Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rookersh posted:

Did anything ever come of people saying the leaks she posted had information pertaining to tribal leaders/allies that helped us, which would cause them to be retaliated against? I remember that being a huge issue during her initial trial, that her leaks also hurt our allies.

I think whistleblowers should be protected obviously, but that stuff doesn't need to come out. I realize she was getting worked over by Assange taking advantage of her mental state, but if she did leak information that led to innocent people being hurt, she did deserve some sentence. There's a difference between leaking our human rights abuses and leaking out stuff that could get people or their families hurt.

Even with that though, 7 years has been long enough. Especially considering she was put in a male prison which is ridiculous.

I mentioned this in the Trumpocalypse thread, but one of the more compelling mitigating circumstances to me is that prior to Chelsea's data dump, Wikileaks had done at least a reasonable facsimile of due diligence in redacting potentially dangerously sensitive information that had been passed to them. There was no particularly major reason to assume they'd be less responsible this time around.

I seem to recall some folks expressing the somewhat reasonable view that "well, it's just not logistically feasible for Wikileaks to review this much data prior to release", but it does somewhat reduce Manning's culpability in my view even aside from the whole conditions-of-detention and fragile-mental-state thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Kingfish posted:

What manning did was very good. I don't care about our "national security relationships" with brutal dictatorships and I especially don't care if the leaked information got some CIA spooks killed.

How about if it hosed over local folks who worked with us?

As far as I know it didn't result in any confirmable deaths there (with maybe some hand-waggling in Pakistan), thank Allah, and I support Manning's leaks ESPECIALLY given the information she had at the time on Wikileaks' responsible behavior, but I am uncomfortable with a blanket condemnation of local assets for basically the same reason that I don't think we should institutionally be dicks to people solely because they aren't American.

Edit: or heck, rejoicing at the death of CIA employees for being CIA employees.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 19, 2017

• Locked thread