Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
God dammit Obama!

Chelsea Manning should have gotten the death penalty.

Edward Snowden deserves the same, he deserves worse really. But I have my doubts Orange Judas is going to punish his fellow friend of Ivan.

I guess if there is any tiny silver lining its that it will piss off trans-haters, but justice is a lot more important than pissing off lovely people and this is a miscarriage of justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spending seven years in prison under conditions that most of the world considers torture, attempting suicide twice, then being released on a whim by an outgoing president doesn't really redeem the US justice system. Snowden was right to flee.

Snowden is a russian spy and a defector who deserves the supreme sanction, every breath he takes is a miscarriage of justice.

Manning got off easy and is lucky to be alive at all.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Not a Step posted:

Well, better late then never, but still kind of cowardly for Obama to wait until the end of his term when the political fallout isn't his problem anymore. What kept him from commuting Chelsea's sentence a year ago?

It would have been obnoxiously unjust to fail to punish her at all, or for it to be some trifling punishment.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hollismason posted:

The Rosenbergs were literally spies for the Russian government and provided Nuclear Secrets. Manning released documents that showed the US government covered up the murder of innocent civilians in Iraq.

I agree edward snowden should suffer the same fate as those miscreants yes.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Not a Step posted:

As I've mentioned before, it just seems super convenient that the optimal amount of punishment for Chelsea Manning just *happened* to be right after Obama leaves office and its somebody else's problem. Why not months ago when it was apparent the prison system was loving her over in regards to needed medical assistance and excessive solitary confinement? Did she really just need that extra few months of punishment?

She was lucky to escape the death penalty.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Not a Step posted:

Im really more grousing at the 'the amount of time she served was perfectly correct and in no way reflected political expediency on Obama's part' crowd. If your stance is 'probably merited the death penalty' then I'll happily defend her commutation to May.

Like, don't get me wrong here, my position is her commutation is deserved, both because I disagree with the original sentence (national intelligence needs a system for whistleblowers that isn't 'report it up the chain') and because I feel the Feds royally hosed up her imprisonment, but I would have preferred it to have been several months earlier at least.

Presidents mostly commute people right before they leave office.

I'm not sure they try to sit down and figure out exactly how many years the person ~really~ deserved. When it comes time to leave office, people get their commutations.

It's a special presidential privilige, if the person is guilty, like chelsea manning is, then its an act of mercy.

Spitballing, but since this is a very controversial pardon, it would have had consequences for the democratic party. Whether some poo poo rat like chelsea manning gets let out of prison or not is issue number 64,328,521 in the list of political priorities in the US and it would have been very irresponsible to pay any political cost, no matter how small, over it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Agnosticnixie posted:

In a fair world she deserved a loving medal, and if a revolution comes around and manages to rename every place named after lost causer morons and other disgusting butchers, may her name be on the list of new names.

Revealing the ugliness of the world is not causing it, no matter how hard you want to spin it.

That's my finger to the natsec idiots in the thread rn.

In a fair world, there could be no question of a commutation because she would have been convicted of aiding the enemy and given the death penalty.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Agnosticnixie posted:

"God, progressive voters are so fickle, why won't they come out"
"Hey, let's destroy the life of this whistleblower, make them serve twice the time for the crime we pin on them, and let the actual butchers of Iraq go free and become respected elder statesmen, that will show them"

The Manning case was like example 10001 of why dems can barely get left wing voters to stop being apathetic.

She served more time than the underlings who got thrown to the dogs for Abu Ghraib. She was sentenced for three times as much time as the worst sentence handed over Abu Ghraib.

Giving vast troves of sensitive state and defense secrets to our enemies isn't whistleblowing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

bag em and tag em posted:

On one hand It's good but on the other she's being released into the wilds of Trump's America as a widely hated trans-person while her civil liberties are in extreme danger of being stripped away in an egregious fashion. I don't imagine her life going in a great direction.

Should have thought about that before betraying her country.

Anyway I get the feeling she'll be feted by naive and stupid people.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

evilweasel posted:

even if you think their leaks were justified there's no comparison regarding the scale of Snowden and Manning's leaks compared to, well, anyone besides Daniel Ellisberg and literal spies

Snowden is a literal spy/defector.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There's a word for people who defect to Russia with defense secrets.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have no love lost on Julian Assange. He's probably in it with the FSB given Wikileaks track record.

But he's not an American and wasn't entrusted with secrets, he's a journalist so he can do what he wants with stuff criminals give him.

Press is and should always be perfectly free, but people aren't free to share secrets theyve been entrusted with and see them disseminated to our enemies. Doing that should carry the harshest possible penalty.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
is the gender thing going to torpedo any Russia Today gig for Chelsea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh, absolutely. I'm more targeting my argument at the people who for some reason expect President Obama to pardon Snowden for revealing the NSA spying programs that President Obama already knew about and thought were perfectly fine. Snowden knew full well what he was doing and that he would never again be able to return to the US, but there are far too many supporters who don't seem to understand why the government is not in the business of granting clemency to people who think the government is wrong about things.

It would be a shocking miscarriage of justice to pardon a spy as despicable as snowden.

• Locked thread