes in, she turns from a character into a narration device.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

whatever7 posted:

I have been following What the flick!'s episode reviews. I kind of agree with Ben's comment in the E5 review, "is this a good show?" There are many reasons to argue it's an uneven show. The protagonist is too resourceful, his magic is too powerful. That doesn't make good drama.

I personally have never liked that actress character. They cast an actress who is too young and too modern for the character she portrait. And a few episodes in, she turns from a character into a narration device.

He's been resourceful thus far. He arrived with a plan and knowledge of how to execute it but I tend to get the feeling rather than getting the attention a minor annoyance would deserve hes about to feel the full force of his enemies and is going to come unstuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've not observed the review in question, so take this with a grain of salt, but given that the show is very much part of the horror genre, unequal power dynamics go with the territory. It just so happens that the show's biggest monster is also the show's lead.

• Locked thread