Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I'm just trying to figure out which side of the genre I want to go with. There aren't a lot of organized crime anime (although the ones out there tend to be very good.)

otoh there are probably more rpgs centered on organized crime than on police stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

Chihayafuru is also totally a sports anime, but you know, with a card game based around classical poetry. It's got friendship and poo poo all up in it like a sports anime should.

Chihayafuru is good poo poo, but I don't think I personally could capture what makes it so good in the form of an RPG. On the other hand, after googling a bunch of the less mainstream sports I think I found something to build around. Depends a lot on 'the twist' though.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

A ghost comes out of your gaming machine.

"It's Cyberpunk and/or Transhumanism" it says.

Hooray, I'm officially in! I haven't seen much in this style beyond Ghost in the Shell though, I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

Hooray, I'm officially in! I haven't seen much in this style beyond Ghost in the Shell though, I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Akira and Battle Angel Alita for older ones, Terra Formars, Ergo Proxy and Ninja Slayer for newer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't actually watch Terra Formars though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't actually watch Terra Formars though.

Stick to the Manga for that one!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mr. Fowl posted:

Try Misapporpriations Investigator Rintaro Nakabo. It's a manga by the artist of Fist of the North Star. Imagine if a guy built like Kenshiro were empowered by Bill Clinton to fix the Japanese economy after the bubble burst.

Of course, our esteemed OP may also be referring to the variety of anime and manga themed around workplaces.

Plutonis posted:

Try Investor Z?
Thanks for these suggestions. If anyone else has some examples of business anime/manga, I'd appreciate learning about them.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Thanks for these suggestions. If anyone else has some examples of business anime/manga, I'd appreciate learning about them.

While it is a manga, this could help: Project X Cup Noodle

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

:allears:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Agent Rush posted:

Did you watch Stand Alone Complex or one of the movies, or all of it? If you haven't watched SAC, I'd recommend watching some Stand Alone episodes (the first season is divided into Stand Alone eps, which can be watched with little context, and Complex eps which are the season long plot. If you don't have time for 12-ish hours of anime, watch some of one or all of the other).

Another recommendation is the first season of Psycho-Pass, a dark post-cyberpunk future where cops control crime by monitoring people's "Crime-coefficient" on their eponymous Psycho Pass, a score determined by a vast machine which monitors every aspect of daily life, the Sibyl system. Just a warning, it features some of the more gruesome kills in modern anime, and the second season is even worse.

Cyberpunk aesthetics are pretty popular in anime, but cyberpunk themes can be sparse on the ground. You'd almost be better off just reading Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy, watching the first GitS movie, and then building up from what are essentially first principles.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Plutonis posted:

Akira and Battle Angel Alita for older ones, Terra Formars, Ergo Proxy and Ninja Slayer for newer.

Kwyndig posted:

Did you watch Stand Alone Complex or one of the movies, or all of it? If you haven't watched SAC, I'd recommend watching some Stand Alone episodes (the first season is divided into Stand Alone eps, which can be watched with little context, and Complex eps which are the season long plot. If you don't have time for 12-ish hours of anime, watch some of one or all of the other).

Another recommendation is the first season of Psycho-Pass, a dark post-cyberpunk future where cops control crime by monitoring people's "Crime-coefficient" on their eponymous Psycho Pass, a score determined by a vast machine which monitors every aspect of daily life, the Sibyl system. Just a warning, it features some of the more gruesome kills in modern anime, and the second season is even worse.

Cyberpunk aesthetics are pretty popular in anime, but cyberpunk themes can be sparse on the ground. You'd almost be better off just reading Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy, watching the first GitS movie, and then building up from what are essentially first principles.

I've seen the first season of Stand Alone Complex, but never the first movie oddly enough. If I can find the books and the movie I might just take up your suggestion to try and work from the progenitors.

On a related note, when is the deadline for requesting to open the mystery box? Is it the same as the modifier release?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Agent Rush posted:

If I can find the books and the movie I might just take up your suggestion to try and work from the progenitors.

Tbh if you're going back to Gibsonian first principles. Anything you really need is just in Neuromancer. The other two books are just refining and expanding on Neuromancer's foundation.

Also Neuromancer is a v quick read wrt this contest and how short february is.

E: all the books are good though and you should read them just to read them.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're just reading Neuromancer, you're not going to end up with anything very anime. The entire point of the contest is to make an anime RPG; an anime cyberpunk RPG should be like anime, i.e. with cyberpunk aesthetics and not necessarily copying Gibson.

You probably want to check out Dennou Coil, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed, Battle Angel Alita, Cyber City Oedo 808, Ergo Proxy, Real Dive, Texhnolyze, and Serial Experiments Lain, in addition to watching both GitS films and SAC s02.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 22, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kwyndig posted:

I'm glad that I got horror instead of Cyberpunk, because while I'm probably going to be using a lot of Cyberpunk aesthetics(as it's one of my favorites), I don't have to worry about using its themes, which honestly in my opinion don't mesh very well with interactive fiction very well(since powerlessness is one of the big Cyberpunk themes and that doesn't work at all for either RPG's or videogames), and rarely make for good fiction in general(that same thing about powerlessness and futility in doing anything generally sucks any satisfaction or enjoyment out of any "accurate" Cyberpunk fiction and just leaves it a depressing mess)

Also since Cyberpunk anime is almost exclusively only Cyberpunk on the surface I'd say don't worry about matching with the genre's western definition

And lastly Psycho Pass is a terrible disgusting mess, not sure why you'd recommend it to anyone

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Research trip report after the first two episodes of Ore Monogatari: I'm gonna fuckin' cry this anime is too pure.

And I'm already getting ideas drawing from this and general high school romance tropes. I've even got a tentative name.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

drrockso20 posted:

I'm glad that I got horror instead of Cyberpunk, because while I'm probably going to be using a lot of Cyberpunk aesthetics(as it's one of my favorites), I don't have to worry about using its themes, which honestly in my opinion don't mesh very well with interactive fiction very well(since powerlessness is one of the big Cyberpunk themes and that doesn't work at all for either RPG's or videogames), and rarely make for good fiction in general(that same thing about powerlessness and futility in doing anything generally sucks any satisfaction or enjoyment out of any "accurate" Cyberpunk fiction and just leaves it a depressing mess)

Also since Cyberpunk anime is almost exclusively only Cyberpunk on the surface I'd say don't worry about matching with the genre's western definition

And lastly Psycho Pass is a terrible disgusting mess, not sure why you'd recommend it to anyone

That's actually an important question, thanks for bringing it up! TheSoundNinja, do I need to match the themes of cyberpunk or the themes of cyberpunk anime?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In fact, here are some TV shows for every genre:

Shounen: Dragon Ball/Z, Saint Seiya, One Piece, Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Romance: Ore Monogatari, Akatsuki no Yona, ReLIFE, Snow White with the Red Hair, Princess Jellyfish, Kimi no Todoke, Nana, Toradora

Giant Robot: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster/Diebuster, Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still, Shin Mazinger Impact Z!, GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Tetsujin 28-go, The Big O

High "Seas" Adventure: Space Dandy, Kino's Journey, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Outlaw Star

Slice of Life: K-On!, Flying Witch, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, Sound! Euphonium s01, Nichijou

Magical Girl: Go! Princess Precure, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Symphogear, Flip Flappers, Madoka Magica

Business: Shirobako, Spice and Wolf, Girlish Number, Working!!/Wagnaria!!, Servant x Service, Dai-Guard

War/Real Robot: Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS, Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, VOTOMS, Fang of the Sun Dougram

Horror: Serial Experiments Lain, Shin Sekai Yori, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Mononoke, Another, Ghost Hound, Shiki, Higurashi: When They Cry

Sports: Captain Tsubasa, Eyeshield 21, Haikyuu, Chihayafuru, Yuri on Ice, Gundam Build Fighters, Hajime no Ippo, Ping Pong: the Animation, Prince of Tennis, Initial D, Major

Sci-Fi: Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, Time of Eve, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and a large number of shows already in other categories on this list

Isekai/Fish out of Water: Visions of Escaflowne, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, KonoSuba, Log Horizon s01, Gabriel Dropout, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, The Devil is a Part-Timer, Urusei Yatsura

Fantasy: Seirei no Moribito, Records of Lodoss War, Slayers, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Berserk (the 1997 OVA), Hitsugi no Chaika, Rage of Bahamut

Cyberpunk/Transhumanism: Dennou Coil, Bubblegum Crisis, Appleseed, Battle Angel Alita, Cyber City Oedo 808, Ergo Proxy, Real Dive

Sentai/Tokusatsu: Gatchaman Crowds, Re: Cutie Honey, any of the Super Sentai or Kamen Rider live action series

Post-Apocalyptic Punk: Fist of the North Star, Trigun

Mystery: Hyouka, Erased, Mushishi, Eden of the East, Steins;Gate, Monster, Rokka no Yuusha (but don't bother watching the last episode)

Period Piece: Rurouni Kenshin, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Katanagatari, Samurai Champloo, 91 Days

Police/Organized Crime: Baccano!, Patlabor, You're Under Arrest, Detective Conan, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Psycho-Pass

Many of these actually cover multiple genres, of course, so which genre they appear next to isn't exhaustive.

Also, this is just TV shows, not films or manga.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 23, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

make a tabletop game based on mushiuta

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

That's actually an important question, thanks for bringing it up! TheSoundNinja, do I need to match the themes of cyberpunk or the themes of cyberpunk anime?

A part of the reason to include Transhumanism was to try and offset that. The anime's themes would be more important.

The exploration of "What is human?" in the Ghost in the Shell movies and S.A.C. could be a good place to start.

Also, consider the good ol' Ultraviolence in a world that is past our modern day - where new tools have been created, and the value of life is lessened. Or the overcomplication of branding and product placement, such as in Tiger and Bunny (while it isn't fully "cyberpunk", that is a cyberpunk element of it).

Using the genre well should enable players to discuss those themes after playing a story or session of your game. Does that help? The mystery box is still available.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
This consensus that anime only treats cyberpunk as an aesthetic is pretty silly, I have to say. The only way to make it stand up is to make the definition so narrow that only a handful of works in any medium meet it.

To start with there's plenty of shows - Akira, GUNM, and Texhnolyze to name just a few - that stick close the original formula, with a corrupt society obsessed with technology and protagonists as outsiders or disconnected from the social order. Then you have shows that hone in on one or two specific themes - LAIN with social alienation and transhumanism, for example.

I''ll agree that the bulk of the shows beyond those tend to be post-cyberpunk, in the sense that the protagonists are embedded in the social order. But you still have many of the same themes, just in different context. It's certainly not just "an aesthetic" in something like Ghost in the Shell; pretty much the same themes examined with another perspective. Besides which a lot of the best works outside of anime are post-cyberpunk in exactly the same ways.

Reading Neuromancer (and/or Gibson's short stories) is still a great idea. But ignoring everything else isn't.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 23, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Another good one to recommend for Horror is Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories

Also there's a theme that occasionally pops up in Japanese horror that will be one of the main ones I'll be exploring, the horrors that can come from having power rather than lacking in it

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

A part of the reason to include Transhumanism was to try and offset that. The anime's themes would be more important.

The exploration of "What is human?" in the Ghost in the Shell movies and S.A.C. could be a good place to start.

Also, consider the good ol' Ultraviolence in a world that is past our modern day - where new tools have been created, and the value of life is lessened. Or the overcomplication of branding and product placement, such as in Tiger and Bunny (while it isn't fully "cyberpunk", that is a cyberpunk element of it).

Using the genre well should enable players to discuss those themes after playing a story or session of your game. Does that help? The mystery box is still available.

It does, thank you. I would still like to know when the Mystery Box closes for good though, either way I'll probably end up with a lot to watch this coming week.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This consensus that anime only treats cyberpunk as an aesthetic is pretty silly, I have to say. The only way to make it stand up is to make the definition so narrow that only a handful of works in any medium meet it.

To start with there's plenty of shows - Akira, GUNM, and Texhnolyze to name just a few - that stick close the original formula, with a corrupt society obsessed with technology and protagonists as outsiders or disconnected from the social order. Then you have shows that hone in on one or two specific themes - LAIN with social alienation and transhumanism, for example.

I''ll agree that the bulk of the shows beyond those tend to be post-cyberpunk, in the sense that the protagonists are embedded in the social order. But you still have many of the same themes, just in different context. It's certainly not just "an aesthetic" in something like Ghost in the Shell; pretty much the same themes examined with another perspective. Besides which a lot of the best works outside of anime are post-cyberpunk in exactly the same ways.

Reading Neuromancer (and/or Gibson's short stories) is still a great idea. But ignoring everything else isn't.

Thanks for these suggestions as well! When you mention GUNM, is that a different name for Battle Angle Alita or a different series?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Agent Rush posted:

It does, thank you. I would still like to know when the Mystery Box closes for good though, either way I'll probably end up with a lot to watch this coming week.

Thanks for these suggestions as well! When you mention GUNM, is that a different name for Battle Angle Alita or a different series?

Gunnm is the same, baa is just the english name

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheSoundNinja posted:

An important part of the cyberpunk in anime is philosophizing about transhumanism--which I will endeavor to make a mechanic in my game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, I have Space Adventure Cobra and Space Pirate Harlock to watch, but I figure I should drop a line if there's any other good references for old sci-fi anime based around an ridiculously competent marquee hero. How's that for ridiculously specific? Well, two out of three would be fine, too.

Mr. Fowl posted:

An important part of the cyberpunk in anime is philosophizing about transhumanism--which I will endeavor to make a mechanic in my game.

Yeah, one of the ideas I was considering under the sci-fi was Shirow: the Musing. Shoot bad terrorists and then talk about humanity's place in the world!... but I've got a different idea so far.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rewatching GTO, got a concept in mind but what's wracking me is how to implement mechanics because every "unique" idea I have for it looks like a huge loving pain.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Rewatching GTO, got a concept in mind but what's wracking me is how to implement mechanics because every "unique" idea I have for it looks like a huge loving pain.

Makes me glad I'm going to be using an OSR base for my rules, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to my mechanics(at least not completely)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All I have to do is make Monsterhearts happy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

What if Monsterhearts doesn't want to be happy?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

All I have to do is make Monsterhearts happy.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What if Monsterhearts doesn't want to be happy?

Yeah, good luck man. I hope you don't need therapy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Makes me glad I'm going to be using an OSR base for my rules, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to my mechanics(at least not completely)

I don't even know which system has decent tutoring/teaching for NPCs mechanics I can crib from. Maybe Ars Magica but its crunch is too dense.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm leaning towards a PbtA base myself, probably stealing Pigsmoke's "you get two playbooks and combine them" mechanic. Potatocubed, if you're reading this thread, I'm sorry for ripping off your larval game -- it's just a mechanic that's a really good fit for the genre, is all.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

I'm leaning towards a PbtA base myself, probably stealing Pigsmoke's "you get two playbooks and combine them" mechanic. Potatocubed, if you're reading this thread, I'm sorry for ripping off your larval game -- it's just a mechanic that's a really good fit for the genre, is all.

I agree that it is a really good fit. If I had been assigned giant robots I'd do something similar (probably not pbta though, I don't have a good enough grasp on some of the details to be making my own designs using it right now).

As for me... still no progress, but I'm leaning towards a more cops game lately. Although with my current state of mind, it would be next to impossible to actually have 'fun' playing any game focused around police that I build.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

As for me... still no progress, but I'm leaning towards a more cops game lately. Although with my current state of mind, it would be next to impossible to actually have 'fun' playing any game focused around police that I build.

I'm not TSN and have no final say on what the genres allow, but maybe it would be easier to work with cops in a fantasy/SF/otherwise reality-removed setting, to try to get away from modern topical issues if dealing with them is depressing/draining for you? Cop/crime anime isn't my specialty, but I'm sure there have to be some shows with cops in non-gritty settings that still follow the genre.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You could really adjust it to other similar roles, I think. Moderators in an MMO doesn't seem like a cop show, but... :ssh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

I agree that it is a really good fit. If I had been assigned giant robots I'd do something similar (probably not pbta though, I don't have a good enough grasp on some of the details to be making my own designs using it right now).

Could pull a Fillmore or Codename Kids Next Door for something more lighthearted(hell KND was anime as hell at times)

That or borrow from the various police themed Tokusatsu series like Dekaranger or Kamen Rider Drive

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Isn't there a cop Yuusha show, J-Decker? That might be worth looking into. (Disclaimer: I've never seen it, just heard of it, so it might be garbage.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kwyndig posted:

Funny enough I've been thinking of going Cops for my mystery solvers game too.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Error 404 posted:

Gunnm is the same, baa is just the english name
I only call it GUNM because it's faster to type to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I only call it by the english name because I can never remember if the N or the M comes first.

• Locked thread