Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Snowden has said numerous times that he would face the US courts if they were willing to consider the potential that information he released was in the public interest. The Espionage Act specifically forbids this, so if he comes back it's only going to be for the sake of having the book thrown at him. Whether that constitutes a fair trial is up to you, I suppose it depends on how much you inherently respect the US legal system.

I wish they would agree to consider that and just try him for his revelations about foreign surveillance which clearly didn't serve any US public interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo I didn't believe it would happen! Super happy for her, really glad that happened :)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Snowden has said numerous times that he would face the US courts if they were willing to consider the potential that information he released was in the public interest. The Espionage Act specifically forbids this, so if he comes back it's only going to be for the sake of having the book thrown at him. Whether that constitutes a fair trial is up to you, I suppose it depends on how much you inherently respect the US legal system.

That's disagreeing with the law, not if his trial is fair or not.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

I wish they would agree to consider that and just try him for his revelations about foreign surveillance which clearly didn't serve any US public interest.

He thinks the public interest leaks absolve the rest, and he won't come back until the justice system agrees.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
God dammit Obama!

Chelsea Manning should have gotten the death penalty.

Edward Snowden deserves the same, he deserves worse really. But I have my doubts Orange Judas is going to punish his fellow friend of Ivan.

I guess if there is any tiny silver lining its that it will piss off trans-haters, but justice is a lot more important than pissing off lovely people and this is a miscarriage of justice.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

hakimashou posted:

God dammit Obama!

Chelsea Manning should have gotten the death penalty.

Edward Snowden deserves the same, he deserves worse really. But I have my doubts Orange Judas is going to punish his fellow friend of Ivan.

I guess if there is any tiny silver lining its that it will piss off trans-haters, but justice is a lot more important than pissing off lovely people and this is a miscarriage of justice.

Great bait, m8.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spending seven years in prison under conditions that most of the world considers torture, attempting suicide twice, then being released on a whim by an outgoing president doesn't really redeem the US justice system. Snowden was right to flee.

Snowden is a russian spy and a defector who deserves the supreme sanction, every breath he takes is a miscarriage of justice.

Manning got off easy and is lucky to be alive at all.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

hakimashou posted:

Snowden is a russian spy and a defector who deserves the supreme sanction, every breath he takes is a miscarriage of justice.

Manning got off easy and is lucky to be alive at all.

hmmm quite

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In case you weren't aware, solitary confinement is staying in a room with no contact to the outside world for 23 hours. That will mess with your mind, and considering Chelsea Manning was suffering from several mental health issues (likely stemming from the lack of treatment for her gender dysphoria), I can't imagine it went well for her.

Manning still spent 7 years, and for leaking information, I feel that's pretty justified for a 1st time offender. She also expressed guilt for her actions, things neither Snowden or Assange have shown.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
This poo poo is so good it should be framed and put on a wall:
https://twitter.com/mariabustillos/status/821484263421816832

Edit: even though the pronoun is wrong.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Well, better late then never, but still kind of cowardly for Obama to wait until the end of his term when the political fallout isn't his problem anymore. What kept him from commuting Chelsea's sentence a year ago?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not a Step posted:

Well, better late then never, but still kind of cowardly for Obama to wait until the end of his term when the political fallout isn't his problem anymore. What kept him from commuting Chelsea's sentence a year ago?

Not wanting to make Hillary say he was wrong, presumably.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

alpha_destroy posted:

Edit: even though the pronoun is wrong.

I liked this one:

https://twitter.com/manymanywords/status/821484077689831424

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

They kept her in solitary for 11 months, not 7 years. The way she was treated was hosed up but I don't think all prison time is torture.

Depends on the prison. I'd say most American prisons, especially in the south, are probably torture.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Not a Step posted:

I think you answered your own question there.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

seiferguy posted:

In case you weren't aware, solitary confinement is staying in a room with no contact to the outside world for 23 hours.

So what you're saying is the average hardcore gamer is inflicting self-torture basically every weekend.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man I was really enjoying the last few days of Obama's Presidency too.

Pretty loving disgusting.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not a Step posted:

If there was too much of a gap between when the commutation was issued and when it actually went into effect, he'd just cause Manning supporters to make a bigger deal about her treatment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's possible that Trump could insist that Sessions pursue her over other charges or that they could just add time to her sentence for infractions.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks Obama for doing a good thing for once.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

Man I was really enjoying the last few days of Obama's Presidency too.

Pretty loving disgusting.

Agreed, neoliberals need to be purged from all parts of the government. They all are a bunch of worthless warhawks and losers.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Did anything ever come of people saying the leaks she posted had information pertaining to tribal leaders/allies that helped us, which would cause them to be retaliated against? I remember that being a huge issue during her initial trial, that her leaks also hurt our allies.

I think whistleblowers should be protected obviously, but that stuff doesn't need to come out. I realize she was getting worked over by Assange taking advantage of her mental state, but if she did leak information that led to innocent people being hurt, she did deserve some sentence. There's a difference between leaking our human rights abuses and leaking out stuff that could get people or their families hurt.

Even with that though, 7 years has been long enough. Especially considering she was put in a male prison which is ridiculous.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Stuff like this deserved to come out: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/special-reports/article24696685.html

Anyone know if it lead to prosecutions?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

paperwind posted:

I think you answered your own question there.

Yeah, but I was hoping there was a better answer than 'chronic lack of spine'.

Main Paineframe posted:

If there was too much of a gap between when the commutation was issued and when it actually went into effect, he'd just cause Manning supporters to make a bigger deal about her treatment.

Why does there need to be any gap at all? Is there a Constitutional rule that prevents Obama from ordering her immediate release on time served?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Her leaks literally caused a financial crisis in Iceland. There's a pretty big loving difference between releasing evidence of illegal behaviour and dumping hundreds of thousands of diplomatic cables that caused a shitton of problems with our allies.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

tekz posted:

Stuff like this deserved to come out: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/special-reports/article24696685.html

Anyone know if it lead to prosecutions?

Why would it? There's no credible evidence or witnesses.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The Iron Rose posted:

Her leaks literally caused a financial crisis in Iceland. There's a pretty big loving difference between releasing evidence of illegal behaviour and dumping hundreds of thousands of diplomatic cables that caused a shitton of problems with our allies.

How was Manning in a position to do corporate espionage when she was in military intelligence?

Also, it's not like banks around the world were in crisis in late 2008 or anything.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not a Step posted:

Yeah, but I was hoping there was a better answer than 'chronic lack of spine'.

Why does there need to be any gap at all? Is there a Constitutional rule that prevents Obama from ordering her immediate release on time served?

Because Obama wanted her to serve a certain amount of time behind bars before going free.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

So you value a facade of stability over actual justice. Nice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am gonna need actual documented evidence that her leaking these documents led to economic collapse in Ireland and the economic collapse was not instead caused by the recession that was in place around the world at the time of it happening.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

So you value a facade of stability over actual justice. Nice.

Yes? That's never been in question.

Hollismason posted:

I am gonna need actual documented evidence that her leaking these documents led to economic collapse in Ireland and the economic collapse was not instead caused by the recession that was in place around the world at the time of it happening.

Caused was an overstatement, but do you like, not remember the hubub around the REYKJAVIK13 cable?

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 18, 2017

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Because Obama wanted her to serve a certain amount of time behind bars before going free.

Conveniently, that amount of time lined up perfectly with him leaving office and dumping the fallout on the next person in line.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Just checking if you are actually that mindless, thanks.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Tbh if you're an ally of the US you deserved it just as much

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rookersh posted:

Did anything ever come of people saying the leaks she posted had information pertaining to tribal leaders/allies that helped us, which would cause them to be retaliated against? I remember that being a huge issue during her initial trial, that her leaks also hurt our allies.

I think whistleblowers should be protected obviously, but that stuff doesn't need to come out. I realize she was getting worked over by Assange taking advantage of her mental state, but if she did leak information that led to innocent people being hurt, she did deserve some sentence. There's a difference between leaking our human rights abuses and leaking out stuff that could get people or their families hurt.

Even with that though, 7 years has been long enough. Especially considering she was put in a male prison which is ridiculous.

I mentioned this in the Trumpocalypse thread, but one of the more compelling mitigating circumstances to me is that prior to Chelsea's data dump, Wikileaks had done at least a reasonable facsimile of due diligence in redacting potentially dangerously sensitive information that had been passed to them. There was no particularly major reason to assume they'd be less responsible this time around.

I seem to recall some folks expressing the somewhat reasonable view that "well, it's just not logistically feasible for Wikileaks to review this much data prior to release", but it does somewhat reduce Manning's culpability in my view even aside from the whole conditions-of-detention and fragile-mental-state thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like Assange might actually do it, the madman

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821505178549493760

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Looks like Assange might actually do it, the madman

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/821505178549493760

So does Trump pardon him if he's convicted of whatever crime, or does he think that Trump can guarantee a show trial like Putin in Russia?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It doesn't matter. As soon as Assange steps outside of the embassy, he'll be arrested by the Metropolitan Police and put on the next flight to Stockholm.

I would not be surprised if they're doubling the patrol now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I very seriously doubt Assange is turning himself over to anyone, but if he did, he might take comfort in thinking Trump could commute his sentence since there's precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Iron Rose posted:

You are a heartless, loathsome ghoul.

• Locked thread