Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

I posted earlier but I think it was missed, I need a genre.

Also some real good taste in anime in this thread.

My apologies, but I'm glad to tell you that we love your Business plan! You got the funding!

Also, how the gently caress did your post slip by me? drat. The only way to make up for this is to add an additional week for playtesting, pushing back the deadline for playtest reports to Sunday March 5th by 11:59p CST, which pushes back the overall deadline for final submissions to Sunday March 12th by 11:59p CST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

So Week 3 will be working on and submitting the rough draft, and Weeks 4 & 5 will be playtesting/revising?

Yes, with the week after the deadline being your chance to add in your tweaks and submit your final draft. We've evolved from a "February only" contest to "February to some time through March" contest! Hooray!

Plutonis posted:

I'll be traveling from Feb 8 to 13 but I'll try my best to get poo poo done asap and leave those days free.

Okay. Remember, the goal with week 2 is to simply show you've made some effort, so you should be fine. On the plus side, you'll be back for the bigger deadline no problem!

EDIT: Also, now there are 32 participants at my last count. That's a lot of anime...

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Both. This competition demands precision.

Yup. Take it from me, you will have extremely limited space on the backs of boxes and books for information like that.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For high 'seas' adventure,
Thats pretty wide, imo.
I guess Space Dandy counts as that, so does secret of the blue water, space battleship yamato, sengoku in space Thunder Jet...and about a billion more (i was going to mention LotGH but eh)

What my question is:
Is the required tone to be entirely naval, ala Yamato, or Anime with very heavy sea elements ala Nadia.

The reason for the quotation marks was to keep it open for you. Naval isn't required, but neither are sea elements. The "Seas" is more a vastness to be adventured in and through, with oasis-like spots of people spaced between. Does that make sense?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

True Fact: I actually like that opening better than the Vic Magnanana version the Funimation dub of the first season used.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They were already running out of steam with Chopper's line, what would they have done for Robin+?

And then the rest of them, one of them's another girl?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

ill try t o do this but will also fail at doing this.

To confirm: You want to participate in the contest?

If so, suit up!: You've got Sentai / Tokusatsu

EDIT: Genre assigned! Best of luck Break some legs!

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 25, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I'm gonna sign up, should get me into the writing groove before uni starts again in march

Well, I'm glad you have a love of education.

...the joke is you've got Romance.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Anybody interested in the unofficial Design Contest Discord can hop in here

Added it to the Participant list. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 25, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

We can't swap genres with someone, right?

If the one you got doesn't satisfy, you can take Food and / or Cooking.

...but you'll be needing to write a fanfic during your research to switch over. Just 150 words, about a Food and / or Cooking anime, and the genres switch is yours.

Under the vegetable posted:

actually im going to already drop out bc i have a lot to worry about right now but it sounds like a fun concept.

Sorry to hear that man. My fiancé is in a similar spot by the sound of it, so I hope things get easier for you.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

I'm kind of doubling down on the troupe of young, hot-blooded dream driven heroes face a great threat together through friendship, effort, and victory. I'm doubling down on the "narrow focus is the best for game design" and kind of keeping things to shows with similar setups like Naruto, One Piece, Hero Academia, and Bleach. Yeah, I know Bleach wasn't that great, but it is a good source for the kind of things I've decided to focus on. Trying to focus on a few things:
  • Ensure heroes and villains are within the themes of Shueshia battle comics
  • Give a feeling of power and progression
  • Keep it simple because this is a contest and I only got a month
  • Enforce the narrative rules of the genre
  • Enforce the arc structure of these kinds of stories

My main worry is that the core mechanic's formula might be a pain and that my choice of dice pools might gently caress me from a math standpoint. Like, while the "Generals get the same Power Level as the number of Arcs completed and Big Bads get that number +1 as their Power Level" should equal out with "Power Level goes up for every character per arc completed" but it gets weird in extreme.

Perhaps have a mechanic for increasing the difficulty of the subsequent arcs based on the weird power antics of the PCs? I like the concept, the challenge is how to rope in "Shonen Power Creep" to actually be a mechanic...

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Wondering how possible it would be to have players create a manga as they go by drawing low-quality cartoons as their action. It's a good flavor thing but doesn't have mechanical hooks and might slow down play.

Do eeeeeet. I can't not love that idea.

DeadReed posted:

Throwing my chips into the contest.

Ah, sliding through the passageway right before the wall comes down, eh Dr. DeadReed? Trying to send the idol of War / Real Robot to a museum?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

The Cut-Off for new entries is now! If you still want to enter, that's fine - but you'll be using a Late Pass to do it.

The modifier for this contest is to account for one aspect of anime that the genre's don't cover: the producers! You'll be dealing with a restriction from "on high" that you'll need to factor into your games in some way.

So, say hello to the introduction for 4Kids' dub of Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRwJvOm395E

This series was a spin-off sequel to Kinnikuman: an anime and manga series about the adventures of a wrestler who is the father of Ultimate Muscle's protagonist.

But as far as the United States was concerned, Ultimate Muscle was it - there was nothing before it, and nothing after it. Effectively, it was a stand-alone sequel series.

All of your games must be a "Sequel Series" of some sort.

What does that look like? It's up to you. Whether through the story or the mechanics, the legacy or impact of something in the past has to have an impact in the present that the characters have to deal with.

So, get creating. Feel free to chat either here or in the chat thread to come up with ideas to involve the modifier with the genre you were assigned.

EDIT: Added the explanation on the modifier. Feel free to ask any questions you have on it.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 28, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Sir Mopalot posted:

Ooh me, me, if it's not too late that is.

I'll late pass the hell out of this.

Late Pass you shall! You've been assigned: Magical Girl and the game you make must involve the modifier: Sequel Series.

Just turn in your 150 word ad blurb and a 150 word fanfic about magical girl anime.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Trollhawke posted:

Is there a chance I can get a late pass for this?

Yes you can! High "Seas" Adventure is your genre, and the modifier you must include is Sequel Series.

I'll be updating the participant list later this evening, as I have to attend a family "affair".

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Huh. That actually requires very little in the way of changes to my setting. Though ironically, declaring it a sequel does retroactively make it sound much less inspired than it already was. :v:

Remember, "Sequel Series" doesn't require it to be an actual sequel - just that something from before affecting the present.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

Amusingly it took me some time to understand that Period Piece is in no way restricted to Japan. That said...

LEGEND DIVIDE
Fight for your Convictions! Battle Gods! Save your People! Build your Legacy!
Return to a time where bronze ruled and kings were gods, when hard choices meant hard consequences and one name could live for millenia in word and a deed. The time is 1250 BCE. The world is shaken as the wars between the Hittites, Assyrians and Egyptians continue, while the Shang Dynasty fights against their decline and the coming of the Spring & Autumn period, and Greece is torn apart in the Trojan War. Enter Ancient Mesopotamia at the end of the Late Bronze Age, build up your tribe, settle a village and a family, and build your legacy, navigate the treacherous waters of Betrayal and create a legend, that endures the ages, worthy of rivalry even to the gods and their ilk. Will it be built upon Blood, Glory or Artistry? Will your legacy survive the ages, in a time, when LEGEND DIVIDEs?

Too bad actually, but I don´t feel able enough to translate something seriously good into the R.A.N.C.E. RPG for now, so that will have to be left out for now. So no hyperweapon stat, I´m afraid.

This reminds me of REIGN: The Animation - the anime about Alexander the Great, with the AeonFlux looking character designs.

Sir Mopalot posted:

Magical Girl is simultaneously great and terrible to be working on, lots of great fodder, but also it's pretty well-trodden ground already.

Don't believe in you. Believe in the anime that believes in you!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

I didn´t know this existed!
Also: That anime looks horrible! :D

Yet somehow that didn't give me nightmares when I was 16. This did instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQYpl4diX-g

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Sir Mopalot posted:

For stuff that is a hack of an existing ruleset, does it need to have an OGL or similar agreement?

If the terms of the ruleset require it, yes. I'm not sure on the Cortex+ requirements, but D20 does require it to be included at the end.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Well you can't copyright mechanics. You can trademark and copyright specific terms, but not mechanics. Basically what this means is to be completely in the clear you'd have to rewrite all the stuff so you're not directly plagiarizing the game text.

This only matters if you're trying to make a real game out of it, usually fanworks aren't pursued because the money involved is nonexistent in the RPG industry.

For this contest, you'd need to write it in a way that you could sell it if you wanted to. But Kwyndig is right, only key terms can be copyrighted. Mechanics are fair game.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm pretty sure PbtA has a pretty chill license, but I'm going to be writing it as a hack just to be sure.

Vincent, Creator of Apocalypse World posted:

As far as I'm concerned: do, if you want to. I'll be excited to help in any way I can.

If you're going to use my exact words, you need my permission. Get with me and tell me which sections of my text you'd like to use. In general I don't have any reservations about this, so probably I'll just say yes and away you go. If you want to use, like, whole chapters, or my character playbooks, or really extensive pieces, that'll mean licensing them from me.

Better if you use your own words! Then you don't need my permission at all. I hope you'll give me and Apocalypse World a mention on your credits or notes page; do that and I'm happy.

This applies to hacks with wholly original content only.

You would be totally fine to create a hack or PbtA system in this case. Have fun!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, some people were wondering in the Discord if the blurb has to be exactly 150 words?

Also, my concept turns out to be very similar to Generator Rex, is that ok or do I need to scrap it?

Exactly that many words.

Does the concept sound like something in an anime? I've never seen Generator Rex, but is it anything like Generator Gawl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mjFGym-xI

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Quick clarification to the word counts:

I'll paste the Ad Copy or Fanfics into a Google Doc, Highlight it, and use the word count tool on the selection.

While Ad Copy (the 150 word description) will need to be exactly 150 words, fanfics can be longer. Also, the Ad Copy can be accompanied by more detailed descriptions of what you're working on.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

Reading the wikipedia page for Generator Gawl, Generator Rex is kind of similar to it. It's like Kwyndig posted; an Event spread nanites all over the Earth and sometimes they activate and turn living things into monsters. One dude has the ability to create bio-mechanical weapons and tools with his nanites, and even cure other's somewhat.

Sounds anime to me.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Black Wombat posted:

Okay. Unless I'm mistaken, I've seen this thread approximately 35 minutes before the deadline and would like to request to get in on this!

My friend, that's what a Late Pass is for! You'll be making a Period Piece game that's a Sequel Series. For this week, you'll need to submit an exactly 150 word Ad Blurb about your game, and a 150+ word fanfic to be considered on time!

Also: my phone is updating, and that has my randomizer on it. Feel free to enter using a Late Pass, but it'll take about 15 minutes to assign genres again.

NEVERMIND, DISREGARD THAT.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Hedningen posted:

Burning Fires of Youth!!! The Demon Lord's Return!
The gates to the demon realm opened by Lord Shura closed 15 years ago thanks to the hot-blooded efforts of Japan's greatest youth gang, but shutting the gates has done nothing to stem the spiritual powers manifesting through society and the occasional stray demon, so buckle up and prepare to punch your way through rival gangs, rogue demons, and sinister conspiracies! Utilizing the Burning Fires of Youth system, this role-playing game will let you and your friends experience the world that sprung up after the events of the original show. Form your own gang, design your own spiritual powers and martial arts style, and prepare to enter a world of thrilling fights, manly emotions, and terrible demons – not to mention the trouble of staying delinquent when the cops are out hunting monsters and your rival gangs can shoot fireballs! Gather your gang and prepare your spirit to burn on!!!!

Progress so far
Sketched out the skeleton of a system using my personal albatross, mah-jong tiles, because it creates a cool method for counters and makes things feel even more anime by being non-standard and kinda weird. Looking into a more storygame-type system format for this - while fighting might naturally lend itself to crunchier systems, I'm trying to keep things loose enough for a relatively narrative fail-forward system. Skills have been designed for open-ended design - don't know who I'm ripping off for this, but they're player chosen, with starting characters getting one keyed to each attribute, no matter how nonsensical. Current example is hacking via punching things, sheer fighting spirit, or somehow talking a computer into doing what you want.

Already a bit intimidated by some of the cool system logos here - I feel like I should get on doing that.

gently caress. Mah Jong. My only weakness...

I have up to Hedningen's Week 1 submission posted in the second post. If you need to adjust your word counts, feel free to edit your posts originally (as I am lazy, and wish to just have the hyperlinks to the posts be simple). The idea of "Best Post of the Week" prizes has been thrown around, and I do like the idea. I'll be figuring out exactly what to give away (as one of the people I reached out to I need to reach out to). It'll probably be something anime related (as he's a convention chair at several conventions here in Texas).

So: starting after the cut-off for Week 1 Submissions, I'll be picking which participant had my favorite Ad Copy. If you have a cool logo? It'll increase your chances. I'm at a game store, and browsing titles. Sell me on your game!
What will you get if you have the best post? Either a to be decided, but would be shipped domestically or something anime that I could give you digitally.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Strikers [NG+]

The Dark Lord has been defeated. The ritual has been stopped. Dragons have been slain, princesses have been saved, treasures have been looted. You and your companions struggled long and hard to reach here, but you’ve done it. You have saved the world.

But that was yesterday! Today, you can go find a new adventure in Strikers [NG+]! Explore a fantasy world of your own creation as the adventurers who just saved it! Grow stronger based on your past accomplishments! But remember, no one defeats the Dark Lord and gets away without a few wounds to show for it. Here’s hoping the scars from your last adventure don’t spell the end of this one…

But what kind of hero has ever let a few old wounds stop them! Grab your dice and Strike Forth!

Strikers [NG+] is based on Cortex+ Action and is intended for 3 to 5 players.
---
Like I said in the pitch, I'm basing this off of Cortex+. The main hook is that you begin with a basic statline and build your stats higher and higher by describing things you did in your previous adventures as you play, but every time you do so you risk retroactively gaining a Scar from the old battles you just described. There's more to it than that, but it's a good place to start.

This is a great start, but could you add more words to your ad blurb as you work on the game this week? It needs to be 150 words.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I, uh, included the italicized bit as the blurb when I was writing it. I just, uh, italicized it for aesthetic reasons and then put the --- after it to try to signify that it was supposed to be part of it? Even if it is kind of a weird cheaty workaround to make it hit the 150 word limit because I didn't have a better way to insert another sentence into the main paragraphs without making it sound more forced than including a bit of closing small text.

Oh. That's fine then. Carry On!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

So, the OP mentions something about Late Passes and implies that they can be used even for missing the sign up deadline? If so, I think I'd like to get in on this. Sorry for not signing up on time; I haven't been super-active in TG lately, but I'm trying to change that. I actually didn't know about this thing until a little while ago.

Never too late for Romance.

K Prime posted:

Crap crap crap the month I forget to check this stuff because I'm busy working

Late pass, please?

Freeze! You're under Police and / or Organized Crime!

Just remember to submit a 150 word Ad Copy and a 150 word fanfic on your genre (Ad Copy must be exact, the fanfic must be at least 150 words).

EDIT: OH, and the modifier you both need to use is Sequel Series.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Are there other modifiers in the works?

No, but people had thought there would be multiple modifiers in play. Since both are needed, I'm making sure that anyone who enters late has both pointed out to them.

Roland Jones posted:

Ahahaha, crap, you've given me one of the few genres I'm not so familiar/good with.

Okay, time to draw on Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, JiWaWaWa, and other stuff, because I don't think I could pull this one off playing it straight. (Cooking anime are my other weakness here, and something I've actually seen none of apart from watching a bit of Sweetness and Lightning and I guess technically reading Toriko (and the infamous HxH panel), so I probably won't use the mystery box.)

Look back a few pages for a free trial of Crunchyroll to help out.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

Having some trouble with the setting. See, Shonen includes tons of settings. Tons. It's hard to even boil them down to a set number because, when you try, you hit an exception that's hyper popular almost immediately. I mean, Shonen, technically, runs the gauntlet from One Piece to Jojos as Shueshia Battle comics are pretty general as it is basically the Japanese Superhero Genre.

My current decision is to avoid doing a "not-" setting, as in "Not-Naruto", and just take a genre and make it a Shueshia battles kind of story. After all, that's kind of how it works. One Piece is shueshia battle pirates, Naruto is shueshia battle ninjas, Hero Academia is shueshia battle superheroes, Dragonball is shueshia battle martial artists, etc, etc. Yes, this is an over-generalization, but it's not far from fact. It seems most comic artists take a kind of story they want to and the setting itself isn't a limiting factor. In the sense that they won't go "can't do that, it's not shonen enough" because they can turn it shueshia battle comics enough.

Because I'm replaying Mass Effect 2, probably will so Sci Fi.

That sounds pretty anime. Go for it.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

That's 300 words. Too much?

Yeah. Find the 150 words you feel best sell the game and use them. I do really like that concept though.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

GUNS!

For thousands of years, the galaxy has been caught in endless wars. Powerful psychic mercenaries known as GUNS were formed to fuel the endless war machine.

20 years ago, a young GUNS rebelled and united the galaxy.

Now, the Alliance keeps the peace. The GUNS program has changed into a schooling system.

As the children of the legendary GUNS who formed the Alliance, you can see them falling into the failings of the old world.

It’s time for a new age of young GUNS to save the galaxy!

GUNS is a tabletop roleplaying game inspired by Shonen battle manga. It is a game meant to bring high valor combat, flashy moves, and friendship to your gaming table.
  • Rules for making your campaign feel just like your favorite battle manga!
  • A system that makes you feel like you’re growing powerful!
  • A game that supports and rewards awesome and valorous roleplaying

---

There we go: 150 words, including the title.

I updated the link for you.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

What link?

I had saved the second post to post the participants and their submissions each week. I changed the link I had for your Week 1 to your shorter description.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Soundninja I put a less lovely logo on my submission!

Hedningen posted:

Yeah, I added a lovely logo to mine. Pretty basic stuff, but this is an exciting contest.

YOUR WISHES SHALL BE GRANTED, as soon as I get the chance to sit at the computer.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Okay, I think I'm caught up. Anyone mind checking and letting me know if there is anything I am missing?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Upon further thought I probably shouldn't have put my name on this at the same time I've been looking for jobs. So at this point I'll have to formally drop out, but I'll still hope to work on things nonetheless by the parameters given. :(

Best of luck to you, my friend. Or break legs. Whichever one works for you...

EDIT: I've removed you from the list of participants, to thin it out a bit.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 30, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

Hey TheSoundNinja, do my Punk elements have to be explicitly Cyber?

You have the Transhumanism angle covered pretty well, as the virus changing people and offering an opportunity to be more than human (albeit, as a demon) is doing that in a way that may or may not be cyberpunk.

Considering your genre was Cyberpunk and / or Transhumanism, I think you're fine as you have one covered.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I just saw this thread but this is amazing.

Imagine how I feel judging it. All of these sound awesome, and I cannot tell you how I'm going to narrow down the top 8. Only time will tell, and it'll be drat close.

So, I've added some of the clarifications that have come up since I added the genre recommendation lists a few days ago. I've updated logos and Week 1 posts up to EscortMission's "Keepsake: Magnificant Soldier's Lineage".

Also, there were no PnP Mah Jong decks out there. Which is bullshit, because Hedningen's "Burning Fires of Youth!!! The Demon Lord's Return!" needs a Mah Jong set (cards or tiles) for its mechanics. So, gently caress it: I made one myself using the Public Domain tile images on Wikipedia. Whoever playtests it, or is interested in the game in general, there ya go.

EDIT: And since some of you are using Cortex+, or could just use these for whatever you're working on, here's an album of dice icons I made that are public domain.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 1, 2017

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

:sad: And I'm here without any knowledge of how to do photoshop.

Edit: not the emoticon I wanted...

Yet hilarious. Anyone have any suggestions for good tutorial sites?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Bliss Authority posted:

I regret that I saw this three days too late to join.

Ganbatte y'all, I'm looking forward to seeing how anime and/or good these games get.

PS: Two excellent cooking manga well worth mentioning for inspiration:

1: Iron Wok Jan, which managed to include a tournament arc in a story about cooking and includes three pages of people freaking out about the secret ingredient being lotus roots.

2: Oishinbo, a sedate slice of life story that's ostensibly about THE GREATEST FOOD COLUMN IN THE JAPANESE NEWSPAPER INDUSTRY but is really just about 'Fun Facts About Cooking that you, an average foodie, probably didn't know."

ETA: If it's not too late to get a late pass, consider this post my running up to the classroom with toast in my mouth.

Get ready to dodge: you've been assigned Shonen. Don't forget about the modifier, and include a fanfic of at least 150 words to claim your Late Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Covok posted:

:sad: And I'm here without any knowledge of how to do photoshop.

Edit: not the emoticon I wanted...

I found a thing on my favorite "I wanna learn / make a thing" site, LifeHacker that may be of interest to anyone looking to learn how to use Photoshop and software like it in a short amount of time.

• Locked thread