Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I make no guarantees of finishing it, but I need to get back into doing stuff

Count me in
Fake edit: i dont even like anime so, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheSoundNinja posted:

How would you all feel about getting your genres early (today, and whenever anyone else signs up), but getting the modifier at the start of week one?

Strongly in favor of this!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Covok posted:

I am in favor of releasing it early for research purposes, yes.

Gets assigned "hentai"

Yes..."research".

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheSoundNinja posted:

Error 404: Mystery

Ok, so do you mean like detective/perky kids/ scooby doo type mystery here? Like solving a crime?

I may benefit from some examples here.

*extremely sherlock voice* The Game Is On!

E:

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Oh, hey. I got the genre whose seminal works are literally based on the creators' D&D campaigns. I... really hope I get an interesting modifier, because right now I'm kind of salty over getting the most generic RPG prompt possible

If its allowed and you are super unhappy, Id be willing to trade you.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 20, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Fowl posted:

Here's three wildly different examples of Mystery anime: Cased Closed/Detective Conan, Monster, and Mushi-Shi. The first is Scooby-Doo, the second is a long serial thriller, the third is basically X-Files in Japan.

Thank you I will check these out!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kwyndig posted:

Monster is really good, once it gets its hooks into you the show will take over your head until the end.

Fowl is right though, unless you've got some serious binging time before the deadline it might be too long to watch all of for research.

Honestly Ill probably skip around and watch a few episodes.

I know mystery narratives, so mostly I'll be watching with an eye towards tone and quirks I can use to make The Most Anime Game Ever!!!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not sure what sci-fi doesn't cover, honestly, outside of outright fantasy. It's a bit troublesome. I have some ideas but it's tough to think of something that might lead to interesting mechanics actually related to anime that isn't just... a sci-fi game.

E=MCfriendship x love

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Agent Rush posted:

If I can find the books and the movie I might just take up your suggestion to try and work from the progenitors.

Tbh if you're going back to Gibsonian first principles. Anything you really need is just in Neuromancer. The other two books are just refining and expanding on Neuromancer's foundation.

Also Neuromancer is a v quick read wrt this contest and how short february is.

E: all the books are good though and you should read them just to read them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Agent Rush posted:

It does, thank you. I would still like to know when the Mystery Box closes for good though, either way I'll probably end up with a lot to watch this coming week.

Thanks for these suggestions as well! When you mention GUNM, is that a different name for Battle Angle Alita or a different series?

Gunnm is the same, baa is just the english name

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kwyndig posted:

As for me... still no progress, but I'm leaning towards a more cops game lately. Although with my current state of mind, it would be next to impossible to actually have 'fun' playing any game focused around police that I build.

Funny enough I've been thinking of going Cops for my mystery solvers game too.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I only call it GUNM because it's faster to type to be honest.

Same
But...two Ns.

GUNNM

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kwyndig posted:

Monty, tell us what's in the box!

:fry:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ive got enough ideas to make a terrible game. I will also pass on, un-boxed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Depertment Zero: Stand Together Complex

The world is dangerous and weirder than you ever thought possible in a world reeling from the discovery of a multiversal convergence engulfing our City. It seems like every other day you have some new world ending doom!

There is no entity too ancient, or case too weird, for The Special Crimes Branch of the Metropolitan Police! It's time to call in Department Zero! This latest entry in the Department Zero series utilizes new mystery building mechanics, while allowing much more creativity and flexibility in play. So join your fellow officers in the department, and use your high tech know-how, gritty determination, dark magics, or even the power of Friendship!TM and thwart the nefarious plots of aliens, demons, mad scientists, and more who are planning to unleash devastating cataclysms upon your fair city.

This game is not appropriate for children, but we both know you'll play it anyway.

*150 words exactly by my count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah I think I'm going to bow out. Its just not coming together for me.

• Locked thread