Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

$4 https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32692157347.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Other posted:

If you really have to buy some bootleg figure then do yourself a favour and look up the listing for the original on myfigurecollection.net before you burn your cash. There you should find comparisons between the original and the knock made off by users, the difference in quality can be quite extreme some times

Oh, no doubt. Looking at the selection, a few of the Nendoroids on Ali Express aren't even that much cheaper than the real thing.

I was interested in body chan figures too, for artist reference. With those, I would be more concerned with poseability.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

WrenP-Complete posted:

You guys, the FABRICS.
:swoon:

I KNOW. I haven't had the cash to buy any but someday (when I have a sewing machine again) I'm going to make the most voluminous burnout velvet maxi skirt. Or skater / circle skirt. Or both.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Never bought from here before because the prices seemed suspicious.

But no make up, no electronics. is the jewelry ok? What can I trust from china?

I want the cat coin machine but that would be very useless :(

Entertainment is not useless!

Makeup brushes are OK, though usually lower quality than whatever they're knockoffs of, you just gotta sanitize them before use. Things like brush holders and scrubbers are useful. Jewerly is fine unless you're extra sensitive, and even then you can use clear nail polish to coat the parts that touch your skin and usually you'll be fine. You can also find jewelry that's supposedly free of irritants, including nickel. In my experience (I've bought a lot of settings and such since I do the handmade jewelry thing) that's accurate about 70% of the time, and you get your $ back if it's not.

Clothing is okay, although you need to pay attention to the size charts / size up if the sizes are Chinese. Don't buy casual/lounge/sports bras if you're busty, they don't seem to produce any level of support beyond "covers the tits."

I wash everything before I wear it, because China.

Honestly, electronics, toys your kid may put in their mouth, and makeup are the only big no-no's. And plenty of people buy the makeup, knowingly or otherwise, and are fine. Sometimes particularly nasty batch of something will cause skin/eye infection (testing of counterfeit cosmetics usually turns up animal and human feces), but the bigger worry is absorption of heavy metals over time. Testing usually shows super-high amounts of those.

Pick posted:

I have a quoted section in the OP that is all jewelry I've purchased and like a bunch!

I go against common wisdom and I do actually buy some makeup there. I am not personally dead at this time, but it's probably not a good idea.

Eh I just realized the Benefit Erase Paste (a thing that goes on the delicate skin of my under eyes, for those who don't know) that I've been using for like two years is counterfeit. I'm not dead. Unhappy, but not dead. It's my own fault, too, I received it with some other fake minis in a set from Amazon, kept them for reference, and somehow the erase paste got in my personal "to try" basket. Freaked me out, but thanks to Amazon preserving order details forever, I was able to ascertain I hadn't sold any of the fake poo poo, which was my real concern.

I probably have slightly higher levels of lead & similar in my body than I would otherwise. I still am gonna discourage people from doing it, but not gonna judge you.

Now I'm curious. What do you use that's from AE? How's the quality? Would you be able to tell it was fake, if any of it is knockoffs of authentic products?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

I need the all-silver one immediately.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Now I'm curious. What do you use that's from AE? How's the quality? Would you be able to tell it was fake, if any of it is knockoffs of authentic products?

Not a bunch, although I have a number of brushes from there (though my foundation brush was a $ one from Ulta and I have a legit Beauty Blender that do most of the work).

Hmm, most of them aren't listed now, I guess because they were forgeries of something. I actually don't check if they are or not, I don't know most of the brands unless they're also a clothing brand.

I got some metallic lip colors and some mattes to see how those shades look on me, seemed to be about drugstore quality. I do know at least one was Colourpop, which as it turns out is a real brand, so whether these were third-shift or counterfeits, I don't know. I REALLY like these though. And I used to use these until I got a pot of something better for the job, but they're fine. Been happy with these too, seem to be a Chinese brand.

Hmm, looking through my orders I've bought fewer cosmetics there than I thought!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, but these false eyelashes are INCREDIBLE, far better than any I've seen for sale elsewhere in the States. They're not clipped, it's the natural taper of the fiber. Great effect.

I know we're like, what, four dollars ha ha? But you can get sets of like ten pairs of falsies for under two bucks, so by China standards these are probably like $100 eyelashes. Anyway they rule.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 21, 2017

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Never bought from here before because the prices seemed suspicious.

But no make up, no electronics. is the jewelry ok? What can I trust from china?

And no search skills? Holy poo poo!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
After-runs are usually branded, almost always a "higher end" (not drugstore) brand. MAC, Urban Decay, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Tarte, whatever's popular right now. Browsing makeup on Wish or Mercari will tell you real fast what's being copied, because there will be $65 palettes for $20, and things like obvious (if you know what you're looking for) packaging errors, like this:

The real one has gold on the lids of the model, the fake doesn't. The fake also doesn't have the right texture for 7 of the shadows, which is why sellers that use their own pics do better than those that use stock. This one isn't an after-run, or the shadows would at least appear the same.

My other favorite thing counterfeiters do that gives them away is when they invent products that don't actually exist. Urban Decay has 4 Naked palettes, plus 3 Naked Basics palettes and 1 Ultimate Basics (or something) palette.

You can easily find Naked 5 & Naked 6 palettes on Mercari, Wish, AE, etc. And "Naked 3" brush sets, which doesn't make sense if you know the brand.

Similarly, Tarte has 2 "Tartelette" palettes. Wish has up to Tartelette 6 already.

Also fun, sometimes they'll take one of those massive 120 shade shadow palettes and stick "MAC" on the front. MAC doesn't make those, and if they did, they'd be a couple hundred bucks. But lucky you, you can get them on Amazon for $20!

That's something I don't think a lot of people realize, how many 3rd party sellers on Amazon also have Wish/Aliexpress storefronts, because they are in China, selling bootlegs. Most of the non-brand clothing on Amazon is from China. Might as well save the markup and cut out the middleman.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
it's getting awfully chick-ish up in this poo poo

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Teikanmi posted:

found your next pair of shoes, teikanmi :)

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

oh no I think they doxxed you :ohdear:

maybe you can ask them nicely to remove your picture??

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

There are quite a few items that are also decent products that are original items that have been picked up by American/European companies. They then have the factory make minor differences and mark it up. My latest example, I bought a 240w/12a dual lipo battery charger that has been available for a while under the original name on aliexpress for $100. Now, an American company, Reedy, imports and sells the same unit with their name, new color, and a non-Chinglish manual for $180 or so.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Oh hey I love AliExpress, Im currently in the middle of the shotgun like delivery spread of my last order. I did get this charming message a few days ago -

Yes I bought an LED RGB Lightbulb with built in Bluetooth speaker after seeing one at my friends place and it is rad as gently caress.

Im also guessing this is where an ex-colleague of mine got the supplies to do this to his car

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have a lightbulb like that they own yes

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Astrobastard posted:

Oh hey I love AliExpress, Im currently in the middle of the shotgun like delivery spread of my last order. I did get this charming message a few days ago -

Yes I bought an LED RGB Lightbulb with built in Bluetooth speaker after seeing one at my friends place and it is rad as gently caress.

Im also guessing this is where an ex-colleague of mine got the supplies to do this to his car

Were they individual stickers? Because you can buy rolls of contact paper that is printed to look like a bunch of stickers to cover large areas like that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Astrobastard posted:

What a goddamn idiot

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Professor Shark posted:

What a goddamn idiot

Yeah im not a fan but theyre all vinyl so whatever I guess

cyberia posted:

Were they individual stickers? Because you can buy rolls of contact paper that is printed to look like a bunch of stickers to cover large areas like that.

Yeah i bought similar packs and you can choose fom the A, B, C, D etc set that are 100 unique vinyl stickers within each "set" but I just bought some to stick on my lovely laptop and a few other things, would never chuck em on a car. Id still prefer to have control over the placement and those vinyl wraps tend to repeat the pattern way too often

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
Finally a goddamn Russian Tea Set! ONE PING VASILI! JUST. ONE.

Place is legit, thank you. 40 bucks, some douche canoe tried to sell me one similar for 300.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Teikanmi posted:

Shhh it's okay I know it's past nap time, here, put on these new jammies

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Teikanmi posted:

just roll with it
slightly :nws:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone ordered from Deal Extreme lately? I remember the old GBS thread on that site. Would take like 2 months to get your order and there was a 50% chance they'd send you the wrong item or send you extra items for no reason.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
one time i ordered a Deion Sanders Atlanta Braves jersey from aliexpress and it never came.

pretty upset that would have been a really sweet jersey. (obviously they're fake but most people cant tell and i dont care)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

NurhacisUrn posted:

Finally a goddamn Russian Tea Set! ONE PING VASILI! JUST. ONE.

Place is legit, thank you. 40 bucks, some douche canoe tried to sell me one similar for 300.

Maybe try the app it's showing as 27.69 for me. App prices are lower.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Snowy posted:

Maybe try the app it's showing as 27.69 for me. App prices are lower.

:kingsley:

Thank you!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah there's a weird thing where the app prices are always equal or less

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Pick posted:

Yeah there's a weird thing where the app prices are always equal or less

Its not a weird thing as such, they just know they can push more ads that way because they know that people looking for 1$ purchases with free shipping are going to be tight cunts and endure the ads to save a few bucks. Guilty. They even say on the site "please use the loving app you get better deals". I love my cheap China poo poo and I pray Trump doesnt gently caress it up for me

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
What I don't get is I bought someone off EBay, shipped from China and it arrived not even a week later. Meanwhile, something I bought from Alibaba took six weeks to arrive from China.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

What I don't get is I bought someone off EBay, shipped from China and it arrived not even a week later. Meanwhile, something I bought from Alibaba took six weeks to arrive from China.

I bought a bunch off buckyball magnet things off alibaba, and they came from china in under 6 days. Meanwhile, it takes nearly 2 weeks to ship something across canada.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Justin Godscock posted:

They have different shipping types, like we do domestically. You can get stuff in a week sometimes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I ended up putting 105$ on a VISA gift card, and I spent like 96 and some change.

Please show me the most awesome/weirdest/whateverist you got for 8 dollars and under total.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Justin Godscock posted:

I dont know how it is anywhere else but there is no way you'd get free shipping from Ebay in the EU, at the most on very limited selection anyway

Some stuff gets shipped or forwarded from the Netherlands, some from Germany, some from China from my experience

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Johnny Aztec posted:

Please show me the most awesome/weirdest/whateverist you got for 8 dollars and under total.

Two of these

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I looked up a laptop battery and shipping was $1,028

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hey man these factory workers don't work for free

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Shhh it's okay I know it's past nap time, here, put on these new jammies

lol @ this triggered goon

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Snowy posted:

Two of these

I ended up buying two of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zoo...d5506&tpp=1

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I looked up a laptop battery and shipping was $1,028

That's how many MB of RAM it uses

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

make sure its the righ type of ram

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Maybe I'm doing this wrong but I'm looking through the app and pretty much nothing looks like a good deal?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Maybe I'm doing this wrong but I'm looking through the app and pretty much nothing looks like a good deal?

You're doing this wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Pick posted:

You're doing this wrong

Doing something very wrong. Cheap stuff everywhere and free shipping on much of it.