Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Can trump gently caress it up somehow? It seems like ~4 months as pres he would have a lot of options to undo it

Why would he? I don't think hes ever expressed an opinion on the Manning stuff or given any indication that he cares either way?

This is an empty promise, because it only mentions US extradition, and there's nothing to extradite him for because he was never charged with a crime by the US. He's in the embassy to hide from Swedish and British authorities, not the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not a Step posted:

Well, better late then never, but still kind of cowardly for Obama to wait until the end of his term when the political fallout isn't his problem anymore. What kept him from commuting Chelsea's sentence a year ago?

If there was too much of a gap between when the commutation was issued and when it actually went into effect, he'd just cause Manning supporters to make a bigger deal about her treatment.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not a Step posted:

Yeah, but I was hoping there was a better answer than 'chronic lack of spine'.

Why does there need to be any gap at all? Is there a Constitutional rule that prevents Obama from ordering her immediate release on time served?

Because Obama wanted her to serve a certain amount of time behind bars before going free.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Not a Step posted:

As I've mentioned before, it just seems super convenient that the optimal amount of punishment for Chelsea Manning just *happened* to be right after Obama leaves office and its somebody else's problem. Why not months ago when it was apparent the prison system was loving her over in regards to needed medical assistance and excessive solitary confinement? Did she really just need that extra few months of punishment?

Apparently so, since she still has to serve four more months.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peel posted:

Maybe he's planning to wait until we leave the EU and try to escape in the five minutes before there's a new extradition treaty.

He'd be arrested by the British police anyway since he skipped bail when he fled to the embassy.

Sephyr posted:

Ubless she handed them directly to foreign government agents or sold them for cold hard cash, it is. Daniel Ellsberg also broke sensitive state and defense information to the world, in a time of war and with a very vital USSr on the board to capitalize on it, and he's still a whistleblower.

He's also on Chelsea's side on this, by the way. But what does he know, right?

Ellsberg was prosecuted too; he likely would have spent a significant amount of time in prison if Nixon hadn't Nixoned him so hard.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I know I probably hold some similarly absurd beliefs that I simply just don't recognize as this batshit when considered side by side, yet... it's hard for me to figure out this perspective.

Obama's now commuted more sentences than any previous president. He's granted the relief of presidential clemency to 1,597 people. Yet his administration has prosecuted 8 cases for violations of the 1917 Espionage Act. Only 4 cases were prosecuted under that law before Obama took office.

Though he promised more protections for whistleblowers in his '08 campaign, passed the 2012 Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, and issued Presidential Policy Directive 19, which extended more protections to intelligence personnel, his 8 years seem to have been unusually brutal in terms of persecuting leaks. What really exacerbates the sense of this heavy-handedness is how unevenly those leaks were punished. Ranking insiders seem to have been shielded (Petraeus, anyone?), but nobodies like Snowden and Manning are publicly sacrificed. I don't know that the 8 years of this administration (if you can really say it's 8 continuous years of one administration, sitting president and veep aside) have actually been harder on whistleblowers, and I don't know if there's a reliable way to measure that, but it sure seems that way.

It never feels good to look at your government and see a commitment to protecting wrong-doers by punishing people who thought they were doing the right thing by publicizing misdeeds. I don't expect anything better from the Trump administration or any future administration, but it's also just insulting to see an administration receive eight years of having it both ways -- talking about transparency and justice while delivering little of either. If I've got a beef with President Obama, that's the heart of it.

welp that's my story, thanks

You're confusing two different types of whistleblowing here, and the distinction is really, really important. There are whistleblowers who circumvent the normal chain of command and report suspected misconduct to a higher authority within the government, and there are whistleblowers who believe that something the government is doing is morally wrong and leak it openly to the public. The Whistleblower Protection Act, the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, PPD-19, and other whistleblower protection laws only protect the first kind of whistleblowing - they're meant to protect whistleblowers from being retaliated against by their superiors for reporting problems and misconduct to their supervisors' bosses. There isn't any US law, as far as I'm aware, that protects the second type of whistleblowing - as far as the US government is concerned, going public with classified information is always unacceptable. And honestly, that makes a lot of sense from the government's perspective. If secrecy laws stop applying as soon as someone who looks at the material feels it shouldn't be secret, then secrecy laws might as well not exist. Nobodies get cracked down on harder because there are over four million people with security clearances, which means it's a lot harder to keep watch on the nobodies than the top rankers, so the government makes examples of them because it knows there's no way it can handle a wave of copycat crimes.

Now, I realize there are people who think that government secrecy shouldn't exist at all, but that's an entirely separate discussion.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

The NSA's programs were actually illegal under US law, and whistleblowers who had tried to work within the govt before Snowden had their lives destroyed, forcing his hand. These facts are convienently ignored by his opponents.

Whistleblower protection laws gave him the ability to report any illegal activities to high levels of command, as well as members of Congress. If you think that high-level executive branch officials and all of Congress lack the ability to tell right from wrong or can't be trusted to uphold the law, then fine, but don't expect that massive criminal conspiracy you think is running the entire government to give you clemency after you publicly defy them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Archonex posted:

Not saying it was right or wrong but weren't the NSA's actions being spearheaded by members of congress and that one weird NSA head with the Star Trek room that had a hard on for invading the privacy of citizens? Granted, I may be mis-remembering that part of the leaks. If not then i'm not sure how much higher you can take it than that.

My point is that if you believe that the very highest levels of government already approve of the behavior you believe is immoral or illegal, you probably shouldn't expect those very same people to give you a medal for revealing it. Considering the existence of current whistleblower protection laws, the only reasons to go public with a disclosure are if you believe Congress/the President approves of the behavior and will act to protect it, or if you oppose the entire concept of government security at an ideological level. In either case, you probably shouldn't expect the government to approve of your leaks or give you immunity for them. The government has no interest in having programs it wants to keep secret be revealed to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peel posted:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't expect the government to approve of his leaks or give him immunity for them, and that's why he's not in the country.

Oh, absolutely. I'm more targeting my argument at the people who for some reason expect President Obama to pardon Snowden for revealing the NSA spying programs that President Obama already knew about and thought were perfectly fine. Snowden knew full well what he was doing and that he would never again be able to return to the US, but there are far too many supporters who don't seem to understand why the government is not in the business of granting clemency to people who think the government is wrong about things.

• Locked thread