Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huh, holy poo poo. I'll have to rewatch that scene tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I loving love it, and I admit I'm a little confused that other people don't? Is it the plot... or what? Could someone explain?

It's because it's not a puzzle box show that fellates their extremely limited cultural knowledge comprised entirely of children's media.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, its concept vs execution, right? While I agree that laying out everything in the show makes it SOUND really engaging, I don't feel the storylines are progressing in any kind of interesting way yet. Scenes are mostly 1. the company scheming and bitching about Delaney in an office 2. Delaney scheming and bitching about the company somewhere near a river and 3. bizarre voodoo stuff that is intriguing but doesn't yet have enough context to make for truly effective scenes. Compare it to Peaky Blinders by the same writer. Just as smart but far more interesting and exciting with characters you care about immediately.

It's also a little confusing to me that I'm seeing so many here and on places like AV Club acting like this show is insanely smart and deep compared to everything else on television. I'm not saying it's stupid, but it really doesn't seem to have much more to say than most dramas of its kind, and the thematic depth doesn't seem to be.....well, that deep, I suppose. Mostly it seems to be getting by on mood, acting and visuals rather than specifically extremely intelligent storytelling. What exactly do you think makes it "a show for people who read?" compared to others? Westworld being the example you gave especially, like arguably that has more to say about consciousness and whatnot than this has to say about.....that the East India Company were bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^ what's great about this troll attempt is it involves the troll being dim enough to assume my avatar is totally genuine and based on love and fandom

I'm just responding to what people have been saying. I've seen the "taboo is WAY more intelligent than STUPID WESTWORLD" quote way too much already.

hahahahaha

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there anyone keeping track of the ghosts online? I didn't see one in 3, but also didn't catch the others until they were pointed out to me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Napoleonic Wars are one of my favorite parts of Western History. I also like the show's commitment to showing the absolute vileness of Imperial British culture.

whatever7 posted:

I like this show, a lot. But it's impossible to watch week by week.

How so? The plot, aside from containing a few slowly unraveling plots, is pretty straightforward.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've not observed the review in question, so take this with a grain of salt, but given that the show is very much part of the horror genre, unequal power dynamics go with the territory. It just so happens that the show's biggest monster is also the show's lead.

The show's lead is western anglo society?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I do quite like how all the "nah man this show is really smart and so much happens in each episode!!!!!" people have gradually died down (both on here and in AV Club comments) the longer this show goes on.

It's not that I like the show any less, it's just that I don't want to post with people who get their favorite scenes made into meme avatars that they can pay 10 dollars to put beneath their name on an Internet forum. You know - idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

what this trick think a meme is

Lmao!

• Locked thread