Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This sounds fun! I'd like to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheSoundNinja posted:

Mr. Fowl: Cyberpunk and/or Transhumanism

Ahaha, this is essentially the opposite of the Fantasy Anime RPG problem--the seminal works of the genre defined our RPGs! This will be interesting--I'll have to find an angle with a unique voice. Well, one that's doable. I don't think I can turn something in the vein of Qualia of Purple into an RPG.

Error 404 posted:

Ok, so do you mean like detective/perky kids/ scooby doo type mystery here? Like solving a crime?

I may benefit from some examples here.

*extremely sherlock voice* The Game Is On!

E:

If its allowed and you are super unhappy, Id be willing to trade you.

Here's three wildly different examples of Mystery anime: Cased Closed/Detective Conan, Monster, and Mushi-Shi. The first is Scooby-Doo, the second is a long serial thriller, the third is basically X-Files in Japan.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Error 404 posted:

Thank you I will check these out!

Caveat: The first two are very long. Conan you can get the gist of in a few episodes. It's a kids show with your basic Whodunit formula. Monster is impressive but probably too long to get into as prep for this contest. Mushi-shi is episodic and only 46 episodes total. Really chill mystery show with a mix of horror and fantasy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

frankenfreak posted:

Alright, I definitely need some examples here since "business" sounds very vague and generic on its own.

Try Misapporpriations Investigator Rintaro Nakabo. It's a manga by the artist of Fist of the North Star. Imagine if a guy built like Kenshiro were empowered by Bill Clinton to fix the Japanese economy after the bubble burst.

Of course, our esteemed OP may also be referring to the variety of anime and manga themed around workplaces.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

frankenfreak posted:

You know, my first instinct was "running a small business", specifically something like

:v:

Hey, no one's stopping you from making not-recettear the trpg.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Chihayafuru is also totally a sports anime, but you know, with a card game based around classical poetry. It's got friendship and poo poo all up in it like a sports anime should.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheSoundNinja posted:

A part of the reason to include Transhumanism was to try and offset that. The anime's themes would be more important.

The exploration of "What is human?" in the Ghost in the Shell movies and S.A.C. could be a good place to start.

Also, consider the good ol' Ultraviolence in a world that is past our modern day - where new tools have been created, and the value of life is lessened. Or the overcomplication of branding and product placement, such as in Tiger and Bunny (while it isn't fully "cyberpunk", that is a cyberpunk element of it).

Using the genre well should enable players to discuss those themes after playing a story or session of your game. Does that help? The mystery box is still available.

An important part of the cyberpunk in anime is philosophizing about transhumanism--which I will endeavor to make a mechanic in my game.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheSoundNinja posted:

Also, the ship he's in has a huge laser called...

This looks more like the cover of a DVD box set for a TV series than a movie poster.

EDIT: There was a mystery box?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Given how many people are participating in the contest and the various goon IRCs for pbp out there--I can't imagine it will be too hard to find people willing to kill some time on a few quick games. However--I could foresee like, a GENERAL extension for entries due to the volume. Even if there's people willing (and a lot of people in the contest) there's likely going to be a lot of people doubling up inside and outside the contest group in order to make sure everyone gets a playtest and that's quite a few hours.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Agent Rush posted:

Speaking of the blurb, is that 150 words in the OP an exact amount, a minimum, a maximum? Or some other thing I didn't explicitly name?

Both. This competition demands precision.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Here's Franky, he'll be baaack (because he absolutely would have a bad Schwarzenegger voice)
Robin will give your spine a crack
And Brooooooooook!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheSoundNinja posted:

Remember, "Sequel Series" doesn't require it to be an actual sequel - just that something from before affecting the present.

Transhumanity is technically the sequel to humanity.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wax Wings
-Memories of Labyrinth-
A Rᴏʟᴇ-Pʟᴀʏɪɴɢ Gᴀᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ Hᴜᴍᴀɴɪᴛʏ, Iɴʜᴜᴍᴀɴɪᴛʏ, ᴀɴᴅ Wʜᴀᴛ Lɪᴇs Bᴇʏᴏɴᴅ

In a certain City, a long time ago, the people of that City hold in their hearts the Memory of the Hero knowing that one day, that Hero will return.

In a certain City, where the Daedalus System has allowed humanity to transcend the limits of flesh, the question “What Is Human?” becomes more pressing by the day.

In a certain City, where Memory is as malleable as flesh, the only things that bind humanity to the world are the Threads that tie them to each other.

In a certain City, where war has left a people and their city Broken, and turned that city into a dwelling place for monsters, a Labyrinth. In this City Called Labyrinth, from which none can escape, the people can only hope for the Hero’s return. Will you slay the monsters? Will you rise on Wings of Wax? Or will you become the Minotaur?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mr. Fowl posted:

Wax Wings
-Memories of Labyrinth-
A Rᴏʟᴇ-Pʟᴀʏɪɴɢ Gᴀᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ Hᴜᴍᴀɴɪᴛʏ, Iɴʜᴜᴍᴀɴɪᴛʏ, ᴀɴᴅ Wʜᴀᴛ Lɪᴇs Bᴇʏᴏɴᴅ

In a certain City, a long time ago, the people of that City hold in their hearts the Memory of the Hero knowing that one day, that Hero will return.

In a certain City, where the Daedalus System has allowed humanity to transcend the limits of flesh, the question “What Is Human?” becomes more pressing by the day.

In a certain City, where Memory is as malleable as flesh, the only things that bind humanity to the world are the Threads that tie them to each other.

In a certain City, where war has left a people and their city Broken, and turned that city into a dwelling place for monsters, a Labyrinth. In this City Called Labyrinth, from which none can escape, the people can only hope for the Hero’s return. Will you slay the monsters? Will you rise on Wings of Wax? Or will you become the Minotaur?

I posted days ago. Though I didn't have any faaaancy logo cuz I'm poo poo with design.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Been real sick. I'll take a late pass and see if I can manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Gonna have to drop out.

• Locked thread