Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

As someone whose first TTRPGs ever were Maid and BESM, and had enough nostalgia for the latter to e-mail White Wolf last year to see if they still have the BESM rights (they still do), I feel like I'm kind of compelled to enter the competition. Also I had a ton of fun in the last contest I was in, so I'm really excited to give another one a go! I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Oh nice! War/Real Robot's got a lot of options, and gives me an excuse to watch a lot of good anime again. That said, if there's anything in the genre(s) that folks'd recommend on Crunchyroll, I'd love to hear them!

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Armilage: The Peace Keepers

War has come again to the Republic of Polegia, and now it has torn it asunder.

On one side, the Polegian Protectorate works to maintain a corrupt status quo. On the other, the United Polegian Front imposes its technocratic monarchy. Between the two factions lies The Disputed Zone, an ever-shifting land of idealists, refugees, and outlaws. Armed with machines of war once built for peace, the conflict threatens to be the powderkeg that throws the world into chaos.

You are a Peace Keeper, a soldier of the Federation of Free Lands on a controversial intervention mission. Using your own machines, you will bring order to The Disputed Zone and an end to the war itself, by any means necessary.

Supplies are scarce and assistance is limited. Your superiors squabble over loyalties. The war lurches towards a nightmarish conclusion. Will you and your unit have what it takes to survive?

---

No fancy logo here, unfortunately. Don't really have the head for that sort of stuff.

So, details! Armilage uses a dice pool based resolution system. Players make pools either from combining two stats or a stat and a skill (I haven't quite figured out if the game needs a full skill suite yet, we'll see). Die results above a certain target number are called "steps". Players must roll a certain number of steps for a full success. At the moment the number of steps is always five. Results come out like this:

0 Steps - Failure
1-4 Steps - Partial Success
5 Steps - Complete Success
6+ Steps - Success With a Bonus (an extra bit of damage, getting something done in half the expected time, an extra bit of info, etc)

Players have access to six stats, split into three categories:

Innate Stats - Stats related to the person themselves: Body, Mind, and Morale. These also serve as the character's health, and can be reduced with damage. When one of these stats hits zero, the character is removed from play.

Acquired Stats - Stats related to more external factors: Armor, Speed, and Firepower. These stats are determined in two ways: a base set of stats provided by a character's starting class, and a separate set of stats depending on which Armilage (Armored Military Agent) the character uses. An Armilage's Acquired Stats always overrides a character's Base Acquired Stats from the moment the character climbs in the mech until the very moment they're out of it.

That's what I've got so far, though I've got some various other ideas for mechanics and character creation at the moment. I just need to see what pans out by the time the next step of the contest is due.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Presented for the approval of The Sound Ninja, I bring you a very rough draft of a character creation chapter for Armilage: The Peace Keepers!

I wanted to have a lot more done, but sickness made sure that this is the only part of the game that's totally complete at the moment. Here is what the game itself should look like, in a really rough outline. The playtest version will have the Rules chapter, the Character Creation chapter, and as much of the mech/equipment chapter as I can before deadline. All the history stuff/General (game master) stuff will probably be for final deadline.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Almost there, might just make the deadline, but just in case I'm going to say that I'll probably need to Late Pass this one myself.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

We were fifteen klicks from base, just Mac, Elette, and I. That was a long way out for so few of us, but we heard that Mustel got hit by a UPF push. The Fronties get wild when they win something, so we were off to make sure that the city was still all right, and that the base wasn’t going to get a surprise visit from a Paladin.

They flattened the place; they didn’t even try to reclaim it for themselves. Elette went to treat the wounded, Mac was getting the situation from a local and I kept watch in my Leaper.

I saw a group of UPF Lotuses marching across the hill. Behind me I heard the whine of Protectorate fighters. Mustel would fall, and hundreds more would die if we didn’t do something right now. I warmed up my jump jets, not sure who I’d strike first.

---

And with that Late Pass out of the way, I am proud to present my playtest for Armilage: The Peace Keepers! It contains the first three chapters of what will become the final game, and has all the rules necessary to play the game. The playtest is 52 pages long in total, and I sincerely apologize that I couldn't get such a big document out on time, since I realize it might be a lot to take in, even with a two week play-testing window.

You can obtain the play test here.

At the moment, my main play testing concerns is whether or not the basic task resolution system is fun, and whether or not combat works. I'm flying blind for a lot of these stat builds and Operations/Maneuvers, and my main focus is to create a system that manages to be abstract while providing robust tactical choices to the player and to the GM. I don't quite know how to set up numbers for what a Base's Total Supply should be, so for the person play testing this game, I would suggest that they start with 15 Total Supply and see how that works out for them and the group.

Any suggestions on what Special Equipment to add, as well as neat Real Robot weapons and tactics that you'd like to see in this game after you play test it would also be welcome. Digging through GundamInfo's MS Movie Files is always enlightening but there's always more I could be doing.

Thank you very much in advance for reading, and for play testing.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Had the chance to play Mysterious Hero Legacy last night with my group. There were some hang-ups which I'll be getting into in a moment, but the basics is that we all had a pretty good time with it, and it's definitely the root of something pretty neat.

For this playtest, I had a group of three players, each with varying degrees of familiarity with Tokusatsu and/or Fate Accelerated. The first major hurdle was during the character creation process. Because there's no real setting to the game, or a basic set down of what a Tokusatsu/Sentai story consists of, one of my players ended up having little to spring board off of. It was difficult to come up with Eras without more solid examples, though we eventually developed some. There was also some difficulty in determining what a Super Stunt looked like mechanically. We settled on keeping the same formula for a regular Stunt, only with the bonus being +4 or +6 with a cost, or the special ability occurring twice during a session, or three times with a cost. While the players had no real trouble with it, the draft could use some consistency in using its terms for the Legacy's aspects, as later parts of the document refer to what clearly should be the Legacy's Flaw as its Trouble. Despite the issues, the players enjoyed creating characters, and created two Scions each: their current Scions and a past Scion.

The Legacies were:

Dynamo Yellow, a thrill seeking Legacy that is best at Quick approaches, with a tendency to die young and powers granted from Wild Speed. Its signature move is a flurry of punches that all land on the targets at the same time. Its Scions were Katsuhiro Blaze, a rowdy Toku fan and loyal grandson living in the Era of Steel and Glass, and Atomu Blaze a dashing river pirate living in the Era of Iron and Cloth.

Goliath Green, a rough and tumble Legacy that is best at Forceful approaches, with a tendency to make themselves an easy target and powers granted from Super Strength. Its signature move is a phantasma gauntlet that appears as the user is throwing a right hook, and connects with its target at full power. Its Scions were "Buddy" Buchanan, a professional hockey player and reluctant hero living in the Era of Steel and Glass and Annag MacDougal, a proud warrior living in the Era of Bronze and Gossamer.

Gentleman Buster, a sophisticated Legacy that is best at Careful approaches, with a tendency to be bound by social conventions and powers granted by Unparalleled Precision and Planning. Its signature move is a powerful blow that can knock out enemies. Its Scions were Jaku von Ivanivich, a wealthy and powerful aristocrat living in the Era of Steel and Glass and Sir Alphonse of House Siccara, a shipwrecked sailor with mysterious powers living in the Era of Iron and Cloth.

The session that followed mostly consisted of testing MHL's new combat system. The players found little need for Skill Tags and preferred to use their Aspects and Stunts whenever possible. From the Game Master's side of the table, I liked the simplicity of Enemies compared to FAE's regular system, but I could never quite get a hang of what would be an appropriate Target Number for a Foe or a Toughie. I had settled on a +2 for Minions and going up by one for each stronger class, which seemed to work all right. Having enemies move after the player is convenient, but I felt like I could use more defined Attack Options to keep the enemy attack patterns fresh. A few enemies were Worthy Opponents, where I learned that the basic Armor system works, as well as Rallying. Combat from the player's side of the table by all accounts felt satisfying, especially in terms of building Power to use Signature Moves. In game, they really did feel like heroes pulling off finishing moves and signature attacks, and I really enjoyed their use.

Unfortunately, I never had a lot of good chances to invoke any Legacy's Flaw enough to test out the Flashback and Advancement system. That said, we found nothing wrong with it at first glance, though one player wished there was a faster way of implementing a flashback, perhaps with an alternate rule for shorter, convention-style games.

In conclusion, the game basically works due to the strong engine of Fate Accelerated, and what the hack adds to the game is interesting and fun. However, the game could use some consistency in its terminology and some more mechanical guidelines, as well as some example Legacies, Scions, and Eras to help players with the creation process. I hope this helps you with your next draft, Comrade Gorbash, and I'm willing to answer any questions you might have.

Free Cog fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 4, 2017

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Hedningen posted:

Armilage Playtest Notes are live.

General impressions: could use some reorganization, consolidated world information, and more information for running the game for players. Everything else is in the notes.

Let me know if any clarification is needed!

First of all, thank you very much for your thorough notes; I really appreciate having this information in such a well-organized manner! I'm glad you and your group had a good time with the game, and I hope to make it better by week's end.

To address some of the points brought up in the Playtest:

• R and E are completely right about the stat arrays. I didn't put them in the playtest draft because I wasn't sure if 6 points was the right amount for starting Attributes, but since it seems to work so far, I'm going to replace the Attributes section of the character creation chapter with the arrays.
  • I was really intrigued by the idea of having gear distributed before the mission instead of character creation, and I think I'm going to try that out for the contest submitted version. What I think I'll do is that I'll use the Green/Yellow/Red system and turn it into a full on difficulty measurement system, since that was something else that the group wanted. I already built Green, Yellow, and Red gear according to a loose set of Attribute parameters, so it shouldn't be too hard to alter.
  • Yes, Blood Type is a role playing guide as well as a medical detail. Anime often uses it as a signifies of temperament and personality, and when I saw the chance to go Full Anime, I took it. That it is normally on an ID tag makes it even better.
  • Yes, when Firepower is greater than Armor, Armor subtracts its entire value from the Firepower, and the remaining amount is subtracted from Body, though it can also be subtracted from Mind and Speed as well.
  • Guidelines for Total Supply are coming. Part of the reason it's not in the playtest is that I wasn't quite sure how much would be necessary and I ended up too sick to crunch out some numbers. That you seemed to have a decent play experience with 12 gives me a good sign of what to base Total Supply rates around.
  • I'm hoping to create more gear variety in the final version. The simple three-stat setup makes it a bit tough, and I intentionally didn't give ranged or melee weapons Operations to prevent the player being overloaded by them, but I'll find a solution for things like rifle/shotgun similarity.
  • I didn't see the small Firepower = small capacity = more Supply needed than deadlier weapons loop coming, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. Anything I can think of to change how Firepower works ends up running into the same problem at the moment.
  • I like the idea of a bureaucracy system a lot, and I'll see if I can't do something with that by final submission time. A system that could cover both soldier hierarchy and the power imbalance among Peacekeepers and Disputed Zone inhabitants could be neat, but no promises.
  • There will be more of a setting, that I can promise, even if the lack of it did lead to the best country names ever in your playtest.

And of course, the organization suggestions the group made will be going into the book. I had tried to avoid dropping game lingo too early in the playtest document, but I think doing so and directing people to their actual entries would be better in the long run. I think that covers everything, and if there's more questions/issues, I'll be happy to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Unfortunately I couldn't whip up a nice PDF in time, but presented for your approval is the full draft of Armilage: The Peace Keepers!

Oh, also! It has a character sheet!

Free Cog fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 20, 2017

• Locked thread