Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I might be down but the whole thing has so many rules and Musts, like it's a homework assignment instead of a fun experiment in design. I have no idea how I'd rope in my usual group into playtesting Maid 2 as well. Can't we just submit a final copy or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

TheSoundNinja posted:

Which "musts" are too much, if you don't mind me asking?

I don't dig the tone coming from the big list of absolute rules, but I really don't think the Playtesting step is going to work. It's a big barrier to entry for participants to organize and chase down players, especially if they get something hard to sell, like Monster Harem. I get that playing a game's a great way to get to grips and understand it fully, but I have no idea how I'd drag my usual group away from Age of Rebellion to try an untested game from someone they've never met, based on a genre and medium they don't like. You'd probably be fine just sending them to other entrants for a friendly critique early on, probably at the draft stage.

Other than that I don't think the approach is a good idea. It's really excessive and takes this whole thing too seriously. I'd expect most people are planning on entering because it seems fun and allows them to experiment with game design, while academic style requirements for first drafts by exactly 11:59 are a little intimidating, especially when you say you'll just ignore the strict time stuff anyway. I doubt anyone thinks they'll create something that'll get much attention, but it'll be something fun to make. The goal should be about entertaining each other and playing with design, and I feel that the set deadlines and restrictions get in the way of that. The whole thing kinda reminds me of the old GWS Iron Chef challenges, where they struggled to get organised because they got too invested with giant OPs and trying to set everything in concrete, while people just got intimidated and didn't enter.

If I was writing the OP, I'd basically say "This month's challenge is to create a Good Anime Game. Sign up and I'll send you a genre, and you'll need to make a game that matches it, along with a short blurb about the game and setting. I'll be scoring based on Mechanical Quality, Genre Emulation and Flavour. There'll be prizes for winners, submitted by DTRPG. Signups end at the start of Feb and submissions stop around the end of the month" and you'd have roughly the same result but be a lot less scary to new entrants. The Modifier is a bad idea as well, since we've already got a clearly defined goal that's going to be enough to work with, and it's just going to favor some genres or homogenize everything.

I checked the thread for last month's and most of the rules were there, so I'd be interested to see if this was actually the case for people.

drrockso20 posted:

Not sure about him, but Rule 3 definitely removes any desire I have to join this contest

Rule 3 seems pretty dumb to me as well. I get a need to encourage creativity, but it's just stopping more casual forays into design. Plus it blocks a lot of jokes as well, like OSR Sailor Moon or Gumshonen. If you're scoring based on mechanics and ideas, just don't give rote stuff a high score.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 18, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Copyright rumble in the bunghole 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna sign up, should get me into the writing groove before uni starts again in march

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wondering how possible it would be to have players create a manga as they go by drawing low-quality cartoons as their action. It's a good flavor thing but doesn't have mechanical hooks and might slow down play.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Do it normally or OSRmance... the big question.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
OSRMANCE: Adventures in Love

The World turns towards Darkness, but may yet be saved by the Chosen One, a hero descended from the last saviors of the world. But they cannot do it alone. Helping them are their friends and rivals, who harbor secret passions in their hearts that draw them on the quest for Justice. Not only will they have to work together to save the world fighting monsters, villains and overbearing parents, but they'll compete with each other to win the Chosen One's Heart. Can the Power of Love truly defeat Evil?

Probably featuring unless it's too hard:
The Chosen One: this vital yet spineless NPC Inherits traits from the previous OTP that define his mostly blank personality.
Social Conflict: Earn Love Points by helping or appealing to the Chosen One.
Archetypes: New classes that represent traditional characters from classic stories of romance, connected with Brute Force to OSR-style mechanics.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I found a way to generate Ascii titles like Gamefaqs have so I've got my aesthetic down

code:

,-----.       .-'''-. .-------.    ,---.    ,---.   ____    ,---.   .--.    _______      .-''-.   
  .'  .-,  '.    / _     \|  _ _   \   |    \  /    | .'  __ `. |    \  |  |   /   __  \   .'_ _   \  
 / ,-.|  \ _ \  (`' )/`--'| ( ' )  |   |  ,  \/  ,  |/   '  \  \|  ,  \ |  |  | ,_/  \__) / ( ` )   ' 
;  \  '_ /  | :(_ o _).   |(_ o _) /   |  |\_   /|  ||___|  /  ||  |\_ \|  |,-./  )      . (_ o _)  | 
|  _`,/ \ _/  | (_,_). '. | (_,_).' __ |  _( )_/ |  |   _.-`   ||  _( )_\  |\  '_ '`)    |  (_,_)___| 
: (  '\_/ \   ;.---.  \  :|  |\ \  |  || (_ o _) |  |.'   _    || (_ o _)  | > (_)  )  __'  \   .---. 
 \ `"/  \  ) / \    `-'  ||  | \ `'   /|  (_,_)  |  ||  _( )_  ||  (_,_)\  |(  .  .-'_/  )\  `-'    / 
  '. \_/``".'   \       / |  |  \    / |  |      |  |\ (_ o _) /|  |    |  | `-'`-'     /  \       /  
    '-----'      `-...-'  ''-'   `'-'  '--'      '--' '.(_,_).' '--'    '--'   `._____.'    `'-..-'   

patorjk.com/software/taag/

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna have to drop OSRMANCE, got too much other stuff on my plate this month. Good luck everyone else.

• Locked thread