Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I am absolutely startled by this news. Completely unexpected. I have never been more surprised.

I have died from shock. I am dead now. My ghost is writing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Obama's going to be giving his final press conference shortly. Pretty good odds he'll be asked about this.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.buzzfeed.com/talalansari/president-obama-final-news-conference?utm_term=.qtBVb3qkm#.awawGmLjd

quote:

President Obama addressed his commutation of most of Chelsea Manning’s prison sentence at his final press conference on Wednesday.

“Chelsea Manning has served a tough prison sentence,” he said. “So the notion that the average person who was thinking about disclosing vital classified information would think it goes unpunished, I don’t think would get that impression from the sentence that Chelsea manning has served.”

Manning was an Army intelligence analyst arrested in 2010 and sentenced to 35 years in prison for the biggest breach of classified information of US national security history. She announced she was a transgender woman while in prison.

“It has been my view that, given she went to trial, that due process was carried out, that she took responsibility for her crime, that the sentence that she received was very disproportionate relative to what other leakers have received, and that she had served a significant amount of time, that it makes sense to commute — and not pardon — her sentence,” Obama said.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Will you cry every day until Chelsea Manning is released? Even she thought she should be dead, though I don't.

Wow, you're the edgiest edgelord ever. Edgier than, like, a million Hot Topic T-shirts.

• Locked thread