Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

*comes racing into the thread, gasping for breath due to the effort of clicking on the forum post* Did someone say ANIME?

But seriously, I could use a project to distract me from the piss-reeking hellscape that is real life so I'm down for this. Is it still open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TheSoundNinja posted:

SPORTS!

Yes, we're still open for business. The thread's quiet due to anime binging, I presume.
A genre I'm actually familiar with, shockingly. Less certain on how to turn it into a tabletop RPG, but most sports already have clearly defined rules so it's a good starting point. Do I need to present a game that can be used to run any sport, or can I specialize?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

Chihayafuru is also totally a sports anime, but you know, with a card game based around classical poetry. It's got friendship and poo poo all up in it like a sports anime should.

Chihayafuru is good poo poo, but I don't think I personally could capture what makes it so good in the form of an RPG. On the other hand, after googling a bunch of the less mainstream sports I think I found something to build around. Depends a lot on 'the twist' though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think I'm better equipped on the anime side of things than the tradgame side, to be honest. I imagine anything I make will have a strong influence from Tenra Bansho, Double Edge and Gold Sky Stories.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. That actually requires very little in the way of changes to my setting. Though ironically, declaring it a sequel does retroactively make it sound much less inspired than it already was. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It is the year 2017 of the Pilgrim Era (PE). Soaring through the cosmos in a sub-light Dyson sphere, the would-be colonists of the HMS Hemingway have long forgotten the world they left behind. Yet one cultural artifact remains beloved by all: Jai-alai, the fastest sport in the world!

Rebound! Alter:F is a game about the passions of the players & supporters who bear their dreams onto the court. Choose your destiny! Is it a heated clash with your rival, or escaping the shadow of underground gambling? A tale of surpassing your parents doubts, or the agony and the ecstasy of forging a team of misfits into champions? With roles for players, coaches, friends, and even aliens, multiple campaign styles are possible.

All roads converge at the stadium. So strap on your 'xistera!' Step into the 0-G 'cancha!' A dream of fiery youth begins here!

++++++++

Mystic Mongol posted:

OH WELL, guess I'll follow Rangpur around and give him helpful suggestions about how his RPG needs to involve booster packs of CCG cards!
It's terrible, he just stands behind me constantly whispering it in my ear. I don't even know how he got into the house. But it's not all bad! I showed him the logo I made with my self-taught skills in GIMP and he proceeded to vomit up blood, then offered to make one in Photoshop instead. I don't know if that docks me points or not, but that's his work up there and I'm sticking to it, because it perfectly represents the... lack of subtlety I've tried to embrace with this pitch.

edit: I liked the idea of going for underrepresented sports, so for the record, there are zero manga about Jai-alai (that I was able to dig up, at least). I did locate a single series about Curling, but they didn't talk much about the sport in any of the three chapters that were translated. TBH it mostly seemed like an excuse to draw fanservice, soooo... It was either going to be Jai-alai or water polo, basically. :v:

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Also: fairly straightforward to play, once you get past the specialized equipment, and of course, the risk of death. (Hardest ball in the world, and it travels like 300 km/hr. It's why they make the back wall out of granite.)

Mind you, I don't know how well I actually be able to represent it but it's well suited to level of abstraction you need to make it a pen-and-paper game, I think.

• Locked thread