Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I just love that this show takes place in a time period most people (Americans) forgot since most history classes go from 1776 straight to the Civil war with a little bit of talk of the War of 1812. The US is still kind of a fledging country and the East India Trading Company is basically a nation with a standing army in all but name.

Depending on what month its is the White House is going to burn down soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bust Rodd posted:

EDIT: Actually, I also really liked the scene with the King's Administrator and the EIC chairman, because it took two characters who have been sort of established to the viewers through their relationships to their peers, as a servant and a feirsome chairman of the EIC, but in this scene their dynamics shift, and this steward is not this super confident badass because he knows he basically runs England, and the EiC guy is coming off a little desperate despite arguably being the most powerful man in the world, at that time.

We need a history major in this thread to help flush out some of the unspoken backstory. Why was the Prince Regent mad at the East India Trading Company about India? What happened? That the crown was not in control/getting their cut?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Party Plane Jones posted:

By 1814 the EIC had conquered all of India (except for the parts that would later be Pakistan) as well as part of Nepal. The 1813 charter in reality had the crown assert sovereignty over India as well as removing all the monopolies for the EIC except in tea and with China.

My guess is in Taboo's timeline that charter didn't take place since they're still dealing with Nootka sound.

Hmmm, maybe not through. If EIC only has a monopoly on Tea and China that would make Delaney demands for his own monopoly even more of a blow to the EIC.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Biaga posted:

Adding to that, you see a lot of soldiers in the Red of the British army sitting around begging. Delany makes a point to usually give them coin (as he does in episode 4 before the party). Those are veterans of the battle of Waterloo who invaded British streets in the years after the battle.

I think that is basically the retirement plan for ANY solider wounded in battle and lost some limbs during that time period.

• Locked thread