Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

This is a good thing, and I enjoy watching a bunch of nerds on the internet who've probably never done a good thing in their life complaining about how the good thing wasn't good enough so it is actually bad.

Personally, I've never seen anything out of the Manning leaks that I think qualifies as actual whistle-blowing, and I generally agree active duty military should be held to a different standard for information security than some one like Snowden who was a civilian contractor. That said, there just isn't any justice to be gained by keeping her locked up. She can't commit the crime again, she's already paid an enormous punitive price for her actions, any negative consequences that might have actually come from her actions are nebulous, and her imprisonment has been pretty drat inhumane (which should also be addressed). The only reason to keep her locked up is "we're really loving mad and want her to suffer" and I don't agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

duz posted:

The collateral murder video was rather important to the AP since they wanted to know what happened to their people and the military wasn't going to release it.

The Collateral Murder video comes closest, but it falls short of the line in my opinion. Despite that, If that was all she had leaked I'd probably give her the benefit of the doubt and call it whistle blowing, since people's judgement is going to differ on these things. Unfortunately it was dwarfed in volume by stuff like the diplomatic cables, which never should have been released to the public.

Wikileaks' style of leaking documents serves to do nothing but inflate Julian Assange's ego at the expense of all of us. Important whistle-blowing is overwhelmed by meaningless leaks, and meaningless leaks are pumped up to be earth shattering revelations. In the past, Journalists played an important role in filtering this stuff and giving us context, and if that's not already gone its rapidly being lost. Its a major factor in why we have crazy people shooting-up pizza places over John Podesta's meaningless emails, and the actual legit big news Panama Papers being completely forgotten inside a week.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

I want to emptyquote this but I'll just say I strongly agree instead, laffo that I should care about our "ally" status with fuckin Pakistan and similar places.

Oh nooooo, not the feelings of the place(s) that would put me to death.

You should care about our relationship with Pakistan because they're an unstable state with a sizeable nuclear arsenal with a long running and heated dispute with the second most populous county on Earth.

The price of things going bad in Pakistan goes up to tens of millions of innocent people dying in a nuclear inferno, followed by hundreds of millions more dying in the chaos that follows.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

One of the biggest problems I feel we have on the left is that we've spent so much time (correctly) criticising the numerous failures of American foreign policy that we've lost the perspective to see anything else.

This has led to the incorrect assumption by a whole lot of people on the left that we should instead embrace a laissez-faire attitude to foreign policy, which would probably be a disaster.

For all of our numerous gently caress-ups and faults, the US growing into the world's only super power is also correlated with a massive global decrease in people (both soldiers and civilians) dying in conflicts and violence.

If the US withdraws into isolationism, it's going to leave a massive power vacuum which others are going to rush in to fill (and nobody is in the position to fill it, and most of the other options are a different flavor of bad or straight up worse). The result of that is instability and war, not peace and prosperity.

• Locked thread