Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The hell with it, I'm angry and raring to go, sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ettin posted:

Sign me up anyway :getin:

Not to mention the fact that you submitted Breakfast Cult to a previous contest....

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aw man, this is, actually good. I get to binge watch Case Closed, and Kaito, and Lupin. Hell, even Cowboy Bebop has a bunch of police or organized crime episodes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

remusclaw posted:

So Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagaan. Anything else I should look at for the Giant Robot genre? I assume stuff like Gundam is more Real Robot, no?

Most Gundam is real, yes. G Gundam is super, but for shows on CR I'd recommend Captain Earth, Beast King GoLion, and the Mazinkaiser movie.

That said the list above me (aside from Godannar) is a really good list.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If somebody manages to make an RPG as chill as Mushi-shi I would never play anything else.

Golden Sky Stories comes really close but isn't quite there.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brother Entropy posted:

i think the closest i got to police/crime anime was half-watching a couple gits episodes on adult swim a decade ago so at the very least this contest will give me an excuse to edify my anime self

watch shin mazinger and join the rest of us in despairing that it didn't get a sequel

GITS:SAC is super good and you should watch it. It also has some really great music.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Another good example of the genre which is on Crunchyroll is Cardcaptor Sakura. If you have the new Amazon channel Strike you can also watch the various Nanoha series, which are magical girl shows rife with mecha references.

Edit: and Plutonis with an actually good suggestion. If you're going to watch more than one magical girl show, one of those should be Princess Tutu.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 20, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Error 404 posted:

Thank you I will check these out!

Monster is really good, once it gets its hooks into you the show will take over your head until the end.

Fowl is right though, unless you've got some serious binging time before the deadline it might be too long to watch all of for research.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 20, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr. Fowl posted:

Ahaha, this is essentially the opposite of the Fantasy Anime RPG problem--the seminal works of the genre defined our RPGs! This will be interesting--I'll have to find an angle with a unique voice. Well, one that's doable. I don't think I can turn something in the vein of Qualia of Purple into an RPG.

You could start with Shirow's latest... I can't in good conscience finish that sentence after having sat through it myself.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend Zyuranger for a newcomer to sentai -- it's a really good "pure" sentai series, and some of the newer series can get really cluttered. (To be fair, even the older series can be pretty cluttered; Dairanger, the series that followed Zyuranger, is a hot mess of weird half-finished plots.) Carranger is also great, although maybe less of a beginner series, because it's pretty goofy and has elements of parody.

(yes, yes, I know, nerd trap sprung)

Honestly, they should just track down Japanese Spider-Man, the genre has only gone downhill since then :v:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm just trying to figure out which side of the genre I want to go with. There aren't a lot of organized crime anime (although the ones out there tend to be very good.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr.Misfit posted:

Heck, I´m still fishing in the pond which period I want to settle the game concept in!
And how big the swords are supposed to be in a Period Piece anime. (And yes, that question counts for WW2 as well)

As big as their dreams, my friend, as big as dreams.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheSoundNinja posted:

I would recommend specializing, as that will probably be easier for you. Perhaps a sport underrepresented by the anime industry?

Going by there being more than one show or one really popular show...

Well that rules out Football (both kinds), cycling, basketball, baseball, table tennis, regular tennis, figure skating, competitive swimming, boxing, volleyball, martial arts, and probably at least one other sport I've overlooked.

edit: Comedy option, just make up a sport, like Keijo!!! (gently caress if I'm typing out all those exclamation points) did.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No joke I would watch a curling anime if they did the actual sport part over the top and the rest of the show was really good character interactions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There have been several airsoft anime. Over there it's more popular than paintball is.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Agent Rush posted:

Hooray, I'm officially in! I haven't seen much in this style beyond Ghost in the Shell though, I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Did you watch Stand Alone Complex or one of the movies, or all of it? If you haven't watched SAC, I'd recommend watching some Stand Alone episodes (the first season is divided into Stand Alone eps, which can be watched with little context, and Complex eps which are the season long plot. If you don't have time for 12-ish hours of anime, watch some of one or all of the other).

Another recommendation is the first season of Psycho-Pass, a dark post-cyberpunk future where cops control crime by monitoring people's "Crime-coefficient" on their eponymous Psycho Pass, a score determined by a vast machine which monitors every aspect of daily life, the Sibyl system. Just a warning, it features some of the more gruesome kills in modern anime, and the second season is even worse.

Cyberpunk aesthetics are pretty popular in anime, but cyberpunk themes can be sparse on the ground. You'd almost be better off just reading Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy, watching the first GitS movie, and then building up from what are essentially first principles.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Waffleman_ posted:

All I have to do is make Monsterhearts happy.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What if Monsterhearts doesn't want to be happy?

Yeah, good luck man. I hope you don't need therapy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Antivehicular posted:

I'm leaning towards a PbtA base myself, probably stealing Pigsmoke's "you get two playbooks and combine them" mechanic. Potatocubed, if you're reading this thread, I'm sorry for ripping off your larval game -- it's just a mechanic that's a really good fit for the genre, is all.

I agree that it is a really good fit. If I had been assigned giant robots I'd do something similar (probably not pbta though, I don't have a good enough grasp on some of the details to be making my own designs using it right now).

As for me... still no progress, but I'm leaning towards a more cops game lately. Although with my current state of mind, it would be next to impossible to actually have 'fun' playing any game focused around police that I build.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I only call it by the english name because I can never remember if the N or the M comes first.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Actually, to hell with it.

GIMME WHAT'S IN THE BOX

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheSoundNinja posted:

ARE YOU SURE?
[X] YES
[ ] NO

Monty, tell us what's in the box!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cooking? Now that I can get behind.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I need something to do this february is looking to be absolutely eventless.

i dehumanize myself and face to nosebloodshed
Though due to certain circumstances and locales I cannot fulfill playtesting requirements.

For mystery boxers:
23 key reading materials:
1. Yakitake Japan
2. Toriko.
3. That one panel of a turkey in hunterxhunter.

Else if youre not going to recognize the ridiculousness of the premise:
The Drops of god

It's funny, Yakitake Japan and Toriko have been on my lists for a while. Now I have an excuse to bump them up the line.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

demota posted:

I think I've decided on the theme for my Period Piece subject. Its' the 1970s, and it's the height of the Banchou Era.

What do I read/watch? I know manga/anime with delinquent characters, but the only one I know that's focused completely on them is Cromartie High School.

You already know what to do. There are other banchou manga out there but I can't say whether any of them are any good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DDS definitely deals with Transhuman themes, along with, you know, violent demons eating each other.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For high 'seas' adventure,
Thats pretty wide, imo.
I guess Space Dandy counts as that, so does secret of the blue water, space battleship yamato, sengoku in space Thunder Jet...and about a billion more (i was going to mention LotGH but eh)

What my question is:
Is the required tone to be entirely naval, ala Yamato, or Anime with very heavy sea elements ala Nadia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sir Mopalot posted:

I'm looking at one that has no open license of any sort.

Well you can't copyright mechanics. You can trademark and copyright specific terms, but not mechanics. Basically what this means is to be completely in the clear you'd have to rewrite all the stuff so you're not directly plagiarizing the game text.

This only matters if you're trying to make a real game out of it, usually fanworks aren't pursued because the money involved is nonexistent in the RPG industry.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheSoundNinja posted:

Exactly that many words.

Does the concept sound like something in an anime? I've never seen Generator Rex, but is it anything like Generator Gawl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mjFGym-xI

Generator Rex was a show about a guy who could transform parts of his body to fight monsters. It was Canadian, I think? Either that or Cartoon Network Studios..

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm still working on my blurb, don't have anything finalized yet but there's going to be some overlap with other genres. The basic idea I have right now is that one man climbed to the very heights of culinary perfection, and it drove him mad. Now flavor itself is outlawed and your rag tag band of chefs must spread The Joy of Cooking (working title).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Davin Valkri posted:

Here we are. How is this?

Gendai no Kami -- Blessings of Today (A Hack of Golden Sky Stories?)

Once humans prayed for strong sword arms, powerful magics, protection from things that would destroy them. You walked among them, granting your boons, thriving on the act of giving and the thanks returned.

You are divine beings, after all.

But the world has changed, and people don’t beg for succor as they once did. They seek...smaller things now, and offer their sacrifices to vast urban infrastructural phenomena that you barely understand. But they seek these small victories with the same drive as they once slayed giants.

And you still thrive on giving. And you can learn.

Step into the shoes of gods made human. Try your best to understand these strange things humans have created. Aid them by using your powers to their fullest--just be aware of unintended consequences. Or learn to suppress your powers, and help them as they themselves would.

Small blessings are still beautiful, after all...

I like this, and I think GSS would be a good place to start. Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

K Prime posted:

Kowloon

Once, this town was a criminal cesspool.

A band of 5 police academy rookies swore an oath: they would cleanse the town of the corruption at its heart. At great personal cost, and the life of their leader, they did. Now, without their guiding heart, the surviving 4 have succumbed to the power they hold.

Now masked teams stalk the streets, dragging off petty criminals for reeducation. The people whisper their opinions in their own homes, glancing over their shoulders to check if a red-eyed boogeyman is watching through the window.

It is your time. Are you a fresh-faced academy graduate, looking to make a difference? A survivor of the criminal gangs, disgusted at what the city has become? The Society of Guan Yu organizes in secret, bridging between officer and 49er, collecting those with the power to change the city.

You can make a difference. But to what end?

Ooh, I also like this one! Sounds kind of toku meets HK action cop movies.

Don't forget your late pass stuff.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Thirty years ago, the world was united under the peaceful reign of the Pan-Ultimate Masters, the heads of the great Culinary Schools. One young man set out to master all of the Culinary Styles and become the Legendary Souper Chef. One by one he mastered the Schools, creating dishes that made the old Masters weep. When his journey was complete, he discovered there was one final technique, a forbidden one.

By learning Ultimate Flavor he did become the Legendary Souper Chef, but in the process it drove him mad. Now, flavor is outlawed and cooking is forbidden, only prepackaged Fud remains.

In secret, you have learned from one of the remaining Pan-Ultimate Masters in the arts of Fusion Cuisine, the only thing that can defeat Ultimate Flavor. Now you wander the land and return the Joy of Cooking to the people. Can you defeat the Legendary Souper Chef? Bon Appetit!

Details
Don't have any yet. It's probably going to be storygamey as hell though.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 31, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

God I forgot about that show. Also not really, if I don't think of one by the end of the contest we'll just go with Joy of Cooking.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jai-alai? That's actually a great choice for a low-G or microgravity sport. I'm not sure if it would be slower or faster paced in those conditions but it would still be a fun game to play.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phone posting but I'll tidy this post up later. Here's my entry.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

demota posted:

Gotta drop. Motherboard failure.

:(

Ouch, hopefully it's just the mobo and not everything connected to it as well. :(

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm definitely going to need a late pass. I keep having hand troubles with my drat carpal tunnel thing. What I have done isn't quite enough to playtest and needs more work than I can put into it today, realistically.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay, I have the playtest draft ready but I don't have my fiction yet.

Here's the draft

So I'm not officially caught up until I do a fanfic, right?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Late Pass Entry: A Light Repast

This was, without a doubt, Gohan's hardest meal yet. Faced with the Governor of C-Town, he had been challenged to create a delicious dish using only rice, a single pork cutlet, and whatever he had in his pockets... which unfortunately did not include his family's secret spice recipe, his soy sauce, or even a single tomato.

Thankfully, his habit of snagging greens and wild bird eggs on his travels has paid off. As the guards watched, he requested some cooking implements, not even the Souper Chef could cook using only his bare hands, after all... or could he? Gohan shelved that worrying question for another time, and asked for the following. "Oh great lord, to eat a raw pork cutlet would make you sick, and I need at least a vessel to cook this rice lest you break your teeth on the hard grains. May I have a humble wok and flame with which to practice my craft?"

The Governor grunted his assent and sent two of his guards to raid the kitchen with a wave of his hand. They returned quickly with a small container of oil, a dusty wok that had clearly seen better days, and a simple camp stove with fuel for heat. They placed the instruments in front of Gohan and bowed deeply to the Governor, their helmets concealing their intentions. One of the guards gave the sign of the Pan-Ultimates behind her back, and thus Gohan knew he could succeed!

With a smile, Gohan pulled out his spare knife set and collapsing spatula from his front coat pocket and with a flourish extended the spatula. Using the wok itself as a chopping board he quickly sliced the fresh forest greens he had gathered that morning before his capture and poured a generous helping of oil on them.

He set the camp stove alight with a small prayer to the Gods of Flavor, and followed the greens with the rice. As he set the wok atop the flame Gohan cracked the first of the bird eggs, a wild chicken as luck would have it. The hearty brown egg delivered its golden goodness to the rice as he stirred and fried with all of his might. Soon a wonderful aroma filled the disused arena, and Gohan knew the gods were on his side.

In only moments the rice and vegetables were ready to serve, but he still had the pork cutlet to go, the Governor would reject any dish that didn't use all of the ingredients outright! Gohan plated the rice and veggies with a stern look to the nearby guards to show he was not done yet, and carefully placed the pork cutlet on the still hot wok. With a quick flick of his wrist Gohan cracked the two wild bird eggs, they would be sour when mixed with the oil and the pork breading, but Gohan was counting on that.

After just long enough on the wok to reach the ideal temperature, the pork cutlet soared through the air as Gohan flipped the wok from the stove and landed perfectly atop the stir-fried rice. For a final touch, Gohan used his smallest knife to expertly carve two strawberries into roses and placed them on either side of the golden rice, topped by rich brown fried pork.

Finished, Gohan took up the warm plate, produced a fork, knife and spoon seemingly from nowhere, and handed the whole thing to the Governor with a deep bow. "Hrmph, we'll see if you can live up to your reputation." The Governor grumbled before he gingerly cut the pork and placed a small slice in his mouth. "Ugh, sour."

"Try it with the strawberry or the rice, your lordship." Gohan replied, his body still held in a deep bow.

With a bit more grumbling, the Governor scooped some rice in to follow the pork. "This combination of flavors! The sourness accentuates the rice perfectly, and the greens bitterness gives the whole thing a delightful kick! I have never tasted such a thing! Guards, release this man at once! If he can do this with only a handful of ingredients, let us see what he can do for the whole village with the stores opened. Prepare for a feast, the likes of which we have not seen in ages!"

Gohan smiled as the guards cheered and threw off their helmets in joy. Another town liberated from the tyranny of blandness, and with supporters already in place he should be able to teach them how to cook for themselves once more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I am extra sad but it turns out I won't be able to finish. Life has thrown a metaphorical brick through my window and now I have to spend too much fixing it to playtest, revise, and submit by the final deadline.

Sorry folks, have to drop out.

• Locked thread