Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Came here to talk about Ghosts.

Took me 2 viewings to see the one in episode 1, but the one in the second episode was pretty obvious. Curious to see if anyone has spot something else interesting throughout the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Wasn't a big fan of episode 1. Felt too slow and hammy, despite some great performances. Hope it improves - anyone seen episode 2 and can give their impressions?

Episode 1 was an effort to build the mystery, Episode 2 is establishing the conflict of the overall series and introduces all the characters (Americans, Brits, Slum characters, Monarchists). Its a little slow but it expands on the mysticism of Delaney, we get some hints about his spirituality and more of his connection with Africa - ie why he was in Africa. They build on his relationship with his sister/lover and even outline the mystery of the death of his father, but it sets the theater of the show rather than any of the excitement. If you watch any of Steven Knights other shows, Peaky Blinders, it feels very similar so I would suggest holding out for episode 3 to get hit with a hook or greater draw outside 5 minute cliff hangars at the end of the episode.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

lifts cats over head posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something because I'm sure what you're referencing. The only ghost-like thing I spotted was the large black man during his apparent hallucination.

No, you are totally missing in.... drat, I can't be the only one. rewatch the last scene when Delaney meets with the East India Company, specifically after the guy launches the letter at him.

Biaga fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 17, 2017

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

shut up netface posted:

Im somewhat interested in the show thus far however I have a feeling these images Hardy had on the ship from episode 2 are going to be connected to something on the Zong level of hosed up

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zong_massacre
For u non history majors

I think its pretty clear that he was involved in such incidents, given the timline of the character (we know that Delaney had been in africa for 12 years before 1814). The events of zong were well known by the British by 1807, but we can safely assume that the implications of Delaneys chat in the first episode suggest they might be dipping into bad habits which we will likely uncover as the show progresses.

Also, we also know that the greater plot involving the EITC pans out in favour of the British, because, well, Vancover is in Canada.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Zergden posted:

There was another one on the ship that Delaney purchased and removed the chains from.

Ya the second episode one is very obvious.

Part of me wants to rewatch them in hopes of finding some other appearance, but I think that is a fools dream. I will settle with a different ghost every episode.

As for who the ghosts are, it's pretty clear that the one in episode one is the strange shaman we see in the pool of water in one of his flashbacks. As for episode 2, I can't help but think it might be his father.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I liked Ep 1-2, but Winter feels a bit too much like a Deus Ex Machina. The man-servant owns bones and I'm just chomping at the bit until we see more of him going native. All I want from this show is Tom Hardy stalking about and more of this juicy plot.

It does speak to the great irony of Victorian upper class issues, namely if you live in a world where everyone woman you new is a snaggle-toothed mudscamp except for own half-sister, and she's the only person your own age you're allowed to talk to without their parents breathing down your neck, it's no wonder this sort of thing was wicked, wicked common

Something tells me she is not his sister. I expect a young marriage (like a tribal marriage to unite or solidify the contract we have yet to see) and that by marrying the chief's daughter to Delaney's son they formed a formal commitment to the land purchase. In an effort to hid such a situation from the greater British public, they pass off the girl as a daughter rather than a daughter in law.

Unless they do follow the incest story-line and this show has a whole other level of hosed up which I would also respect.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Vorenus posted:

Another ghost I don't think anyone mentioned yet: Episode 3 (I think) when he goes to visit his mother's grave, look at the carriage that goes past right at the beginning of the scene.

I have no complaints so far. I understand the criticism somewhat, but I'm fairly well enjoying it.

Good Eye!

I was in Cuba for the last 8 days so I watched both episodes (3 and 4) last night after I got home. Saw no ghosts but am loving the show more and more.

The American Spies are great, but I am also liking this hidden spy vs spy plot. How they all believe they know everything and how James is playing them against each other.

Also, the fact that the silly good guy from Pirates of the Carribean plays the bad guy in this show, and the bad guy in Pirates of the Carribean plays the silly good guy in this show is an added bonus.

I assume the duel challenge will not be accepted or will be interrupted (I am guessing the laughing gas might be an excuse to withdraw the challenge).

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Chop Sunni posted:

How the hell do you walk off a bump on the head like that, let alone have the grace to artfully disembowel your attacker

Be a crazy murdering cannibal, hell bent on revenge and fueled by alcohol-hatred-and voodoo.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Kin posted:

So, anyone spot a ghost in episode 4? I didn't spot poo poo. Though i missed them in the first 3 episodes too so i guess they're too subtle for me.

You and me both, I am planning on rewatching them again within the next day or so, and someone earlier mentioned that there might be a ghost in the early part of episode 3 when he is in the graveyard but I didn't catch anything on my first viewing. Part of me is also concerned by the safety of assuming there is a ghost in each episode, watch them not put one in one episode and not tell people solely to annoy people.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Vorenus posted:

Another ghost I don't think anyone mentioned yet: Episode 3 (I think) when he goes to visit his mother's grave, look at the carriage that goes past right at the beginning of the scene.

I have no complaints so far. I understand the criticism somewhat, but I'm fairly well enjoying it.

checked it out again, don't think the crazy person in the back of the carriage counts.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Napoleon would currently be on Elba at the point this show is taking place.

Adding to that, you see a lot of soldiers in the Red of the British army sitting around begging. Delany makes a point to usually give them coin (as he does in episode 4 before the party). Those are veterans of the battle of Waterloo who invaded British streets in the years after the battle.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Except Waterloo hasn't happened yet this would be his first exile, The Hundred Days and Waterloo happen in 1815 this is 1814.

eta- So basically they just happen to be in a period of time where they can focus on non Bonaparte related politics.

poo poo, your totally right, I don't know why I thought Taboo took place during 1816.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I think episode 5 might be my favourite now...That whole duel scene was awesome.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
With regards to winter, I feel like the first episode hints at her fate.
When we first meet Helga, and indirectly Winter, we are lead to believe that Helga knows about James's darker side (something about how if she sends him a girl she will never see him again, which he confirms). I expect that Helga might be more stupid than we are lead to believe, and is using winter to help her selfish motives with James. I do assume either James's son might play a role in the salvation of the father from some sort of crisis (redemption of the father by the son - the very redemption that James failed to provide for his father when he was still alive but is obviously seeking to compensate for now), but I fully expect James to eat Winter at some point when he refuses to take her to america. I assume it will either involve her providing information to the Americans in exchange for inevitable passage, either way, I expect winter will end up being consumed by James's demons, both metaphorically and literally.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Do we know who is the mother of James' son?

I assume he is the love child of James and Zilpha.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Wife and I are big fans. Last week she gingerly suggested we stop watching until the season is over and then binge watch all of it.

Ultimately, she couldn't bear to part with James' grunting for several weeks.

So instead she wants me to be James Delaney for Halloween. And I'm tempted...

by Halloween do you mean Rolplay?

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Would they have used the term "black" back then? I'm pretty sure the Sons of Africa guy would have said negro or colored.

There are references to Africans being referred to as "black" in Canadian immigration records (specifically as "Black Refugees") from around the same time, so it's not unlikely. But, I don't have much familiarity with historical linguistic practices in England. With that said, part of me would also agree with you.

Side note, just read Filth. I now get your user name!

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
CALLED IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I really went into this series assuming it would be a small, simple, and contained event that you could lose yourself in for a while. Given the suggestion that there will be some greater plot outside of England makes me like it that much less. We know the outcome of Notka, we know that he doesn't succeed with his struggle to control tea trade, so why drag it out?

Honestly, without the EIC I can't see this story going anywhere.

Also, the death (or suggested death) of Zilpha was a huge "wtf" moment for me.

• Locked thread