Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'll fight too! I'd love to try my hand at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

A ghost comes out of your gaming machine.

"It's Cyberpunk and/or Transhumanism" it says.

Hooray, I'm officially in! I haven't seen much in this style beyond Ghost in the Shell though, I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Plutonis posted:

Akira and Battle Angel Alita for older ones, Terra Formars, Ergo Proxy and Ninja Slayer for newer.

Kwyndig posted:

Did you watch Stand Alone Complex or one of the movies, or all of it? If you haven't watched SAC, I'd recommend watching some Stand Alone episodes (the first season is divided into Stand Alone eps, which can be watched with little context, and Complex eps which are the season long plot. If you don't have time for 12-ish hours of anime, watch some of one or all of the other).

Another recommendation is the first season of Psycho-Pass, a dark post-cyberpunk future where cops control crime by monitoring people's "Crime-coefficient" on their eponymous Psycho Pass, a score determined by a vast machine which monitors every aspect of daily life, the Sibyl system. Just a warning, it features some of the more gruesome kills in modern anime, and the second season is even worse.

Cyberpunk aesthetics are pretty popular in anime, but cyberpunk themes can be sparse on the ground. You'd almost be better off just reading Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy, watching the first GitS movie, and then building up from what are essentially first principles.

I've seen the first season of Stand Alone Complex, but never the first movie oddly enough. If I can find the books and the movie I might just take up your suggestion to try and work from the progenitors.

On a related note, when is the deadline for requesting to open the mystery box? Is it the same as the modifier release?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

drrockso20 posted:

I'm glad that I got horror instead of Cyberpunk, because while I'm probably going to be using a lot of Cyberpunk aesthetics(as it's one of my favorites), I don't have to worry about using its themes, which honestly in my opinion don't mesh very well with interactive fiction very well(since powerlessness is one of the big Cyberpunk themes and that doesn't work at all for either RPG's or videogames), and rarely make for good fiction in general(that same thing about powerlessness and futility in doing anything generally sucks any satisfaction or enjoyment out of any "accurate" Cyberpunk fiction and just leaves it a depressing mess)

Also since Cyberpunk anime is almost exclusively only Cyberpunk on the surface I'd say don't worry about matching with the genre's western definition

And lastly Psycho Pass is a terrible disgusting mess, not sure why you'd recommend it to anyone

That's actually an important question, thanks for bringing it up! TheSoundNinja, do I need to match the themes of cyberpunk or the themes of cyberpunk anime?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

A part of the reason to include Transhumanism was to try and offset that. The anime's themes would be more important.

The exploration of "What is human?" in the Ghost in the Shell movies and S.A.C. could be a good place to start.

Also, consider the good ol' Ultraviolence in a world that is past our modern day - where new tools have been created, and the value of life is lessened. Or the overcomplication of branding and product placement, such as in Tiger and Bunny (while it isn't fully "cyberpunk", that is a cyberpunk element of it).

Using the genre well should enable players to discuss those themes after playing a story or session of your game. Does that help? The mystery box is still available.

It does, thank you. I would still like to know when the Mystery Box closes for good though, either way I'll probably end up with a lot to watch this coming week.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This consensus that anime only treats cyberpunk as an aesthetic is pretty silly, I have to say. The only way to make it stand up is to make the definition so narrow that only a handful of works in any medium meet it.

To start with there's plenty of shows - Akira, GUNM, and Texhnolyze to name just a few - that stick close the original formula, with a corrupt society obsessed with technology and protagonists as outsiders or disconnected from the social order. Then you have shows that hone in on one or two specific themes - LAIN with social alienation and transhumanism, for example.

I''ll agree that the bulk of the shows beyond those tend to be post-cyberpunk, in the sense that the protagonists are embedded in the social order. But you still have many of the same themes, just in different context. It's certainly not just "an aesthetic" in something like Ghost in the Shell; pretty much the same themes examined with another perspective. Besides which a lot of the best works outside of anime are post-cyberpunk in exactly the same ways.

Reading Neuromancer (and/or Gibson's short stories) is still a great idea. But ignoring everything else isn't.

Thanks for these suggestions as well! When you mention GUNM, is that a different name for Battle Angle Alita or a different series?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I know I was waffling earlier, but I'll stick with my assigned genre of Cyberpunk and/or Transhumanism. I did have another question though; Would Digital Devil Saga qualify as transhumanism for this? I realize that's a video game, but the answer would really help clarify some things!

I'll probably end up leaning harder on transhumanism either way, but at least I have a starting point.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

Close enough for me! That's basically an anime anyway...

Kwyndig posted:

DDS definitely deals with Transhuman themes, along with, you know, violent demons eating each other.

Excellent, thanks to both of you for the info!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
So Week 3 will be working on and submitting the rough draft, and Weeks 4 & 5 will be playtesting/revising?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Speaking of the blurb, is that 150 words in the OP an exact amount, a minimum, a maximum? Or some other thing I didn't explicitly name?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Under the vegetable posted:

actually im going to already drop out bc i have a lot to worry about right now but it sounds like a fun concept.

That's a shame, I had the :argh: all lined up for you getting my favorite genre!

Seriously though, I hope whatever it is works out for you.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, some people were wondering in the Discord if the blurb has to be exactly 150 words?

Also, my concept turns out to be very similar to Generator Rex, is that ok or do I need to scrap it?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

Exactly that many words.

Does the concept sound like something in an anime? I've never seen Generator Rex, but is it anything like Generator Gawl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mjFGym-xI

Reading the wikipedia page for Generator Gawl, Generator Rex is kind of similar to it. It's like Kwyndig posted; an Event spread nanites all over the Earth and sometimes they activate and turn living things into monsters. One dude has the ability to create bio-mechanical weapons and tools with his nanites, and even cure other's somewhat.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

Sounds anime to me.

Fantastic! Here's the pitch:

Thirty-five years ago, the ARCS virus ravaged the globe. While many infected suffered horrific alterations of their bodies and minds, a rare few retained themselves and used their newfound abilities to fight against the horrors the pandemic created. Their efforts gave humanity enough precious time to develop the Exceed vaccine, and while Exceed lessened the worst effects of the virus it did little to halt the spread. Now almost every organism on the planet is contaminated. Exceed Zeta is a role-playing game in which players find themselves in a world dramatically altered by disease and warfare. While civilization has recovered significantly since the initial outbreak, ARCS Demons and those who attempt to exploit them remain a constant threat in the world. Exceed has given you the means to resist, but it can only do so much. Will you act as a shining Angel, a slavering Demon, or simply a person?

--

Details:

Exceed Zeta will focus on people who ride the the quickly blurring line between human and monster. The ARCS virus has mutated into several distinct strains from its original form, weakened by the proliferation of Exceed but still quite dangerous. The virus boosts physical attributes as well as providing stranger abilities, but always carries the risk of overwhelming its host, turning them into an ARCS Demon. The infected can always push themselves to greater heights of power, but doing so increases the risk of Demonization.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey TheSoundNinja, do my Punk elements have to be explicitly Cyber?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

K Prime posted:

Kowloon

Since I am a fool who likes making systems up, I've started cobbling together my custom set up for this game.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VzaQX_w6s8fNqW5TH09-6PtpRBVob9hPYn2Pwv3tI7Q/edit

Please feel free to comment. Note that I am already planning on ways to make low value card draws valuable.

Oh my god, Cards!? What a fantastic idea that I totally want to use if I can hack something interesting together! :supaburn:

If not I'll probably go with good ol' 2d6.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Well, at least I have a couple days to decide whether to keep going with Exceed Zeta or to try and make something that's not Obviously Double Cross. :v:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, would an Unknown Armies style Occult Underground war qualify for Transhumanism in this contest? I think I have something to work with if I can hammer out a few more details.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

Tell me about it, and your angle.

I was thinking about someone trying to connect to another dimension where psychological aspects like the persona, shadow, nightmares etc. became physical. Rather than drowning the world in its shadow, the strengthened connection causes more personal demons to become real and run amok. People can use their own personas and shadows to fight them, but run the risk of death or being consumed by their shadows.

Does that make sense? One of the details I'm worrying about is whether this is a secret or a known issue.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

So, like Shin Megami Tensei (and more specifically, Persona)?

Yeah, Persona is a major inspiration for this. With a little bit of The World Ends With You thrown in to taste.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mystic Mongol posted:

There are worse RPGs to make.

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like "Double Cross that's not an unending nightmare of crunch and haphazardly translated" is a completely reasonable goal for this contest, yeah.

I guess that's true, although in the end it's up to TheSoundNinja.

Although for my Persona framework, I was working with the idea that Personas were transformations while Shadows were Stands.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

I'm game for either, ultimately. Though I do like to Jo when I Jo, Double [Not as Grim] Cross could be cool as well.

Thanks for the help! Now all I need to do is figure out which will turn out better by the end of the week.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Here's my show of progress, a basic idea on how ARCS progresses as well as how Statistics will work.

ARCS Index
The ARCS Index is a measure of how concentrated the virus is in a character. It will most likely rise and fall over the course of a game, but the general rule is this: the higher the index, the more powerful you are, and the closer you are to Demonization.

Threshold Surges:

As a character’s ARCS Index climbs upward, other ways to enhance them become available. Choose one effect when activating a Threshold Surge, it can be different every time.

25% or greater:
Burst Regeneration: Remove all Strikes at a reduced gain of Virulence.
Targeted Enhancement: When using Enhancement, double the bonus paid for.

50% or greater:
Advance Strain: When activating a Strain Ability, you can use the Advanced version without gaining Virulence.
Spread ARCS: Successful attacks cause targets to gain Virulence.

75% or greater:
Nullify ARCS: Choose one; targets cannot use Strain Abilities, targets cannot Regenerate, targets cannot Enhance.
Extreme Strain: You can use the Extreme version of your Strain Abilities.

100%:
Initiate Demonization: Remove all Strikes, Raise all Stats, Ignore Strike Penalties (you can still be Downed), Strain Abilities do not gain Virulence. You cannot Regenerate or Enhance while Demonization is active.

Virulence
Virulence is a measure of how active ARCS is in attempting to overtake a character. Players can gain Virulence by Regenerating to remove Strikes from their Stats, Enhancing to add bonuses to their rolls, and to activate their character’s Strain Abilities.

Raising Virulence:

Regeneration: Using ARCS to remove Strikes without the use of Aid materials. Can also be used to recover from being Downed at additional cost.

Enhancement: Using ARCS to improve a Stat before a Test. Higher or longer lasting bonuses raise Virulence at a faster rate.

Strain Abilities: Using ARCS to generate various supernatural effects. Cost varies depending on ability and level used.

Applying Virulence to the ARCS Index
At the end of the current scene, any characters with Virulence greater than 0 enter the Resolution phase. Players roll their percentile dice. Rolling higher than their current ARCS Index is a success, while rolling lower than it is a failure. Matching the ARCS Index is a Critical Success and 01 is a Botch.

1. If the player succeeds, their ARCS Index and Virulence stay as they are.
2. If the player fails, they add their current Virulence to their ARCS Index. Then reduce Virulence to 0.
3. If the player critically succeeds, their ARCS Index stays as it is and the Virulence is reduced to 0.
4. If the player botches, they add their current Virulence to their ARCS Index without reducing Virulence.

Statistics

Force: For when you need to make something or someone do something

Agility: For when you need to move fast or skillfully

Resistance: For when you need to stop something or someone from making you do something

Expertise: For when you need to learn or remember facts or technical training

Intuition: For when you need to notice something important about the world

Strikes

Damage to characters in Exceed Zeta comes in the form of Strikes, penalties applied to a character’s Stats. When you take Strikes, you choose which Stats they apply to. Each Strike is -1, and if enough are applied to bring any Stat to zero the character is Downed. Whether you’ve been knocked unconscious, pinned by enemy fire, or are hanging off of a ledge, a Downed character cannot act without receiving Aid or Regenerating.

Passive v. Active Tests

The difference between a Passive Test and an Active Test is asking, “Is there a mind opposing this action?” If the answer is no, it’s Passive. If it’s yes, it’s Active. (Ex. Dealing a bear trap is a Passive Test. Dealing with a live bear is an Active Test.)

Passive Tests are resolved by rolling 2d6, adding the appropriate Stat number and any relevant bonuses to the dice result and comparing it to the Target Number set by the GM.

A general guide to Target Number difficulty:
4:Trivial, anyone can do it
6: Easy, most people can do it
8: Tough, people who know what’s up can do it
10: Challenging, some people can do it
12: Difficult, a few people can do it
14: Arduous, almost no one can do it
16+: Nigh Impossible, no one can do it without ARCS

Active Tests are a little more complex, being resolved by both parties rolling 2d6, adding their appropriate Stat number and relevant bonuses to the dice before comparing each other’s results. Highest number wins, although in case of ties default to the defender.
Note: this assumes there are only two participants in the Active Test. If there are more involved, each side with multiple parties selects a Primary, who rolls as normal. All other parties on that side count as Additions, and add their Stat number to the Primary’s result. In these cases, ties are decided by the number of Additions. If a tie remains, default to the defender.

More than likely these will change significantly, but I think it marks a foundation to work off of.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Here's my rough draft!

Did I make it?

FAKE Edit: Whoo, slid in under the gate!

Covok, let me get in touch with my group and I'll see if we can test yours.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 20, 2017

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey Covok, have you found someone to playtest trade with? My group is up for a game this week.

Are you on the Discord? It might be easier to co-ordinate there.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

At work so I don't think I go on Discord. My group is already down with the idea of playtesting this week. So, I think we can swap. Talk more when I get more...whenever I do.*

*Accountant Life Problems

Cool, I'll start reading over your game now. Thanks!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

One problem you're going to notice is, for better or worse, the game is built for the long game. Like, the big thing I'm resting its appeal on is the Arc System which is explicitly a multi-session thing. Obliviously, I don't expect you to run a full Arc as it would run about 5ish sessions, but I'm just trying to say that it is a big of impediment for short term play testing.

Essentially, the gist is that campaigns are broken up into acts with each act having its own special rules and flow of play to create a narrative arc. The current draft has only one of each type of Act, the final veirsions would shoot for a lot of alternates to avoid monotony. But, yeah, the basic idea is the game's structure and flow changes on where in the Shonen story arc you are and that is basically what I'm hoping makes the game appealing.

Ah, I see. I'll try to get the link to the group as well so they can read up on it too.

EDIT: Hey Covok, the playtest on my end might be a little later than I planned, something came up. I still want to work with you, I'll let you know if the situation develops one way or another.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 22, 2017

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Sorry Covok, I probably won't be able to playtest your game until next week. If I can get to it sooner I'll let you know.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
GUNS! Playtest notes 1

We went with hotfixes, and tried out a few different variations of rules as we played. I was the GM and had three other players, a Protagonist and two Supporting Heroes. We did a truncated run of Act 1, with a few combats and ending with a fight with a General.

We liked the collaborative character creation, but found that creating Generals and the Big Bad can cut into the session time. Combat was generally enjoyable, with the players getting into describing how their Facts helped their actions. As a GM it didn't seem like I had much to do beyond informing them of success or failure.

Some of the specific questions we came up against during the session are below.

Player Characters:

Do the Archetypes have to be chosen from a list, or can they be created wholesale?

Enemy Creation:

Are these characters meant to be created before hand, or at the same time as the Shonen Heroes?

The text mentions both Minions and Underlings. Are these the same type of character, or are they supposed to refer to different things?

Tension:

We tried out spending Tension both before and after a roll, which did you plan its use around?

When gaining Tension with a quirk, is the point added before or after the player takes their action?

Complications:

We weren't sure when exactly Complications were supposed to be applied. If a Complication is applied after every action, it seems like there's no point to trying to Maneuver. We had Complications get added when the player rolled no successes on an action. When are they supposed to be applied?

Facts:

Is there a way for a character to use another's facts against them, or are facts only used by the character that has them?

One player tried to make a narrative "attack" against the opponent. Is it possible to learn about an NPC's facts in-character?

Can Arena Facts be invoked by anyone, or only by PCs?

Bursts:

A player suggested using a Burst out of turn. Doing so makes it incredibly powerful, are they meant to be able to interrupt another's turn?

Act 1:

Does the 'boss bonus' apply to a General's power level?

We were planning to meet up again and try another Arc, I'll post notes from that if we have it. Covok, does this help? I'll clarify if you have any questions. TheSoundNinja, is this good for the playtest requirement?

Also, were you able to run Exceed Zeta?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

Let me respond one by one here.

Glad you liked character creation. I never imagined Generals and the Big Bad as something you'd all make together. I always thought of it as pre-game work by the GM. I guess I never made that clear.

Hmm, I didn't consider GM disengagement during combat. I'll have to consider those things.

Player archetypes coming from a list was an idea at some point that I kind of forgot to implement. I probably will in a later draft as there was supposed to be a list for the protag and for the supporting cast to keep things genre-centric. Chalk that one up for me forgetting to implement that feature fully thus causing the confusion.

Before hand was the intention.

That is an updating error. They refer to the same thing and I just missed changing every instance.

Hmm, I never considered the Order of operations on that. Which felt better, since you tried both?

I assumed you'd get the Tension after rolling.

That's a good point on complications. Should have made Maneuvers immune to that so that had a purpose. They are supposed to be applied every roll to give the GM something to do and make the battle dynamic and put the bad guys at a slight advantage.

Hadn't thought of that. Currently, no, but maybe they should be. That could be very interesting with some kind of "Counter" action. Works really well with the Shonen Trope of using their weaknesses against them.

Sure, that can be a thing. The finding out NPCs facts in-character thing.

Arena facts can be invoked by anyone.

Bursts, like all actions, are assumed to be only used on their own turn.

Yep, applies to the General's Power Level.

--

Yep, this helps alot! And, seriously, thanks for being willing to do another.

We're going to run a playtest of Exceed, hopefully, in 6 minutes. One guy said he couldn't make it and one of the others hasn't signed in yet. But, the plan was to do it at 7 tonight instead of our normal game.

Using Tension before hand for a big handful of dice seemed to be more in tune with how it should go, given that you have the Gun Trick to allow rerolls. Speaking of Gun Tricks, have you considered either letting it reroll any number of dice or letting players get more than one? It seems a little weak to only be able to reroll one die once per combat.

One thing I missed, do Archetypes count as Facts?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

Hey, yo, Agent Rush, I just want to confirm that you weren't offended by anything in that recording. I know we can be a little blunt at times and I hope you didn't take offense.

I haven't heard it yet. I read through the notes earlier, I was going to listen to it either today or tomorrow. Just to ask, did you go over how Positioning or Strikes worked during it? Even if the answer is "They didn't".

EDIT:Tell tokenbrownguy thanks for playing the game!

EDIT2: I've listened to the whole thing, it was pretty great! Good to hear some of my instincts on what needed to be changed and added are right, and also some stuff I hadn't considered like a more explicit description of the tone I'm shooting for. I'm just sorry we couldn't record our session of your game, Covok. Thanks again for the playtest!

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 28, 2017

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
GUNS Playtest Notes 2

Hey Covok, we got the chance to play Act 2. I told the players about Archetypes being Facts, that Gun Tricks let them reroll any number of dice, and that Manuevers were immune to Complications. They definitely appreciated that.

Here's some of the questions that came up during the game:

Act 2:

The difficulty for the checks at the end of the scenes seems really high, is the intention that players will only partially meet their goals? We tried it out RAW and all the players failed every check by at least three successes. The math as it stands requires either 100% successes on seven dice, or multiple 10s on four or more dice.

We also tried out setting the difficulty as the number of successes needed by the end of the three scenes, but found that we needed to raise the successes required as they reached the goal by the second scene.

Can you use your Gun Trick during the goal scenes? We tried both being able to once per scene and once per goal (three scenes). The latter seemed to fit better, giving the player a chance to recover without making the scenes trivial.

Can you spend Tension on these rolls?

If the Power Level Increase is supposed to be unlikely to succeed, maybe it shouldn't come right after the boosted General fight.

Misc. Suggestions:

Have you considered a Critical option for attacks, say if one side gets 5 or more successes than the other?

Is there any way for a player to reduce an opposing dice pool, or do players only increase their own?

I don't know if we'll be able to play again, I hope this helps you out. I'll clarify any points if you need me to.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Just to confirm Covok, Unknown Armies is fantastic.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Is it too late to reboot? The playtest confirmed and revealed a lot of issues with my current design, and even if I keep the virus concept it's most likely going to be radically different from what I had before.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

Feel free to.

I'll need new ad copy, right? Anything else?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

So, I saw this before, but didn't have the time to respond so let me do so:

1) Thanks for doing two rounds! That was a lot more than you needed to do and it's a big help!

2) Yeah, I probably just hosed up the math on that. It isn't supposed to be that hard. Thanks for calibrating. I'll tinker with these things and see what ends up working.

3) I never considered either using Gun Tricks or Tension points. I'll give that some thought. That's one of those "forgot those interact" things.

4) Yeah, sounds like I really need to tinker with the difficulty I set up.

5) Hadn't considered it, but it is certainly something to consider.

6) So far, only the later. Never really considered the former. Well, outside of hurting your opponent's fact which, effectively, lowers their dice pool.

You're welcome! Also, one of the players suggested examples of play for each section. A few of those would definitely clear things up.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Our Space Adventure Hero playtest has ended, we went through character creation and ran a few scenes. I'll post the playtest notes tomorrow.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Space Adventure Hero Playtest questions:

Hero Creation:

There should be a few examples of what defines the opposition when creating the hero.

When going around the circle, does the last person give input before collating the concepts or not?

Supporting Cast Creation:

How do you determine a character's initial star rating?

Are players allowed to collaborate on their supporting characters?

Supporting Cast Selection:

How do you determine supporting cast selection during the first episode/session?

One of the players suggested that people play one of their characters during the first episode to establish a baseline. Does that fit what you were going for?

Do players keep one supporting cast character for an entire episode, or can they swap out in a new scene?

If players can swap supporting characters, do their old characters go back into the pile or stay out for the episode or scene?

Scenes:

We were a bit confused by how scenes work. Is it that each roll made moves a scene closer to ending, or does the first roll end one? We tried both and felt the first option worked better.

After the opening scene where the villian initiates, who becomes the scene initiator? We did it so that whoever ended the previous scene initiated the next one.

Episodes:

Are episodes another name for session? One of the players raised the question of multiple episodes per session happening.

Is there anyway to recover Convictions or Distinctions during an episode?

Plot Points:

Do players begin with any plot points?

Can plot points be spent to improve a roll?

Overall we enjoyed the game, though it feels a bit light to sustain a campaign past two or three sessions.

Hope this helps, AlienRopeBurn! I'll try to get on later if you have any questions for me.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Just for edification and so I have a central place to double-check some things as I head towards a final draft.

But first:

Thanks a lot! This really helps out.

Do you mean "does the last person ask for input"?

Got a few. If you can't answer them perfectly, that's fine, but here's some things I was curious about.
  • How did your group feel about playing supporting cast and the level of agency they have?
  • If you can recall, did your group earn or spend plot points, and if so, how and what on?
  • Similarly, do you recall what distinctions were used, or any that stood out during play or had a major impact?
  • Do you think a traditional RPG means to grow or strengthen characters would help, or would it be counterproductive?
  • Was there a particular mechanic you enjoyed? Similarly, are there any that felt annoying or cumbersome?

1. I mean after everyone else has added a detail about the hero or opposition. Does the person who ties that all together get to add one?

2. Supporting cast felt ok for us, but we only had two people playing with them. Also we were swapping them each scene, that probably affected our opinions on them as well.

3. The Hero player earned some plot points and used them to affect a scene and change a Twist into a Resolution.

4. A few of us picked Use This! for our supporting characters before deciding to change some of them up, but we didn't get a chance to use most of them. Renaissance Master was a lot of fun though!

5. Advancement mechanics would definitely give the game some staying power, but I wouldn't say they're necessary for your current concept. If you think they'll help go for it.

6. Everyone really enjoyed creating the hero together and making their own supporting characters. Scene initiation was a bit confusing, and the rolls were really tight at a 50/50 chance without modifiers. One player likened the fact that distinctions and supporting cast concepts are once per episode to Dark Souls in requiring judiciousness. If that's what you were going for you nailed it.

Hope this clears things up for you!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I asked this in the discord, but just in case it got missed:

Hey TheSoundNinja, if I had some players as humans and other players as the spirits they call on/join with for their powers, is that too far off of my theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Presenting for the judges and wider audience, the final manuscript for

Congrats, and good luck! What did you use for the layout?

• Locked thread