Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Am I wrong to view this as a big gently caress you to Snowden?

He couldn't face trial because the government would torture pardon him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

tadashi posted:

Their case is that Snowden will not be pardoned because he fled.

Yes, and this undercuts the argument that he had to flee because the US justice system could never be fair, just look at Chelsea Manning.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Spending seven years in prison under conditions that most of the world considers torture, attempting suicide twice, then being released on a whim by an outgoing president doesn't really redeem the US justice system. Snowden was right to flee.

They kept her in solitary for 11 months, not 7 years. The way she was treated was hosed up but I don't think all prison time is torture.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Yes, the military was absolutely terrible in their response to manning's transition and mental health needs. I don't think it follows that Snowden could never expect fairness from the justice system. I don't know if I'm projecting that dynamic onto Obama's decision here.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

I wish they would agree to consider that and just try him for his revelations about foreign surveillance which clearly didn't serve any US public interest.

He thinks the public interest leaks absolve the rest, and he won't come back until the justice system agrees.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

DoctorWhat posted:

maybe the contents of the cables were the Actual Problem and international relationships founded on deceit are inherently unstable

Not her judgement to make. Weird naive philosophy about international relations doesn't turn all our diplomatic efforts into crimes.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

hillo posted:

US really should step down from their position as world police, they've been doing pretty awful job at it for the past.. forever

Trump may grant your silly wish

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Agnosticnixie posted:

"Maybe we could do without the US military killing a few million people whenever the state department has delusions"
"Oh you silly foreigner"

A party that got to power on the back of anti-war sentiment and immediately went "you know what, war is actually good". Not morally bankrupt.

Is this some feverish claim that the Libya intervention killed millions? Hate to break it to you but Democrats never campaigned on or for pacifism.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
She's a darling of the left and she's already an opinion writer at the guardian. There's a future for her in advocacy if she wants one.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
If she had leaked dirt about evil liberals instead of are troops she'd be their hero.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

bag em and tag em posted:

She cant go live OVER THERE or she'll be lynched. But if she stays in a liberal haven she'll just be harrassed a lot. Sounds good.

Being harassed due to your identity is terrible and all trans people experience it. Unlike most, manning has a platform to fight back in the media and she could probably get paid to do so relatively easily. She's one of the most recognizable trans people in the country and is the perfect person to criticize Trump's coming poo poo show for Trans people.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Thirtysomething republican state governments and attorney general Jeff sessions. Think about the bathroom bills with no federal pushback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Chomskyan posted:

I find it hilarious that to natsec people, the real horror of the Trump presidency is that he may stop bombing wedding parties.

Don't worry you sweet, sweet child, Trump isn't nearly principled enough to do that.

As we've seen in Syria, the alternatives for world (or regional) policeman have even less aversion to civilian casualties.

• Locked thread