Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

karthun posted:

She still gets the dishonorable discharge so she her life is going to still suck.

Good. After this election I don't get why liberals still think Manning is a hero for helping Assange build his empire.

Some of the material she leaked deserved to come to light, even if it was bad for US foreign policy interests, but the diplomatic cable leaks seem like a case of leaking information just because she and Assange could, and they arguably contributed a lot to global instability.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Snowden has said numerous times that he would face the US courts if they were willing to consider the potential that information he released was in the public interest. The Espionage Act specifically forbids this, so if he comes back it's only going to be for the sake of having the book thrown at him. Whether that constitutes a fair trial is up to you, I suppose it depends on how much you inherently respect the US legal system.

I wish they would agree to consider that and just try him for his revelations about foreign surveillance which clearly didn't serve any US public interest.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not a Step posted:

Well, better late then never, but still kind of cowardly for Obama to wait until the end of his term when the political fallout isn't his problem anymore. What kept him from commuting Chelsea's sentence a year ago?

Not wanting to make Hillary say he was wrong, presumably.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I very seriously doubt Assange is turning himself over to anyone, but if he did, he might take comfort in thinking Trump could commute his sentence since there's precedent.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

You are a heartless, loathsome ghoul.

Instability kills, and privileging your concept of justice over the hundreds of thousands that can die when society breaks down in another country could be equally heartless.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

The Rosenbergs were literally spies for the Russian government and provided Nuclear Secrets. Manning released documents that showed the US government covered up the murder of innocent civilians in Iraq.

...and a bunch of diplomatic leaks which had nothing to do with those crimes and may have contributed to a whole lot of deaths in the Middle East. It wasn't deliberate if that was the consequence, but that's why whistleblowers should be careful to leak only what they think the immoral behavior is and not to take a shotgun approach that reveals all sorts of unrelated behavior by many other actors.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

rscott posted:

You could be mad at the politicians doing the hosed up and shady poo poo that gets uncovered but instead you're mad at the people who uncovered it, way to be an enabler

You're right, every private in the military should be granted the authority to unleash Pandora's Box on the world if their informed moral judgment says they should do so.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

rscott posted:

Like seriously that is the same bullshit justification police use not to blow the whistle on their peers' abuses

The actual whistleblowing was fine. All the unrelated poo poo was overkill and she deserves her punishment for that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mdemone posted:

And...she got it? Can we now argue over whether X months in solitary is a just punishment for her crime?

Or we could keep doing whatever it is we're currently doing.

She got a very small fraction of it in terms of the length of her sentence. I don't think solitary confinement is humane, and if commutation was necessary to end that, so be it, but if it were purely a matter of time served I'd oppose it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

botany posted:

Also the US military has admitted that her leaks harmed nobody. And the stuff Petraeus leaked to his fuckbuddy was more sensitive and he got off with zero prison time. :allears:

Nobody was killed in direct reprisal attacks because of the leaks, but the diplomatic cables arguably helped to inspire the Arab Spring revolutions. I wish Petraeus had gone to prison too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Taking bets on whether Obama would've commuted her without the transgender angle in the mix.

Far less likely that he would have, and far fewer people would care. It really is a relevant consideration given how it contributed to her suffering in prison though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Can't say I really get the part about the disproportionate sentence given that it was a bigger leak than most.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Peel posted:

Snowden will die in a foreign land. That's life.

Not soon enough.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

spaceships posted:

will you cry every day until he does

Will you cry every day until Chelsea Manning is released? Even she thought she should be dead, though I don't.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chomskyan posted:

I mean, you can keep asserting this but it won't make it any more true. Bulk data collection is indiscriminate in nature. Meaning the US targets massive amounts of people without any individualized suspicion of wrongdoing. The type of data collected is also indiscriminate, including personal photos that could compromising in nature, scans of important documents. It's an unethical process of dubious value.

Also you may not have thought your argument through this far, but you're essentially giving countries like Russia and China a moral pass if they do the same thing to US citizens. Unless your angle is American Exceptionalism in which case holy poo poo

You're advocating unilateral disarmament.

• Locked thread