Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sure, let's give this a shot. Maybe I'll try to dabble in PbtA design, or maybe I'll just make something totally novel, because GANBARU ZO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Somehow I'm more concerned about binging on giant robot RPGs than on binging the actual anime. This is kind of a well-trodden path...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

So just to clarify: for the Modifier, is that going to be a single element for the entire pool of entries? So we'll all have to go hyper-violent or whatever?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Another good one is Zyuranger, the season that the first Power Rangers season was based on, it's currently available for free streaming on Shout Factory's site if you're in the US

Honestly, I'd recommend Zyuranger for a newcomer to sentai -- it's a really good "pure" sentai series, and some of the newer series can get really cluttered. (To be fair, even the older series can be pretty cluttered; Dairanger, the series that followed Zyuranger, is a hot mess of weird half-finished plots.) Carranger is also great, although maybe less of a beginner series, because it's pretty goofy and has elements of parody.

(yes, yes, I know, nerd trap sprung)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, my assumption is that there can be some degree of genre crossover as long as the focus is on our assigned genre. I know that, pending incompatible Modifier, my Giant Robot idea is going to be fantasy-flavored.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm leaning towards a PbtA base myself, probably stealing Pigsmoke's "you get two playbooks and combine them" mechanic. Potatocubed, if you're reading this thread, I'm sorry for ripping off your larval game -- it's just a mechanic that's a really good fit for the genre, is all.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

As for me... still no progress, but I'm leaning towards a more cops game lately. Although with my current state of mind, it would be next to impossible to actually have 'fun' playing any game focused around police that I build.

I'm not TSN and have no final say on what the genres allow, but maybe it would be easier to work with cops in a fantasy/SF/otherwise reality-removed setting, to try to get away from modern topical issues if dealing with them is depressing/draining for you? Cop/crime anime isn't my specialty, but I'm sure there have to be some shows with cops in non-gritty settings that still follow the genre.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Isn't there a cop Yuusha show, J-Decker? That might be worth looking into. (Disclaimer: I've never seen it, just heard of it, so it might be garbage.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

When the time to play test gets closer I'll open a Contest Discord channel in order to make organizing and contacting other people easier. Hell, I'll probably make it after work today.

I'll be in on this.

Also, I'm tentatively willing to run multiple playtests if we have a playtest gap come Week 4. I game on IRC and have a good community of people who are willing to try these sorts of experiments, so I believe I can manage more than one one-shot playtest.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Long ago, the Enemy came, and a Giant Robot and its brave Pilot fought desperately to save us. The Pilot failed. The Robot faltered. Earth belongs to the Enemy. Do you dare stand against them, young Pilot? Do you trust your Robot, and does it trust you?

From Hell's Heart is a storytelling game for three players about hope and redemption in a world conquered by darkness. Each player takes a distinct role in the story: the hopeful, vulnerable Pilot whose fighting spirit drives the story; the Giant Robot, a being with its own secret heart, whose trust and power must be earned; and the Enemy, conquerors of Earth, who intend to crush them both. Using a simple set of mechanics based on character relationships, From Hell's Heart tells the story of the triumph or defeat of Earth's last beacon of hope.

Rise, Pilot. Awaken, Robot. Now is your time.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 29, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

TheSoundNinja posted:

Exactly that many words.

What are you going to be using for word counts? I'm getting 150 from one tool and 152 from another, even after I cut out my stupid em dashes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I just used Cooltext, but to be fair, mine is not one of the actually good logos in this contest, so y'know.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Covok posted:

I'm 50/50 on contact the guy (or someone new because he's doing a KS) I normally call on to do these things for me. The question is if I want to spend the money.

Cooltext?

A pretty quick tool for making text logos with effects. Not deluxe, but good for those of us with no graphic-design skills.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I feel like "Double Cross that's not an unending nightmare of crunch and haphazardly translated" is a completely reasonable goal for this contest, yeah.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Here's the current Google Doc for progress on From Hell's Heart. I'm hoping to keep working on it tomorrow to flesh out the gameplay sections, but I feel like there's enough to at least post the link now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Cutting it about as fine as it can be cut, but here's the playable rough draft of From Hell's Heart. Looking forward to playtesting!

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 20, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looking to do a playtest trade by tomorrow evening if I can, it's when my gaming group meets and we could try a thing. Sorry for the short warning on this, I've been behind on keeping up, but I figure it's best to at least try.

I'd be willing to give this a shot, since I'd like to try out your game! Is From Hell's Heart just being a three-player going to be a problem for you?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

If Davin's up for it, he can have priority; I'm still trying to get my promised RoR playtest done (hopefully tomorrow night), so I probably shouldn't put more on my plate.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Looks like I have a full house tonight, which is to say four players + me. Any suggestions around that?

Could try it with two Pilot/Robot pairs, maybe? I'd actually be interested to see how that runs. You'll probably need to modify the Endgame table results, but play it by ear and let me know how it goes. I was actually considering adding rules for more players, so this could be really interesting.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I got your note in the middle of playtesting From Hell's Heart - my solution was to make it a dual-pilot robot and just have each pilot with 2 hopes instead of 3. That didn't impact the math any (and it all went a bit sideways anyways), and I just worked to proctor and present the game. I have the recording and the character sheets, and I'll see about getting them over tomorrow with my thoughts. But consider it tested here!

Cool! I'm really interested to see how things went.

Quick update on my end: we're working on chargen for Requiem of Rose now, and the plan is to play tomorrow night. Looks like it'll be a three-player game, and I'll try to get as many of the nights done as possible, ideally up to a Spiegelnacht. Currently we two PCs with Knowledge blights and one Coziness blight, and every PC took Academics 4, so Spiegelnacht might get... flee-y.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I finished a playtest of Requiem of Rose tonight. I don't have the full log up yet (I'd want to clear it with my players), but there wasn't a ton of mechanical material in it; we only had time to play out one night or so with a 3-PC cast. (All three PCs had Academics 4, two with a Knowledge Blight and Eggy Ravens and one with a Coziness Blight and a Hatscrab, but their flavor was more distinct and we got a broader spread of NPCs.)

The big issue we had with the game, and that my players identified, was not being sure how things are supposed to be paced and how much the PCs are supposed to be able to get done in a "working day." Are all seven days intended to be played in one sitting? How long should a day run, and how much should the PCs be allowed to do? The seven-day cutoff means that I suspect time and PC action economy are supposed to be tight, but we weren't really sure, and we ended up spending several hours playing one day. It'd really help to have some guidance on this.

I had a few other rules questions, although some of them may just be me being dense, but here goes:

* How should actions be handled that are potentially in contention but aren't Conflicts with NPCs? We were running the murder plot, and obviously, the PCs were pretty keen to investigate. I adjudicated this with just having them roll appropriate stats, but should this be more "if they do it, do it" and guided by fictional positioning, with dice only coming into play for NPC conflicts?

* I feel like the Blossoms system could stand to be explained in a little more depth, especially when it comes to interacting with NPCs. The impression I have about the Blossoms system right now is that PCs should be gaining knowledge of NPCs' Blossoms via actions like Research, which allow them to predict the NPC's allegiance and choose conflict actions appropriately. Also, for Sharing Blossoms, it seems like right now there are several Blossoms you can share but which the NPCs can never possess (Love for Aesthete, Knowledge for Revolutionary, and both of the sharables for Sardonian Spy). Is the intent that the PC Blight Blossoms can be slotted in for Personal? Also, is it assumed that players should know and be using the knowledge of which Blossoms correspond to which NPC allegiances? I assume as much, but I figured I'd check.

Gaining and spending Blossom could also be clarified. You don't actually have a pool of Blossom "points," right, just a number of Blossoms, each with its own descriptor? Is there a limit on what kind of Blossoms PCs can and should be gaining? For spending, which I think is just for Betray, "spending" a Blossom for Betray is using the knowledge of that Blossom for your own ends, with it being "spent" because you can't readily use it for betrayal again?

* Also, it seems like Allying should take more than just learning the NPC's Blossoms, even if that more is just "roleplay it out." This is at the extreme end of the scale, admittedly, but two out of three PC Research checks against NPCs hit four successes, basically by virtue of having three Academics 4 PCs and them rolling hot. Like I said, probably extreme, but how hard is it supposed to be to get allies?

* A bit about Blight and Docent: if I'm reading this correctly, for all Docents, the initial Midnight Ritual that gets you Docent 1 doesn't actually consume Blight. This should probably be added to the Perform Ritual rule specifically, instead of just in the Docent skill lists. (I presume this is so players can get to Docent 5 and still have Blight 1.) I'm not sure this is stated anywhere in the rules, but I'm guessing that if you hit Blight 0 via spending it on Desperate Prayer/Docent powers/failing Grigor/eating all your cake/going to the bathroom and someone eating your cake/etc., you're removed from the game via gory demonic transformation or being Docent-devoured or some such? It might be worth it to note that -- or, alternately, to note if you're not actually allowed to spend/eat below Blight 1.

* It might be useful to clarify the ways that Spiegelnacht can end. My guess right now is that the only options are "kill all dice of the Squad," "betray and kill your Docent," or "die," but is that correct? Can PCs potentially succeed via flight or stalling? Also, do Empire Loyalist allies still give dice to the Squad by existing, or does the fact that they're allied cancel that out?

* Super-minor, but during initial Thorn determination for the Court, it says "Health = Military," but later it states that all NPCs have 3 Health. Which is correct?

EDIT: So this isn't just harping about rules, I did want to mention that the flavor of the game worked really well! My players were very into the world as described and it was fun to riff on as a GM. We had a good time and there's definitely some great potential in this game.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 4, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

All right, I think this beast is finally done:

Final PDF draft! (And yes, before anyone asks, the whitespace chunks are intentional. I just figured that big blocks saying ART PLACEHOLDER would look a little tacky.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, this was amazing. Best of luck to the finalists, and I hope the podcast recording goes well, TSN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Covok posted:

Just want to make sure, you know you're a finalist, right?

I'm aware, but good luck to everyone, you know? I'm really looking forward to seeing these games shine.

• Locked thread