Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think I want to give this a try.

What are the genre's in play right now? So more can be suggested.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Genre ideas

Fantasy epic
Military Fantasy
Fantasy Dungeon crawl
Cyberpunk
Sci fi Traders
Military Sci Fi
Horror
Monster Hunting
Monster Hunting & Cooking
Sports
Fantasy Sports (Ie, Not Quidich the squad.)
Gaming
Band adventures
Shop keep
Fantasy Farming
Martial Art's drama
Conspiracy Horror
Wizard school
Power Ranger style adventures
Magical Girl
Historical Adventures
Detective adventures
Police procedural
Pirates
Vampires
Werewolves
Ninja adventures
Steampunk
Cakepunk (Drama and adventure in the court of Cyber Louis the XV)
Swashbuckling

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 18, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it's something to consider, I was wondering what I would do if I get something I'm unfamiliar with. (Do what all RPG publishers do and fake it, I guess.)

I assumed I was going to have to watch something new as my anime history consists of Ninja Scroll, Spirited Away, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Shamploo. Gonna start looking for the standouts in the genre as soon as I know what it is.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

TheSoundNinja posted:

So what is Giant Robot and what is Real Robot? Giant Robot is more akin to series like Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagaan, where friendship and belief are more important than how the robots actually work. Real Robot is more akin to Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team, where it is all about how the robots operate and the real horrors of war.

So Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagaan. Anything else I should look at for the Giant Robot genre? I assume stuff like Gundam is more Real Robot, no?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 20, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

TheSoundNinja posted:

OHMYFRIENDTHEREISSOMUCH

- Getter Robo ("New Getter Robo" as it's known in the USA is my favorite version)

- Godannar (watch it with a special someone, the pilots are married)

- Giant Robo (the robot is Pharaoh themed)

- Kotetsu Jeeg (the main guy becomes the loving robot's head, the rest is a shell)

- Mazinger Z (also, any Go Nagai series with robots is a good fit)

- Aura Battler Dunbine (Fantasy Robot Suits)

- GaoGaiGar (the main character is voiced by Dean Venture's voice actor in the English dub)

- Linebarrels of Iron (Dying kid becomes Robot man who's strength is based on his belief in himself)

Gunbuster. loving watch it. And the sequel Daibuster.

And, there is exactly one Gundam series that works for this genre:

Thank you. Looks like I have a lot of research to do.

First impressions on a quick look, Giant Robot seems very like animated Super Sentaii. Would that be a correctish assumption?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Competitive spelling bees!!!!

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 21, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cheerleading
Paintball
Illegal street racing
Competitive eating
Space race (Like matchbox racing but with rockets and the moon as target and kid geniuses as the inventors and racers)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Has there been anime about competitive circumnavigation by sailboat?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well, you got me to google for it.

vv Accepted. Yes it should be. vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 22, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wrote my 150 already but wanted to give myself time to make changes. Will drop it sometime tomorrow.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In the grand tradition of overemotional teens in giant robots engaging in battle while displaying an egregious misunderstanding of Christian symbolism, I give you...

The game of young heroes, ruled by passion, tempered by faith, and armed with Giant Robots.

For over 1,000 years, The Chimeric Papacy has been the guiding force of human civilization, having brought together the warring schisms that once threatened to destroy civilization.

Now discord and uncertainty reign. Dark secrets long buried and hoped forgotten have surfaced, throwing the long peace into disarray. Adherents of an Ancient Schism, believing themselves wronged and aching to revenge a millennia old slight, now sow heresy, death, and destruction wherever they go.

As Faithful Knights Templar in service to Pope Anjelica III, it is your duty to wage war with the forces of heretical schism bent on destroying all that is right and true. Your passions and your faith give you strength, and the Schism has been mended once before. Gods willing, you will mend it again.

Tam pro papa quam Anjelica enim unitatis.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 6, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Figured I had best get something up before midnight. This is very much still in the early stages and some stuff might be excised or changed completely. I left off in the middle of a sentence when I last stopped working on it.

Rules

Core Mechanic

Dice are only rolled if there is an interesting reason to do so.

3d6 + skill or Ability + circumstance modifier vs target number

Skills and Abilities

Average 0
Good +1
Great +2
Amazing +3

Modifiers

Minor help +1
Moderate help +2
Major help +3

Target Difficulty

Very easy 6
Easy 8
Average 10
Hard 13
Very Hard 16
Absurdly Hard 18
Near Impossible 20

Modifier Rules

Modifiers max out at plus 3. Modifiers include the following and each individual bit of help is worth plus 1;

Spending a point of Faith/Passion.
Taking a turn to prepare
Being helped by a team member

Faith/Passion

Heroes in service to the Chimeric Papacy are beings of great passion and faith, as only those exhibiting such zeal and drive can truly unlock the potential of the Armor of Gods. Each Hero must therefore embody both a type of faith and a personality. When they embody these aspects to the detriment of themselves, they receive Faith of Passion points, which can be spent on a variety of things.

1. Faith/Passion points can be spent whenever an action they are performing is done in the spirit of their passion or faith. As these points are granted for taking action detrimental to themselves, it is the GM’s duty to be generous as to what character can spend on, after all, they suffered for this.

2. Faith/Passion may be used to declare a truth. This declared truth is now a part of the game and can be interacted with as seen fit by the players and the GM.

Combat

Combat is performed in a similar manner as other actions, but on a somewhat extended scale, with some unique rules.

Mecha

The statistics of mecha mirror that of their operator. The operater trains

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Late to doing so, but I have to drop out. Life interferes. Hope to give it a better shot one of these days.

• Locked thread