Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I'm also tentatively throwing my hat into the ring here. Have I ever made an RPG that's actually good? No. Will I probably just make a basic Cortex+ game because I've been dying to make something using that system for as long as it's existed? Yes. Will I flake? I certainly hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to object to giving people time to figure out their genres. If people make bad games, it shouldn't be because they didn't know what they were aiming for.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Oh, hey. I got the genre whose seminal works are literally based on the creators' D&D campaigns. I... really hope I get an interesting modifier, because right now I'm kind of salty over getting the most generic RPG prompt possible

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Error 404 posted:

If its allowed and you are super unhappy, Id be willing to trade you.

TheSoundNinja posted:

Mushi-shi and Monster Musume are examples of fantasy that aren't just D&D. If this is too generic, I can offer something a little different to anyone unsatisfied with their genre. I have a backup that didn't wind up on the list.

I appreciate the offers, but after a bit more thought I'm basically fine with it. I'm still a bit salty about it, don't get me wrong, but it's still just salt.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Strikers [NG+]

The Dark Lord has been defeated. The ritual has been stopped. Dragons have been slain, princesses have been saved, treasures have been looted. You and your companions struggled long and hard to reach here, but you’ve done it. You have saved the world.

But that was yesterday! Today, you can go find a new adventure in Strikers [NG+]! Explore a fantasy world of your own creation as the adventurers who just saved it! Grow stronger based on your past accomplishments! But remember, no one defeats the Dark Lord and gets away without a few wounds to show for it. Here’s hoping the scars from your last adventure don’t spell the end of this one…

But what kind of hero has ever let a few old wounds stop them! Grab your dice and Strike Forth!

Strikers [NG+] is based on Cortex+ Action and is intended for 3 to 5 players.
---
Like I said in the pitch, I'm basing this off of Cortex+. The main hook is that you begin with a basic statline and build your stats higher and higher by describing things you did in your previous adventures as you play, but every time you do so you risk retroactively gaining a Scar from the old battles you just described. There's more to it than that, but it's a good place to start.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

This is a great start, but could you add more words to your ad blurb as you work on the game this week? It needs to be 150 words.

I, uh, included the italicized bit as the blurb when I was writing it. I just, uh, italicized it for aesthetic reasons and then put the --- after it to try to signify that it was supposed to be part of it? Even if it is kind of a weird cheaty workaround to make it hit the 150 word limit because I didn't have a better way to insert another sentence into the main paragraphs without making it sound more forced than including a bit of closing small text.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

So, I could link the Google Doc I'm using to rough out my ideas in here. I'm not because I'm entirely too anxious about doing that, so instead you all get a quick explanation of Strikers [NG+]'s main stats and unique mechanic.

There are two sets of main stats, the same as most Cortex+ games. The first set is your Drives, why you're doing whatever you're doing. They are Glory (you're trying to make yourself or something else look better), Wealth (you're trying to get money or other material goods), Passion (you're doing this for love, or revenge, or any other similarly intense feeling), Knowledge (you're trying to understand something better) and Justice (you're trying to do The Right Thing). The second is Attributes (name subject to change), which are how you're doing this. They are Might (using pure force), Cunning (dirty tricks, sneaking around and knowing when to run), Will (gritting your teeth and refusing to stop), Skill (precise applications of your abilities) and [b]Charm]/b] (talking your way into and out of situations).

Now if you don't know how Cortex+ works, here's a quick explanation before I continue: The short version is that each stat is rated at a die size between d4 and d12. When you do something that requires rolling, you take the most relevant stat from each set plus any other relevant qualities that has a die rating attached to it and roll them all together in one pool. You take the two dice with the highest rolled results and add them together, and that's your total. However, any 1s you roll give your GM an opportunity to give you a complication at the price of giving you one Plot Point. So, if you're trying to steal a key to your lover's cell off the dark lord's belt, your dice pool is going to be Passion d8, Cunning d10, and an additional d6 from doing this in the middle of an Extravagant Festival d6. Then, if you roll a 2, a 7 and a 3 the final total is going to 10.

Now, back to my game. Everyone starts each season of Strikers [NG+] with relatively low Attributes for one specific reason. Before any roll, you can flash back to the previous season when you did something impressive with that stat. You can then add that stat to your roll three times instead of one (3d6 instead of d6) and you permanently step up that stat one die size. However, if any of those dice come up as a 1 the GM can give you a permanent Scar instead of taking an opportunity. Scars are things like Wanted: Dead Or Alive or Wasting Illness or Injured Sword Arm, and they're the ongoing consequences of what you did in that flashback that you can't quite shake. When your Scars would hinder an action you're taking, you add a d4 to your dice pool and the GM gives you a plot point.

Of course, all of this is subject to change. I might adjust how hard it is to get a Scar, I might rephrase some of the names, all that. All I got to do now is make a bunch of talents for people to take and rewrite basically the entire Cortex+ Action ruleset for the final pdf. Part of this is interesting, part of this is easy but incredibly boring and I'm dreading it utterly. You can guess which part is which.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Do you want a rough, finished-enough draft of Strikers [NG+]? How about the rather essential premade characters I made for playtesting? Well, here you go.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

DNA Cowboys posted:

[DROP REDACTED]

Edit: Nevermind. I misread the rules. Turns out I just need to playtest one other game, which I can totally do tomorrow. That game will be Strikers NG+. I'm cancelling the absolute destiny apocalypse.

Yikes. I hope everything works out! More games should include recipes.

So, I already have a playtest trade going with Antivehicular, but I'm not going to say no to more playtesting. Either I'll get Antivehicular to playtest your game instead or I'll just get a second playtest together this week.

Also, a few more things to note for playtesting: The base system doesn't need much testing since it's built on a premade system, so focus more on Callbacks and Scars. Maybe boost them up between scenes to see how things go with, say, three Callbacks and three scars or all Callbacks used and no scars or whatever combinations you want to go with. Also, any thoughts on how drives and methods feel in-play would be appreciated.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alright. I promised to playtest From Hell's Heart, and so I have. We honestly only got through a bit less than half of the game in total because we just weren't really feeling it tonight, but we still played enough to get some thoughts together on the game, and you can find the full logs here.

On a whole, it felt pretty unguided. We knew the scenes were supposed to be short, but we didn't really get a feel for how they were supposed to go. Do we have a back and forth conversation, or do we just do the basic "Person A establishes the scene, Person B resolves stuff"? Because it feels like there should be more direction and guidance here than just "do some freeform RP", but there kind of isn't. I'm not saying more mechanics, necessarily. Just more direction and a better idea of what a scene should look like in the first place.

The one combat we did kind of had the same problem but worse. We didn't know how in-depth to go with the RPing and there were enough mechanics to make it feel like we should have more guidance than "Person A establishes, Person B resolves" but not enough to give us that guidance. Also, it's worth mentioning that some form of codified stake-setting would probably be useful. It can be purely fiction-based if you want, but it's hard to pick between getting creative control at a cost and losing when what happens when you lose isn't really known beforehand.

As one last note, this didn't really get tested because we kind of ran out of steam after one fight scene and didn't bother continuing because ARB had a full playtest too, but I don't really get why the Enemy would spend a Sacrifice or Frenzy token. Well, I do in theory. It's just that I have narrative control of the start of every fight, and I have narrative control of the end of every fight unless someone takes it from me, and there's nothing about what happens in between besides the vague sense that we'll be RPing stuff. If I want a bad thing to happen, I could just... have a bad thing happen while I have narrative control. There doesn't feel like there's any particular reason to spend a token to take narrative control when I'm just getting it back anyway during the next fight scene. It's weird, and I still don't really get it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

(which may as well be the same thing, they have the exact same effect)

Personally, I appreciated Frenzy and Sacrifice tokens being different, just because they gave a bit of guidance on what succeeding at a cost looks like for the Pilot and Robot. Still, you could definitely differentiate their uses a bit.

However, that plus your Robot sheet does make me remember another problem my playtest had. Namely, a really easy Value to come up with is wanting the Pilot to be self-sacrificing and willing to tough things out and etc, which makes things really difficult when you're trying to figure out if an action should cause you to take a Sacrifice token or count as fulfilling the Robot's self-sacrificing Value. It almost feels like you accidentally powergamed when you take a Value like that, only instead of being more powerful you get to make a judgement call that could legitimately go either way and it's just not something I'd want to think about.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Guess who' has two thumbs and was too anxious to look at their playtest notes until just now!

DNA Cowboys posted:

Strikers NG+ playtest notes are complete. We could have dug into the Callbacks more, but it was a fun session. My players did get pretty lucky at avoiding Scars, so they mostly picked up benefits. Based on their comments though, they still regarded Callbacks as a risk/reward situation. As a result, they were playing conservatively to avoid tempting fate.

That said, if we were able to play a second session (the interest is there, but it wouldn't be until the weekend of the 10th...) they're comfortable enough with the system that at least one of them would probably make some rash callbacks.

It's good to know most of the complaints were about my rushed, incredibly cut down Cortex+ Action write-up and a sub-par sheet layout instead of a fundamental flaw in the stats or anything like that. I'm definitely going to need to have more player and GM advice, though. Also add slightly more info to the character sheet, despite my lack of layout skills and general lack of editing tools in Google Docs.

Anyway, I'm not going to say no to a second playtest. Sure, it's basically right before the deadline, but I'm an anxious weirdo who's probably going to procrastinate like hell so you might get any potential feedback in before I finalize things. Besides, it's heartening that you'd want to do a second session in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Do you want some more hot Strikers [NG+] action? I sure hope so, because you're about to get some! Here is the final draft, with a character sheet and premade characters to go with it. (None of them are pdfs, but that hopefully isn't a problem.)

• Locked thread