Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SimonCat posted:

PVT Manning released that information in a childish hissy fit. Nothing admirable about it.

Well don't forget it was at the prompting of known informant Adrian Lamo that she copied the cables and gave them to Wikileaks. And then known informant Adrian Lamo dutifully reported who leaked those cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

evilweasel posted:

That's always been a smokescreen to avoid facing his rape charges because anyone with half a brain knows the UK was far more likely to agree to extradite him to the US than Sweden. There was never any reason to believe facing his charges in Sweden increased his risk of extradition, he was always just playing credulous idiots to avoid justice.

Yeah, Assange was walking around the UK without complaint while he was fighting extradition to Sweden. As soon as he lost he went straight to the embassy under the fear the UK was going to send him to the US instead.
Plus there's the whole not being charged with anything in the US and not being a US citizen thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Personally, I've never seen anything out of the Manning leaks that I think qualifies as actual whistle-blowing, and I generally agree active duty military should be held to a different standard for information security than some one like Snowden who was a civilian contractor.

The collateral murder video was rather important to the AP since they wanted to know what happened to their people and the military wasn't going to release it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

There are also members of congress that think the nsa went too far. I'm sure they could've helped.

• Locked thread