Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Is there a chance I can get a late pass for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

TheSoundNinja posted:

Yes you can! High "Seas" Adventure is your genre, and the modifier you must include is Sequel Series.

Got it.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Week 1 task - 150 page blurb
Betwixt the broken stars lies everything you can desire.

But are you ambitious, cunning, and foolhardy enough to try and take it?

In a galaxy where time is malleable and technology is malicious, take your place amongst the unknown stars. Discover new planets, reconnect old colonies and rediscover the universe around you, all while trying to avoid the machinations and anarchy of unregulated space in a recently divided universe.

Where each game can be its universe, the threats aren't just the conflicts, policies or bureaucracy you can understand – with the shattering still wounding the universe, dangerous time magic and deadly ancestral connections are at your command – but be careful, for if the time stream is damaged too much, you could end up lost in time and space.

Betwixt Broken Stars is a space exploration game with a focus on character drama, ship-to-ship combat and reconnecting a broken world.

- -
Late pass fictionExtract from an interview with Leonard Marchkiller, owner of “Lucky Stars”, south side of west city
I overheard an interesting conversation between two patrons the other day. The two were obviously drifters, I could tell that much from the look in their eyes, their look is sharper than most folk who come my way. In any case, I left my tape player recording by accident, so if you like I've got the recording here.
“...And I told you, we can't just follow that signal! By our estimates it's several clicks away, and we have no idea what's in between!”
“Yes, we have no idea what's in between but our shields survived god-drat space Sekigahara. If anyone can make that connection, it's us.“
“OR, we could just go around, meet up with the rest of the crew at Planet Ozvez-”
“And let all of that unexplored space be mined by someone el-”
“And survive.”
“But we'll need to cough up for Ozvez's tariffs if we do.”
“I'd rather pay up than pay with my life. And I know you still have plans for Osreiler-7, or whatever they call themselves now.”
..So then I asked about their destination, and wouldn't you know it I knew a guy who was looking for a ride there himself. So we bargained, they paid me for the info, and that's how I got this new coffee machine. Ain't she a beaut?

Ahh, what do you know about aesthetics anyway.
- -

More detailed description:

The aim of the game for this one will be in three inter-connecting parts: A travel system which uses randomized distances to flesh out/expand the universe, a Ship-to-Ship combat system and an Ancestral power system, which will act as our sequel hook and involves drawing upon your past life in order to help yourself out, but with complications.

The primary method of expressing the High Seas genre will be the ever expanding galaxy map, combined with a relationship map in order to show visible progress and expansion of the known world. This map will not only encourage a "connecting the dots" mentality in order to help connect the scattered colonies of humanity (or aliens, depending on how it's run) with mechanical support for doing so, but also have inter-session mechanics in order to make the world feel more alive and breathing. The game will also have a large focus on space ship - space ship combat, which should help add to the high-seas feel.

The primary manner of interacting with the sequel premise is that each character(and maybe some NPCS) are all ancestors to those involved with the "Shattering", which caused not only cut off intergalactic travel, but shattered the universal community in so doing (hence, the shattering mentioned in the blurb) and fractured parts of the space-time-continuum (hence, why old data on neighbouring galaxies is useless and time magic/ancestral power exists).
As the game progresses, the players will uncover (and have some say in) the events which played out in the past, which help the players understand why the world they live in is now as it is.

Getting Lost in Time and Space will be a mechanic, and it will be devastating when it happens, because it's getting lost in time and space. It won't be a TPK, though.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Progress report: Mechanical groundwork laid out
Book Layout
Due to the independance of some of the mechanics from each other, I have decided to split the book into sections which contain the resolution mechanics alongside the lore/creation mechanics. The intent of this is to make it easier to remember where a certain piece of information is - if it's about travel, it'll be in the Space section. If it's about ships, combat or creation, it'll be in ships, and if it's about characters it'll be in characters. So far, my plan (chapter names pending) is roughly:
  • Introduction
  • Space setting/Travel mechanics
  • Character creation/character resolution
  • Ship creation/Ship combat
  • Time magic/Lost in time and space

Character creation/Experience
Characters begin with a score of 1 in 5 attributes: Body, Dexterity, Mental, Social and Spiritual. Players are then allowed to add 2 to their attributes in any manner they desire before taking on "Experiences". Experiences are packages of 3 upgrades (and possibly some traumas) which are tied to experiences in your character's background called "Memories". Each Experience has a different XP total connected to it - for character creation, you are alotted a certain amount of XP to spend on these experiences.

After character creation, experience can be spent as normal to upgrade skills, attributes and to buy certain advantages. For every 3 things you spend experience on, you must tie them together into a memory.
Example Experience:
[Ship Captain]
- Social + 1
- Command + 2
- Body + 1
-One Trauma of choice, relating to War/Death.
(XP:13xp)

Example of XP expenditure:
Zapped Shenanigans spends XP to increase his body by 1, his Seduce by 1 and his martial arts by 1. Zapped's player remembers when one of the other new players joined the crew, Lei on Hands, who also has been improving their body/martial arts recently. So, Zapped ties it together by making the memory of "Joint workouts with the new kid" to cover the body, seduce and martial arts raises. If, when he gets lost in time and space he loses this memory, he will also lose the benefits (but can regain them back at a reduced cost with time).
For the playtest: I will make 4 ship role experiences, 5-7 background experiences and 1-4 traumatic experiences (as well as a beta character sheet, exp chart, etcetc.)

Resolution Mechanics
Besides ship to ship combat(we'll get to that later), the games uses a d6 stat+skill success pool system. The baseline difficulty is 3+, but instead of variabl pool size the difficulty and be shifted up/down by various factors, from a minimum of 2+ to a maximum of 6+(which will be very rarely reached).
For the playtest: A couple of weapons, some basic armour options and roll modifier charts. Also, basic non-ship combat rules.

Ship travel
Usually done at the beginning of the session, the Captain determines the destination (if any). Then, two things happen simultaneously - The Pilot/Captain role to reach their destination succesfully, and the GM rolls to determine how long the journey will take. If the Pilot/Captain roll badly, mishaps and shenanigans can happen. This is also where players can buy

For the playtest:Mapmaking rules, One pre-genned map/scenario, mishap and new planet charts up to 2d6, rather than the full d66.

Ship-to-Ship combat
Ship combat focuses around weapon timing. Each weapon takes a certain amount of time to charge, then fire, and each charge time acts to break up S2S combat into rounds. Players can do various actions depending on what's on board the ship (or at least, make progress with them), interceded with the impact of the ship's weapons.
Ship lore and such
Each ship is manufactured by one of X "Clans" (which due to lore reasons are more franchised than unified): Freelance(aka the "no clan" option), Akechi, Toyotomi, Sanada, Uesugi, Ishida and Tokugawa clans. Each will have their own ship designs, unique tech and weaknesses. A ship can be a Hybrid of two or more clan tech, but hybridizing tech introduces unique weaknesses.
For the playtest:A Sample of ship designs, tech, etcetc. For two of the clans will be provided, those being the Akechi and Toyotomi clans. These two clans will be the focus of the pre-genned scenario.

Getting lost in time and space
Tied to the providence of time magic and the lack of safety in intergalactic travel, players (and ships) can get lost in time and space. When this happens, depending on the severity, multiple things can happen - You can find yourself somewhere random, go backwards or forwards on your personal timeline or even be attacked by supernatural beings(maybe). When you get lost in time and space, you roll to see how far lost in space you are(if applicable), and how far lost in time you are(if applicable).
For the playtest: Preliminary rules for being lost in time and space.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Unfortunately I'm going to have to tap out. My apologies.

• Locked thread