Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

evilweasel posted:

Tesla is also a luxury car company though, and they're spreading their R&D for their more limited self-driving over fewer cars as a result. There's certainly going to be an attempt to capitalize on the software and recoup R&D, but I think you're underestimating the value of sticking something in a car that sells millions of cars and making less per car than sticking it in a luxury car and charging a lot more for fewer units. It also seems like they're doing the luxury thing as sort of a way to make back the R&D money with imperfect self-driving like Tesla and other car companies are doing.

But if you're the first one to market with a fully self-driving car and you know you have enough of a head start on your competitors, it seems to me you're far better off coming out with a line of self-driving cars for every market niche and trying to blitz your way to hilarious market share, instead of focusing on profits at the high-end luxury market. You'll get more money and your competitive position will last longer.

Restricting the initial release to a luxury car makes sense for a few reasons. Firstly, I'd be surprised if the R&D on the technology has gotten to the point of reducing the per-unit price to something that makes sense in a mass-market car. If the price of the autonomous feature pushes a budget car up to around that of a luxury car anyway, then a lot of people are going to hold out for the price to drop. Secondly, the final format of the technology and more importantly the legal implications of that technology is still far from certain. Much better to take a risk on potentially having to recall 20,000 cars than 2,000,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
plus, also, it will be the first recorded use of a high end bmw's turn signals being activated so thats nice

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

dex_sda posted:

Even if you can't build a subway, dedicating a lane to trams works well and they can be electric and clean and fast and comfortable. You can even get whatever remaining buses for less common routes you have on the same lane and they'll avoid the worst of the traffic this way.

But that's again, very expensive, and it'll only get worse if you look to the autonomous car future (which is a terrible solution to the problem for a variety of reasons, many of which boner confessor brought up). It's hard to say how we could possibly tackle this problem in the future.

Most metro areas aren't built around a Central Business District where everyone commutes to and from everyday. The majority of traffic is point to point, not hub based.

The cost of tearing down and rebuilding a several county metro area to work with a heavy mass transit approach would be astronomical. Or even the disruption from huge zoning changes would be dramatic.

Getting more capacity from our existing infrastructure is a hell of a lot smarter than changing an entire metropolitan area to fit a different model.

Yeah, we could design brand new cities that are much more efficient than our current ones. But the cost would dramatically outweigh any gains.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Soylent Yellow posted:

Firstly, I'd be surprised if the R&D on the technology has gotten to the point of reducing the per-unit price to something that makes sense in a mass-market car.

The price of what per unit? Cameras? Ultrasonic range finders? Computers?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xae posted:

Most metro areas aren't built around a Central Business District where everyone commutes to and from everyday. The majority of traffic is point to point, not hub based.

The cost of tearing down and rebuilding a several county metro area to work with a heavy mass transit approach would be astronomical. Or even the disruption from huge zoning changes would be dramatic.

Getting more capacity from our existing infrastructure is a hell of a lot smarter than changing an entire metropolitan area to fit a different model.

Yeah, we could design brand new cities that are much more efficient than our current ones. But the cost would dramatically outweigh any gains.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soylent Yellow posted:

Restricting the initial release to a luxury car makes sense for a few reasons. Firstly, I'd be surprised if the R&D on the technology has gotten to the point of reducing the per-unit price to something that makes sense in a mass-market car. If the price of the autonomous feature pushes a budget car up to around that of a luxury car anyway, then a lot of people are going to hold out for the price to drop. Secondly, the final format of the technology and more importantly the legal implications of that technology is still far from certain. Much better to take a risk on potentially having to recall 20,000 cars than 2,000,000.

R&D costs don't care about per unit prices. They're sunk costs, not per-unit costs, so when you consider how to make those back you care only about your total gross revenue. That said there is a fair amount of merit to the test in the marketplace first, then widely deploy strategy - but the potential gains from capturing the market seem so high that why not just transfer the stuff to a subsidiary and if it turns out that whoops, we need a recall, the subsidiary goes bankrupt.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

i never understand how people can be all "well we can't tear everything down and start fresh" like anyone even said that was feasible. just add and retrofit one link at a time. when people say "thing needs to change" they're not implicitly saying "thing needs to change tomorrow". claiming the thing you don't agree with is tantamount to building a tower to climb to heaven is just absurd and rhetorically defeatist

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

boner confessor posted:

i never understand how people can be all "well we can't tear everything down and start fresh" like anyone even said that was feasible. just add and retrofit one link at a time. when people say "thing needs to change" they're not implicitly saying "thing needs to change tomorrow". claiming the thing you don't agree with is tantamount to building a tower to climb to heaven is just absurd and rhetorically defeatist

One link at a time?

Autonomous cars will be here decades before your transit dream at that pace.

And does changing the time table change the volume of work required? No.

You're talking about some sort of century long urban planning scheme.

Urban planning can help, but not in the timelines you're taking about.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

One link at a time?

Autonomous cars will be here decades before your transit dream at that pace.

And does changing the time table change the volume of work required? No.

You're talking about some sort of century long urban planning scheme.

Urban planning can help, but not in the timelines you're taking about.

what is my transit dream, since you're so well informed on things i haven't said in this thread :allears:

meanwhile, dallas has become the largest light rail operator in the us because of steady expansion which is impossible, apparently

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

boner confessor posted:

this assumes the average consumer actually WANTS a self driving car. i think people are generally positive about the technology but definently hesitant to trust it. you tun the risk of trying to push a product onto a hesitant consumer base and burning yourself

I assume the vast majority of self-driving cars will initially have it as a setting and retain the full ability to drive it manually for that exact reason. If people don't want it I assume they pull the computer out and charge them a little less but the sensors are probably cheap enough you just leave them in.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 18, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

I assume the vast majority of self-driving cars will initially have it as a setting and retain the full ability to drive it manually for that exact reason. If people don't want it I assume they pull the computer out and charge them a little less but the sensors are probably cheap enough you just leave them in.

Also most self driving features are useful as driver assist or safety features.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

boner confessor posted:

what is my transit dream, since you're so well informed on things i haven't said in this thread :allears:

meanwhile, dallas has become the largest light rail operator in the us because of steady expansion which is impossible, apparently

Good point you haven't contributed much of anything. Most of what you've done in this thread is jack yourself off over how bad cars are and how "toxic" suburbs are.

Autonomous Cars: Auto-Erotic Urbanism

DART took ~35 years of planning and construction for <1% of Traffic in Dallas. If you're considering that a success Autonomous cars will probably behalf way there in a couple of years.

Mass Transit and great and important, but it isn't a full solution unless we're talking about some sort of FULL COMMUNISM NOW thing where people are forcibly relocated into brand new urban areas.The reason why mass transit sucks in most American cities is because we don't have the density. Trying to say that Mass Transit is the way is implying that you're going to dramatically increase the density of American cities. Which means you're talking about changing entire counties and metropolitan areas.

You can dangle carrots and do it area by area, but we're talking about decades of work. Even as someone who is skeptical about autonomous cars I think the timeline for them is much faster than a timeline for redesigning every metropolitan area.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense to use new technology to increase our existing roadways and supplement with mass transit where we can. Much like what we're doing now. If autonomous cars deliver and let us get by with less capacity on the roadways then by all means lets start increasing funding for mass transit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

His post was "we can't just BUILD INFRASTRUCTURE" so thanks for proving my point.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Peanut President posted:

His post was "we can't just BUILD INFRASTRUCTURE" so thanks for proving my point.

No, it was "We can't just completely tear down and rebuild areas in which millions of people live and work in a short period of time just to support your preferred method of transit.".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xae posted:

No, it was "We can't just completely rearrange areas in which millions of people live and work in a short period of time".

Yeah we can, it's called building infrastructure. Do you think a unicorn farts in a forest and the freeway system just appears?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Peanut President posted:

Yeah we can, it's called building infrastructure. Do you think a unicorn farts in a forest and the freeway system just appears?

Except we weren't talking about building a couple of new rail lines or roads.

People were talking about tearing down and rebuilding a huge percentage of structures in multi-county metro areas to support mass transit.

Xae posted:

If people are talking about a mostly mass transit future they are talking about a complete redesign of most urban and suburban areas.

They're talking about a tear down and rebuild of entire metropolitan areas. They are talking about decades to centuries of work as if it is on a similar timeline as autonomous vehicles.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

boner confessor posted:

This. That's how it was implemented here and it was a few years of drivers whining about slightly increased congestion due to zonal rebuilds followed by massively decreased congestion forever.

Nothing needed to be 'torn down' and most things in here can't because they're antique. I guarantee there is an opportunity for massive improvement like that in most places that don't already have decent transit. Restructuring roads with efficiency in mind does a lot, because most cities just expanded as needed instead of having a plan.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 19, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Peanut President posted:

The interstate highway system started 70 years ago and I-95 isn't even going to be finished until 2018. Wishes to change transport infrastructure happen over entire lifetimes.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Xae posted:

Except we weren't talking about building a couple of new rail lines or roads.

People were talking about tearing down and rebuilding a huge percentage of structures in multi-county metro areas to support mass transit.

If people are talking about a mostly mass transit future they are talking about a complete redesign of most urban and suburban areas.

They're talking about a tear down and rebuild of entire metropolitan areas. They are talking about decades to centuries of work as if it is on a similar timeline as autonomous vehicles.

I went back a page to see where anyone said this and nobody said this. Should I have gone back two pages?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

augias posted:

I went back a page to see where anyone said this and nobody said this. Should I have gone back two pages?

They are talking about it, they just don't realize it.

The space around major cities is already being used. People are either talking about going to the countryside and building new urban areas or changing the existing areas to meet the new development models which is a tear down and rebuild.

How else are all these high density urban areas with little to no suburban areas are going to come into existence?

They are just hand waving off the creation of cities and metropolitan areas based off new models of development and urban planning.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Xae posted:

The space around major cities is already being used. People are either talking about going to the countryside and building new urban areas or changing the existing areas to meet the new development models which is a tear down and rebuild.

How else are all these high density urban areas with little to no suburban areas are going to come into existence?

By the process we described, that has been done to good effect in numerous cities with sufficient funding?

And anyway, for a switch to autonomous cars to decrease congestion, you'd have to rebuild a lot of the infrastructure. They aren't magical things that can break the laws of physics. If you have to take into account being in a city not built with them in mind, they can't safely drive in a way that decreases congestion significantly enough to offset the increase in cars on the roads.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2017

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Xae posted:

People are either talking about going to the countryside and building new urban areas or changing the existing areas to meet the new development models which is a tear down and rebuild.

I went back again and did not see anybody saying this either. Unless you believe 'building light rail and increasing mass transit over existing congested thoroughfares' means 'demolishing everything and rebuilding everything from scratch'. In which case there is no hope for dialog.

dex_sda posted:

By the process we described, that has been done to good effect in numerous cities with sufficient funding?

And anyway, for a switch to autonomous cars to decrease congestion, you'd have to rebuild a lot of the infrastructure. They aren't magical things that can break the laws of physics. If you have to take into account being in a city not built with them in mind, they can't safely drive in a way that decreases congestion significantly enough to offset the increase in cars on the roads.
To be a little bit fair, if autonomous cars really significantly decreased highway accidents, traffic times and emmissions would significantly drop with it. Just not as much as if mass transit were more popular.

augias fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 19, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

augias posted:

I went back again and did not see anybody saying this either. Unless you believe 'building light rail and increasing mass transit over existing congested thoroughfares' means 'demolishing everything and rebuilding everything from scratch'. In which case there is no hope for dialog.
Did you read the thread? Like at all?

Redesigning the Suburbs:

quote:

no, he's not. nobody is proposing this. all stichensis is saying is that single family detached homeownership as a societal ideal is toxic. you're the one extrapolating from there into a call to "depopulate the suburbs". you can make suburbs denser without eliminating them. many suburbs are already doing this. please please please please please do not turn this conversation into a strawman jousting match where you defend the suburban way of life from people who you incorrectly imagine are trying to destroy it

one example is what's called conservation subdivision planning, basically sticking the houses closer together on the same plot of land - preserves more space for the environment, reduces the amount of car travel done within the subdivision, makes mass transit more feasible etc. and this is as a compromise which preserves automotive-dependent detached single family subdivisions

This is an example of a tear down and rebuild. Suburbs already exist. To change to a different design is to tear down what exists today and replace it with something else. To only switch over new construction still leaves huge rear end parts of the inner ring burbs unchanged.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

dex_sda posted:

This is the derail that started this whole thread but look up "traffic waves", in some cases they are totally unavoidable but are in many cases a result of the way human drivers stack up on stopped or slower moving traffic (getting closer to the car ahead of you if it's slower and farther if it's faster, pulling right up to stopped cars) instead of staying equidistant. Even putting a few car lengths between stopped cars would cure many traffic jams but people refuse to drive like that. They always have and always will pull right up to the stopped car and then when they start moving again they have to pause longer before they can start moving to give the car in front of them more distance instead of stopping with more distance already there.

Traffic engineers have known about this forever but there is no way to make people do it because it only has negative effects when you are talking tens of cars, but self driving cars could do it and even some of the cars in a traffic jam doing it makes the traffic jam less slow to unjam.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 19, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

Good point you haven't contributed much of anything. Most of what you've done in this thread is jack yourself off over how bad cars are and how "toxic" suburbs are.

Autonomous Cars: Auto-Erotic Urbanism

DART took ~35 years of planning and construction for <1% of Traffic in Dallas. If you're considering that a success Autonomous cars will probably behalf way there in a couple of years.

Mass Transit and great and important, but it isn't a full solution unless we're talking about some sort of FULL COMMUNISM NOW thing where people are forcibly relocated into brand new urban areas.The reason why mass transit sucks in most American cities is because we don't have the density. Trying to say that Mass Transit is the way is implying that you're going to dramatically increase the density of American cities. Which means you're talking about changing entire counties and metropolitan areas.

You can dangle carrots and do it area by area, but we're talking about decades of work. Even as someone who is skeptical about autonomous cars I think the timeline for them is much faster than a timeline for redesigning every metropolitan area.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense to use new technology to increase our existing roadways and supplement with mass transit where we can. Much like what we're doing now. If autonomous cars deliver and let us get by with less capacity on the roadways then by all means lets start increasing funding for mass transit.

this is like 500 words of you projecting madly in response to the statement "suburbs have problems"

please calm down

Xae posted:

This is an example of a tear down and rebuild. Suburbs already exist. To change to a different design is to tear down what exists today and replace it with something else. To only switch over new construction still leaves huge rear end parts of the inner ring burbs unchanged.

uh infill and site development is a thing. i dunno what your weird hangup is that you imagine bulldozing square miles of extant urban development as the solution people are actually proposing but i'm just going to assume that you're either full of poo poo or have some super weird grudge because of a conversation you had previously that didnt turn out like you wanted. or like you think reality works like sim city where changing zoning scrapes the land clean or something lol because you're uh way off the mark here

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
like seriously dude you can densify suburbs on a lot by lot basis using purely market incentive mechanisms. no idea where you're getting this wild scorched earth idea from but i suspect it's your ineloquent stuffed butthole

vvv i'm already dealing with one guy who can't read, apparently, i dont need two thanks. please dont quote me

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 19, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

like seriously dude you can densify suburbs on a lot by lot basis using purely market incentive mechanisms. no idea where you're getting this wild scorched earth idea from but i suspect it's your ineloquent stuffed butthole

Like everyone will pile up and live in the houses that exist now or you meant hey will tear down the houses and build totally different houses?

Is your plan everyone share bedrooms or they build different bedrooms?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like everyone will pile up and live in the houses that exist now or you meant hey will tear down the houses and build totally different houses?

Is your plan everyone share bedrooms or they build different bedrooms?

Even if he waves a magic "densifier" wand the existing streets, water, electric and sewer would probably need to be redone to handle the additional capacity.

And without a magic wand there just isn't enough room in most burbs to throw in a house or two between existing ones.

He doesn't have a plan because he is literally too stupid to realize that there are houses already there with people living in them.

I would love to see the "market incentive solutions" he is thinking of that would get people to hand over 1/3rd of their lot so they can "infill" some density

Hes either operating on a timeline of the next century or so or just delusional.

Xae fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 19, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

Even if he waves a magic "densifier" wand the existing streets, water, electric and sewer would probably need to be redone to handle the additional capacity.

And without a magic wand there just isn't enough room in most burbs to throw in a house or two between existing ones.

He doesn't have a plan because he is literally too stupid to realize that there are houses already there with people living in them.

I would love to see the "market based solution" he is thinking of that would get people to hand over 1/3rd of their so they can "infil" some density

Hes either operating on a timeline of the next century or so or just delusional.

lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infill

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=infill+development+pictures

sorry dude but you are both aggressively stupid AND you don't know what you're talking about lmao

there are dozens of people studying and practicing suburban redevelopment, retrofit, recycling, infill or whatever you want to call it but i'm sure they're all also delusional compared to xae, sa forums poster who has a hard time reading and remaining calm

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infill

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=infill+development+pictures

sorry dude but you are both aggressively stupid AND you don't know what you're talking about lmao

there are dozens of people studying and practicing suburban redevelopment, retrofit, recycling, infill or whatever you want to call it but i'm sure they're all also delusional compared to xae, sa forums poster who has a hard time reading and remaining calm

So like is the government going to seize everyone's land and force infill so that they can build your dream train system or are we just going to ask everyone everywhere in the whole country to just volunteer to do it or what? Whats the time scale on this project? When is it announced to start?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol at oocc being genuinely unaware that people can sell their homes to developers who redevelop the land, for a profit, as a natural market activity

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
BEHOLD! the grim totalitarian future

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

lol at oocc being genuinely unaware that people can sell their homes to developers who redevelop the land, for a profit, as a natural market activity

Yes, infrastructure problems are super easy to solve if everyone would just sell all their houses and we could just wipe it all out and start from scratch.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, infrastructure problems are super easy to solve if everyone would just sell all their houses and we could just wipe it all out and start from scratch.

please find anyone who said that itt or stop reposting it over and over in an ever more embarassing way. its only a four page thread man shouldn't take long

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some wise words from the King of the Internet

The right on a green right to the immediately adjacent lane upsets me for some reason.

Basically an advantage of AV's would be that they could in theory sync with each other and with human cars with some simple software/hardware upgrades/sensors to try to keep coordinated with the end goal being 100% AV's.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

please find anyone who said that itt or stop reposting it over and over in an ever more embarassing way. its only a four page thread man shouldn't take long

You keep proposing these giant restructurings of society and then hand waving how they would happen. You keep saying things like " you can densify suburbs on a lot by lot basis using purely market incentive mechanisms" but without defining who the "you" is or why any of the people that would have power to implement those things would do so or why the population would go along with it or any announcements that these are things that are going to happen in the real world and aren't just dreams you had of stuff maybe someone COULD do.

Like yeah, if society collectively set up incentives for everyone to sell their land and then developers who had all collectively decided on a vision of maximizing density in suburbs infilled the land then maybe the government could maybe then build train stations to that land. But that is just jerking off, this is all just stuff that vaguely "could" happen. somehow.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

Basically an advantage of AV's would be that they could in theory sync with each other and with human cars with some simple software/hardware upgrades/sensors to try to keep coordinated with the end goal being 100% AV's.

in traffic planning there's this thing called triple convergence. basically because of congestion, people avoid taking certain routes to save time or annoyance. they either take a different route, use a different method of travel, or take the route at a different time. all this adds up to latent demand - people who would take a trip along a route by a certain method of travel at a certain time, but don't because it's too crowded. if you increase the efficiency of a transportation network, you'll unlock that latent demand and potentially just cause congestion again on the same routes.

also there's the physical limitation of cars themselves. being metal boxes on wheels driving on flat surfaces all subject to certain physical thresholds, cars can only move so many people per hour. maybe automated cars in the quasi-distant future all self-coordinating for efficiency's sake can squeeze another 20-50% of capacity onto the roads. but on the other hand you've got latent demand, actual demand in terms of population growth, etc.

it's generally not considered possible to actively eliminate congestion over the long term within the boundaries of a certain method of travel, or mode. like if a highway is consistently congested, you can expand the highway maybe, introduce carpools, introduce variable toll lanes or toll schemes, even self driving cars - all of this is just short term ways to cut back congestion, before the road fills up again. really the only permanent ways to reduce congestion are to introduce alternate modes (mass transit etc.), change origin/destination pairs, reduce trips being generated, or suffer an economic collapse which causes job loss and depopulation

also 100% automated vehicle use is decades away. the average age of a car on the road on america is 11 years, so you're looking at 11 years for car ownership to gradually shift over to where most people have self drivers + however long it takes for most people to buy a self driver new (my guess is 10-15 years) + however long it takes for manufacturers to coordinate on a common system for self drivers to swarm (couple decades)

none of this is to say that what ccp grey was talking about is unfeasible or impractical, but it's not doable on any useful timeframe and most likely won't solve any problems except just making traffic flow more efficient. like the answer to "there are too many cars on the road" is not "let's network them all together using the cloud so we can cram even more cars on the road"

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 19, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

in traffic planning there's this thing called triple convergence. basically because of congestion, people avoid taking certain routes to save time or annoyance. they either take a different route, use a different method of travel, or take the route at a different time. all this adds up to latent demand - people who would take a trip along a route by a certain method of travel at a certain time, but don't because it's too crowded. if you increase the efficiency of a transportation network, you'll unlock that latent demand and potentially just cause congestion again on the same routes.

The idea of triple convergence is that you increase throughput but that doesn't decrease 'congestion", a bigger highway will carry more people but still have everyone driving exactly as slow. But it'll now be twice as many people driving slow. You still have more people getting to their destination in a unit of time, but at the same slow speed. It's an absolute net gain in throughput for the population but the individuals travel at the same rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

evilweasel posted:

I doubt it. That kind of litigation would be very expensive and you'd have to take it to a jury verdict every time, and would still be likely to lose even if you were not at fault because you're asking the jury to believe your expert who interpreted the computer code over their inherent bias that a machine is not as reliable as a person (this is not a "juries are dumb" thing, people have this bias in all sorts of places even when the machine demonstrates conclusively that it's better overall), and it only takes a handful of jury verdicts before your public reputation is trashed and people don't trust your car.

It would be, legally speaking, an insanely dumb idea to mod your self-driving car in any way that might possibly affect its driving. That said, it is not hard to check to make sure that the code hasn't been tampered with and I'm sure they'll be blocking third-party code as much as possible.

I brought this up in the previous thread, but what happens if manufacturers end up treating these cars like Android phones where they require updates even after release, but after a year or two stop supporting development? Or maybe the manufacturer goes out of business and there's a massive security issue that comes up, what then?

Also, how do we ensure that these vehicles aren't going to be hacked, taken over or otherwise hosed with by Donald Trump's 400 lb friend? Especially when we start talking about cars talking to each other?

• Locked thread