Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Chop Sunni posted:

Awesome.

... so if the Doctor had been working for both sides for some or all of the show, and charges against Delaney were sufficient to secure the land, what was the torture for? They should have had access to Carlsbad, the location of the gunpowder and more. What am I missing?

Spoilers for the identity of the spy.

The spy worked for the EIC, not the Crown. He did not know the location of the gunpowder (only that Delaney had more of it, which he was procuring on behalf of the USA). He had Carlsbad's real identity but there was no reason for him to give this up to to the EIC as it was only of interest to the Crown.

I liked this series. I agree that they sort of abandoned their initial premise, and some of the plots went nowhere (I still don't understand what Delaney's half-sister was about...feels like the show couldn't find anything for her to do and then abruptly got sick of her and threw her in the river) but Hardy is magnetic, the dialog would occasionally just arc right off the screen, and the period detail and gothic atmosphere were enjoyable as hell. Also Tommy from Snatch turning into a convincing tough guy!

I theorize that this show's fandom and Penny Dreadful's fandom are almost 100% overlap, since they hit a lot of the same notes.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chop Sunni posted:

his mate Scroobius Pip

Move over Benedict Cumberbatch, we've found The Ultimate British Name

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

KilGrey posted:

I loved this show. I don't as tied to every episode. I can't wait for the next season. I'm sad the chemist died though. I really liked his character.

I don't think he's dead. Last shot is him whispering to the (former) prostitute and just of ambiguously staring. I am 90% sure they left the fate of the actress and the chemist in limbo so they could either write them out or bring them back as needed.

He was a cool dude. My wife pointed out they could have easily just done an episode that followed him around. He was clearly one of the greatest minds of the age but he used it to chase tail and get high. A modern man if there ever was one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Uh...it could be mostly soot and a little singed epidermis. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway I've had a couple weeks to sit on it and this was pretty good. I definitely think it petered out a bit and sort of traded in the gothic mysticism for a more conventional heist/revenge tale but I'm looking forward to season 2.

• Locked thread