Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think I'm better equipped on the anime side of things than the tradgame side, to be honest. I imagine anything I make will have a strong influence from Tenra Bansho, Double Edge and Gold Sky Stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mr. Maltose posted:

When the time to play test gets closer I'll open a Contest Discord channel in order to make organizing and contacting other people easier. Hell, I'll probably make it after work today.

I'll be in on this.

Also, I'm tentatively willing to run multiple playtests if we have a playtest gap come Week 4. I game on IRC and have a good community of people who are willing to try these sorts of experiments, so I believe I can manage more than one one-shot playtest.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I posted earlier but I think it was missed, I need a genre.

Also some real good taste in anime in this thread.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I posted earlier but I think it was missed, I need a genre.

Also some real good taste in anime in this thread.

My apologies, but I'm glad to tell you that we love your Business plan! You got the funding!

Also, how the gently caress did your post slip by me? drat. The only way to make up for this is to add an additional week for playtesting, pushing back the deadline for playtest reports to Sunday March 5th by 11:59p CST, which pushes back the overall deadline for final submissions to Sunday March 12th by 11:59p CST.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
So Week 3 will be working on and submitting the rough draft, and Weeks 4 & 5 will be playtesting/revising?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'll be traveling from Feb 8 to 13 but I'll try my best to get poo poo done asap and leave those days free.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

So Week 3 will be working on and submitting the rough draft, and Weeks 4 & 5 will be playtesting/revising?

Yes, with the week after the deadline being your chance to add in your tweaks and submit your final draft. We've evolved from a "February only" contest to "February to some time through March" contest! Hooray!

Plutonis posted:

I'll be traveling from Feb 8 to 13 but I'll try my best to get poo poo done asap and leave those days free.

Okay. Remember, the goal with week 2 is to simply show you've made some effort, so you should be fine. On the plus side, you'll be back for the bigger deadline no problem!

EDIT: Also, now there are 32 participants at my last count. That's a lot of anime...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'll hopefully be able to get my rough draft in by the 19th. I'm moving on the 16th, which might gum things up a bit, but I'm counting on getting the blurb deadline in on the first day so I have an entire extra week to work.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Speaking of the blurb, is that 150 words in the OP an exact amount, a minimum, a maximum? Or some other thing I didn't explicitly name?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Agent Rush posted:

Speaking of the blurb, is that 150 words in the OP an exact amount, a minimum, a maximum? Or some other thing I didn't explicitly name?

Both. This competition demands precision.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Both. This competition demands precision.

Yup. Take it from me, you will have extremely limited space on the backs of boxes and books for information like that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For high 'seas' adventure,
Thats pretty wide, imo.
I guess Space Dandy counts as that, so does secret of the blue water, space battleship yamato, sengoku in space Thunder Jet...and about a billion more (i was going to mention LotGH but eh)

What my question is:
Is the required tone to be entirely naval, ala Yamato, or Anime with very heavy sea elements ala Nadia.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats pretty wide, imo.
I guess Space Dandy counts as that, so does secret of the blue water, space battleship yamato, sengoku in space Thunder Jet...and about a billion more (i was going to mention LotGH but eh)

What my question is:
Is the required tone to be entirely naval, ala Yamato, or Anime with very heavy sea elements ala Nadia.

The reason for the quotation marks was to keep it open for you. Naval isn't required, but neither are sea elements. The "Seas" is more a vastness to be adventured in and through, with oasis-like spots of people spaced between. Does that make sense?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats pretty wide, imo.

What my question is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

True Fact: I actually like that opening better than the Vic Magnanana version the Funimation dub of the first season used.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They were already running out of steam with Chopper's line, what would they have done for Robin+?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They were already running out of steam with Chopper's line, what would they have done for Robin+?

And then the rest of them, one of them's another girl?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Here's Franky, he'll be baaack (because he absolutely would have a bad Schwarzenegger voice)
Robin will give your spine a crack
And Brooooooooook!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My name is Bartolomeo and I'm here to say
For Captain Luffy I'm gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
ill try t o do this but will also fail at doing this.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

ill try t o do this but will also fail at doing this.

To confirm: You want to participate in the contest?

If so, suit up!: You've got Sentai / Tokusatsu

EDIT: Genre assigned! Best of luck Break some legs!

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 25, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna sign up, should get me into the writing groove before uni starts again in march

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Anybody interested in the unofficial Design Contest Discord can hop in here

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I'm gonna sign up, should get me into the writing groove before uni starts again in march

Well, I'm glad you have a love of education.

...the joke is you've got Romance.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Anybody interested in the unofficial Design Contest Discord can hop in here

Added it to the Participant list. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheSoundNinja posted:

The reason for the quotation marks was to keep it open for you. Naval isn't required, but neither are sea elements. The "Seas" is more a vastness to be adventured in and through, with oasis-like spots of people spaced between. Does that make sense?

That makes enough sense.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

TheSoundNinja posted:

To confirm: You want to participate in the contest?

If so, suit up!: You've got Sentai / Tokusatsu

EDIT: Genre assigned! Best of luck Break some legs!

actually im going to already drop out bc i have a lot to worry about right now but it sounds like a fun concept.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

actually im going to already drop out bc i have a lot to worry about right now but it sounds like a fun concept.

That's a shame, I had the :argh: all lined up for you getting my favorite genre!

Seriously though, I hope whatever it is works out for you.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
We can't swap genres with someone, right?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

We can't swap genres with someone, right?

If the one you got doesn't satisfy, you can take Food and / or Cooking.

...but you'll be needing to write a fanfic during your research to switch over. Just 150 words, about a Food and / or Cooking anime, and the genres switch is yours.

Sorry to hear that man. My fiancé is in a similar spot by the sound of it, so I hope things get easier for you.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

All in all, this is pretty exciting. I can't wait to see what the modifier is (and how it ruins some of the ideas I've already come up with)!

DeadReed
Feb 14, 2012
Throwing my chips into the contest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm kind of doubling down on the troupe of young, hot-blooded dream driven heroes face a great threat together through friendship, effort, and victory. I'm doubling down on the "narrow focus is the best for game design" and kind of keeping things to shows with similar setups like Naruto, One Piece, Hero Academia, and Bleach. Yeah, I know Bleach wasn't that great, but it is a good source for the kind of things I've decided to focus on. Trying to focus on a few things:
  • Ensure heroes and villains are within the themes of Shueshia battle comics
  • Give a feeling of power and progression
  • Keep it simple because this is a contest and I only got a month
  • Enforce the narrative rules of the genre
  • Enforce the arc structure of these kinds of stories

My main worry is that the core mechanic's formula might be a pain and that my choice of dice pools might gently caress me from a math standpoint. Like, while the "Generals get the same Power Level as the number of Arcs completed and Big Bads get that number +1 as their Power Level" should equal out with "Power Level goes up for every character per arc completed" but it gets weird in extreme.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wondering how possible it would be to have players create a manga as they go by drawing low-quality cartoons as their action. It's a good flavor thing but doesn't have mechanical hooks and might slow down play.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

I'm kind of doubling down on the troupe of young, hot-blooded dream driven heroes face a great threat together through friendship, effort, and victory. I'm doubling down on the "narrow focus is the best for game design" and kind of keeping things to shows with similar setups like Naruto, One Piece, Hero Academia, and Bleach. Yeah, I know Bleach wasn't that great, but it is a good source for the kind of things I've decided to focus on. Trying to focus on a few things:
  • Ensure heroes and villains are within the themes of Shueshia battle comics
  • Give a feeling of power and progression
  • Keep it simple because this is a contest and I only got a month
  • Enforce the narrative rules of the genre
  • Enforce the arc structure of these kinds of stories

My main worry is that the core mechanic's formula might be a pain and that my choice of dice pools might gently caress me from a math standpoint. Like, while the "Generals get the same Power Level as the number of Arcs completed and Big Bads get that number +1 as their Power Level" should equal out with "Power Level goes up for every character per arc completed" but it gets weird in extreme.

Perhaps have a mechanic for increasing the difficulty of the subsequent arcs based on the weird power antics of the PCs? I like the concept, the challenge is how to rope in "Shonen Power Creep" to actually be a mechanic...

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Wondering how possible it would be to have players create a manga as they go by drawing low-quality cartoons as their action. It's a good flavor thing but doesn't have mechanical hooks and might slow down play.

Do eeeeeet. I can't not love that idea.

DeadReed posted:

Throwing my chips into the contest.

Ah, sliding through the passageway right before the wall comes down, eh Dr. DeadReed? Trying to send the idol of War / Real Robot to a museum?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

The Cut-Off for new entries is now! If you still want to enter, that's fine - but you'll be using a Late Pass to do it.

The modifier for this contest is to account for one aspect of anime that the genre's don't cover: the producers! You'll be dealing with a restriction from "on high" that you'll need to factor into your games in some way.

So, say hello to the introduction for 4Kids' dub of Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRwJvOm395E

This series was a spin-off sequel to Kinnikuman: an anime and manga series about the adventures of a wrestler who is the father of Ultimate Muscle's protagonist.

But as far as the United States was concerned, Ultimate Muscle was it - there was nothing before it, and nothing after it. Effectively, it was a stand-alone sequel series.

All of your games must be a "Sequel Series" of some sort.

What does that look like? It's up to you. Whether through the story or the mechanics, the legacy or impact of something in the past has to have an impact in the present that the characters have to deal with.

So, get creating. Feel free to chat either here or in the chat thread to come up with ideas to involve the modifier with the genre you were assigned.

EDIT: Added the explanation on the modifier. Feel free to ask any questions you have on it.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 28, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Do it normally or OSRmance... the big question.

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014
Ooh me, me, if it's not too late that is.

I'll late pass the hell out of this.

Sir Mopalot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 28, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, that's a toughie, but I think I can manage it by having the teacher/faculty of the PCs' class be graduates of the school who found love in the last series and imparting their wooing advice.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Sir Mopalot posted:

Ooh me, me, if it's not too late that is.

I'll late pass the hell out of this.

Late Pass you shall! You've been assigned: Magical Girl and the game you make must involve the modifier: Sequel Series.

Just turn in your 150 word ad blurb and a 150 word fanfic about magical girl anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Is there a chance I can get a late pass for this?

• Locked thread