Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
Could someone please translate this sentence to simplified Chinese for me: "Please, God, give me death" Google translate doesn't seem to reliable on this one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

By the way, I've heard that one of the absolute best things to get on AliExpress is fishing gear/lures, so if you have an old boring dad or granddad who likes fishing, you could probably drop $10 and get him the equivalent of a major haul.

Can confirm, but it is a crapshoot. I have bought a aftermarket spool that is decent and a rod that is awesome for the $50 I paid, but I have read a lot of horror stories about guy's getting just like a tube of graphite shards and poo poo like that.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can I order LED filament light bulbs and expect them to arrive unbroken?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember a few years ago I had a really odd requirement for a computer part I needed. It was a 3.5" front panel thing for a desktop PC that had to be a floppy drive, a multi memory card reader, and an IR receiver all in one. Didn't exist on ebay, Newegg, nowhere, but I actually found this imaginary device on aliexpress.

Unfortunately back then you had to order in batches of 100 :(

I found it amusing though that this ridiculous configuration did exist but only on one website.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I ordered from this website a few years ago and never got my chinese package of garbage, would not buy again

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I'm into ordering phone cases from AliExpress. My personal approach is "if I'd buy it at a dollar store or forever 21, I'll buy it from aliexpress, because: same thing"

Selfie sticks? Pencil bags? Funny kitchen goods? yes. please. I embrace my garbage.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I order stuff on Wish, forget I ordered it, and get a nice surprise several months later!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I just ordered this bird feeder! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Clear-Window-Squirrel-Proof-Bird-Feeder-Window-bird-feeders/32434113812.html

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
This place sells literally everything and I cant wait for trump to shut it all down cause it shows you what things actually cost and thats not good

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

This place sells literally everything and I cant wait for trump to shut it all down cause it shows you what things actually cost and thats not good

Slave labor enthusiasts ITT

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I wonder how many times I can drink out of this AliExpress glassware set before the thorium content in my body reaches dangerous levels

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

Psycho Society posted:

Slave labor enthusiasts ITT

there is no ethical consumption in our society

and I've seen plastic things I paid $1.50 for on sale in a stylish box with a label at tj maxx for $10, so gently caress it, in my opinion

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
So many of our dumb card holders keep doing mass refunds to that place.

And a lot of fraud gets associated with it, too.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

This seems like a money laundering operation for Chinese gangsters who smuggle people.

I'm fuckin' in

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Hug in a Can posted:

there is no ethical consumption in our society

and I've seen plastic things I paid $1.50 for on sale in a stylish box with a label at tj maxx for $10, so gently caress it, in my opinion

I mean yeah the money you pay for the same item marked up downtown is probably not going to the people who actually made it but it at least rooms room for the imagination.

It just seems a little cynical to go "oh well everything we buy is made by people who receive barely enough in return to get food and housing to continue working but nothing more than that so who cares"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I'd actually looked at that same bird feeder, I really like it!

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

Psycho Society posted:

I mean yeah the money you pay for the same item marked up downtown is probably not going to the people who actually made it but it at least rooms room for the imagination.

It just seems a little cynical to go "oh well everything we buy is made by people who receive barely enough in return to get food and housing to continue working but nothing more than that so who cares"

you're absolutely right and as someone who isn't a career activist I give my capitalist ca$h to organizations that combat human rights violations like this! :cool:

and in the meantime, check out this dope bracelet :coal:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32388066975/32388066975.html
I'm going to get 2 and wear them stylishly

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In one case it only goes to the people who made it, in the second it financially rewards the people who found and exploited them. By exploiting them directly, you cut out one exploiter and remove the incentive for them to exploit further.

If that seems cynical, :capitalism:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hug in a Can posted:

you're absolutely right and as someone who isn't a career activist I give my capitalist ca$h to organizations that combat human rights violations like this! :cool:

and in the meantime, check out this dope bracelet :coal:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32388066975/32388066975.html
I'm going to get 2 and wear them stylishly

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Gothic-Men-Jewelry-Titanium-Steel-Bird-Head-Skull-Pendant-Necklace/32652137844.html

i'm thinking of something like this!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neutrino posted:

Can I order LED filament light bulbs and expect them to arrive unbroken?

The traditional approach is, "order one and find out"

A lot of their stuff actually does get shipped stupidly carefully because shipping materials are cheap and the mail in China is so stupidly subsidized.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ChickenHeart posted:

I wonder how many times I can drink out of this AliExpress glassware set before the thorium content in my body reaches dangerous levels

cheap thorium imho

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

that reminds me of my most worn jewelry purchase to date:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32616025107/32616025107.html

here's a fun jewelry tip: cover the metal in clear nail polish so it poisons you less! :buddy:

one time I ordered $15 of cheap jewelry and dumped it on a table and shared it with my friends. it was a cool party favor

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

also we are all now barren. win win situation!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I never ordered anything from aliexpress because I like my consumerist gratification to be instant but maybe I will now hmm

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Psycho Society posted:

Does anyone have links to Alibaba being a slave labor ring or are we just keeping with racist rumors put forth by companies who want to mark it all up.

It reminds me of the lies spread by Games Workshop fanboys who go after recasters saying that some how the Games workshop resin (finecast / forgeworld) is some how way more healthy than Chinese resin.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

I never ordered anything from aliexpress because I like my consumerist gratification to be instant but maybe I will now hmm

There's some good stuff I think you'd like which are like, makeup peripherals? But not make-up per se, like the sponges you use to help you clean brushes.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

let's get some high quality posts in here. remember:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32359312939/32359312939.html

NO
MO-
RE
SUCKS

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

Pick posted:

There's some good stuff I think you'd like which are like, makeup peripherals? But not make-up per se, like the sponges you use to help you clean brushes.

the bb dupes are no good but I love the little silicone brush cleaners

the brushes are okay, they're the same as the no name brush sets you can buy on Amazon

DO NOT BUY THE SEX TOYS.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
If you are a lady who likes pretty things you can also try BornPretty, which is pretty much just a frontend for AliExpress stuff but the shop interface and more limited inventory makes it easier to find what you want. You can get nail art supplies real cheap (striping tape, cleaning brushes, rhinestones, etc) as well as some awesome hair stuff and weird accessories like those bean sprout clips. Don't trust their single day turnaround but every time I've ordered from them it's come in 2 weeks or less (but ymmv)
I got these last time (as well as a bunch of other crap) and I have not died of cadmium poisoning yet
http://www.bornprettystore.com/flying-little-hair-clip-hair-pretty-decoration-hair-slide-clip-p-17848.html
http://www.bornprettystore.com/stylish-planet-rabbit-hairpin-hair-clip-astronaut-hair-decoration-patterns-p-27939.html

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Does anyone have links to Alibaba being a slave labor ring or are we just keeping with racist rumors put forth by companies who want to mark it all up.

It reminds me of the lies spread by Games Workshop fanboys who go after recasters saying that some how the Games workshop resin (finecast / forgeworld) is some how way more healthy than Chinese resin.

Uh no, all of the opinions I stated were just my own reservations about buying from a company that obviously (as opposed to just probably) cannot pay its workers anything above a subsidence wage.

If in your world that's an opinion that can only be wrought into exististence from the racist conspiracy of Big Department Store, then be all means keep doing you my man

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
cat purse

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hug in a Can posted:

the bb dupes are no good but I love the little silicone brush cleaners

the brushes are okay, they're the same as the no name brush sets you can buy on Amazon

DO NOT BUY THE SEX TOYS.

yeah I can agree with all this :hf: :c00l:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I want that cat purse myself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
How about this cat memo pad?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Or, for $1.30, you can get a cat bursting out of your toilet

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

Pick posted:

Or, for $1.30, you can get a cat bursting out of your toilet

pssht we all already have that irl, don't act like it's worth it :colbert:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...and the pitch! posted:

I want that cat purse myself.

BTW it's pretty rare that it's not on sale, keep an eye out and it'll be like $6 in the next few days I'm sure.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Psycho Society posted:

Uh no, all of the opinions I stated were just my own reservations about buying from a company that obviously (as opposed to just probably) cannot pay its workers anything above a subsidence wage.

If in your world that's an opinion that can only be wrought into exististence from the racist conspiracy of Big Department Store, then be all means keep doing you my man

So just assumptions?

Also, livable wages change based on where you live. I'd be a king with my wage in Arkansas, then again, you know what they say about gold medal winners in the special olympics.

I'm just curious if people had any hard evidence of this kind of stuff as when I've pressed people it's only been backed by assumptions.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
These oval brushes are without a doubt the absolute best applicators for Rub n Buff

Unfortunately, they are $55 apiece at Anthropologie

Fortunately, they are 90 cents apiece on Aliexpress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
those look like artise brush dupes but i've heard the dupes aren't near as dense

do they have good press on nails?