Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't a big fan of episode 1. Felt too slow and hammy, despite some great performances. Hope it improves - anyone seen episode 2 and can give their impressions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not seen ep 3 yet but what's even going on in this show? It seems like one of the biggest vanity projects of recent years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the third episode was an improvement but I'm still finding it too slow and self-serious overall, with no reason to really care about what happens next. drat pretty though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show brings all the elitist fuckwads to the yard, huh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, its concept vs execution, right? While I agree that laying out everything in the show makes it SOUND really engaging, I don't feel the storylines are progressing in any kind of interesting way yet. Scenes are mostly 1. the company scheming and bitching about Delaney in an office 2. Delaney scheming and bitching about the company somewhere near a river and 3. bizarre voodoo stuff that is intriguing but doesn't yet have enough context to make for truly effective scenes. Compare it to Peaky Blinders by the same writer. Just as smart but far more interesting and exciting with characters you care about immediately.

It's also a little confusing to me that I'm seeing so many here and on places like AV Club acting like this show is insanely smart and deep compared to everything else on television. I'm not saying it's stupid, but it really doesn't seem to have much more to say than most dramas of its kind, and the thematic depth doesn't seem to be.....well, that deep, I suppose. Mostly it seems to be getting by on mood, acting and visuals rather than specifically extremely intelligent storytelling. What exactly do you think makes it "a show for people who read?" compared to others? Westworld being the example you gave especially, like arguably that has more to say about consciousness and whatnot than this has to say about.....that the East India Company were bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ what's great about this troll attempt is it involves the troll being dim enough to assume my avatar is totally genuine and based on love and fandom

Rocksicles posted:

You're comparing apple and oranges, wardrobe notwithstanding.

I'm just responding to what people have been saying. I've seen the "taboo is WAY more intelligent than STUPID WESTWORLD" quote way too much already.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Saying complaints about this show are from people who want 'robot orgies' and 'machine guns' and then listing the positives of the show as 'ghosts' and 'cannibals' is completely ridiculous too.

hahahahaha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watching the latest episode now and man the voodoo gently caress scene with his sister was unbearably ridiculous. I like this show and all but I still don't get why it's talked about like it's high art that the peons couldn't get when it spends most of its time being some of the campiest TV I've seen in years.

e: hahahah @ piss collection

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 4, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode 6 was possibly my favourite so far! Pretty pumped to see where all-out war leads.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty crap episode with a great ending line imo. They even made torture boring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do quite like how all the "nah man this show is really smart and so much happens in each episode!!!!!" people have gradually died down (both on here and in AV Club comments) the longer this show goes on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

It's not that I like the show any less, it's just that I don't want to post with people who get their favorite scenes made into meme avatars that they can pay 10 dollars to put beneath their name on an Internet forum. You know - idiots.

what this trick think a meme is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ this was great

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, what a loving waste of time this show was. And they're making MORE? Count me out.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

money worship posted:

edit: Tom Hardy says much more in a single grunt than I've seen whole ensembles of other shows put together in multiplse seasons

This is a hilarious paragraph

anyway yeah Legion runs circles around this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good cast/pretty scenery and I had faith it would pick up and then when it blatantly wasn't going to pick up I was already halfway through so it was like gently caress it.

• Locked thread