Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

The minute he leaves the embassy the Metropolitan Police will pick him up. There's a European Arrest Warrant out on him. It'd be Britain extraditing him to Sweden. His claimed terror was always of Sweden sending him on to the US, which was a nonsense excuse. Sweden's extradition treaty with the US prohibits extradition for"a political offense" or "an offense connected with a political offense."

Maybe he's planning to wait until we leave the EU and try to escape in the five minutes before there's a new extradition treaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm pretty sure he doesn't expect the government to approve of his leaks or give him immunity for them, and that's why he's not in the country.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh, absolutely. I'm more targeting my argument at the people who for some reason expect President Obama to pardon Snowden for revealing the NSA spying programs that President Obama already knew about and thought were perfectly fine. Snowden knew full well what he was doing and that he would never again be able to return to the US, but there are far too many supporters who don't seem to understand why the government is not in the business of granting clemency to people who think the government is wrong about things.

Yeah but the demands for clemency are more a moral stance standing for the belief that the government is wrong about those things and should admit it (but won't) than a substantive programme. That they won't actually be granted is almost beside the point - of course they won't, and that's the problem the demands are condemning.

Snowden is an American hero but will die in a foreign land. That's life.

• Locked thread