Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Signing up! So down for this! I need an excuse to get back into things! I don't know why I'm using exclamation points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Sweet. That actually sounds pretty awesome. Oh, by the way, do we get a mulligan on our genre if we get one that we've never seen before? Like, for example, I've never sat down to watch an anime sports series in my life and don't have the time to watch one for research. So, if I get that one, it'd be a little hard to work with. Or is that against the spirit of the contest?

Oh, also, when do the first 8 get their genres?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am in favor of releasing it early for research purposes, yes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

Covok: Shonen

Seriously, I couldn't have gotten a better one. I know this genre inside and out. gently caress, I've worked on a game for this before that I never released and was just working on a One Piece Fate hack. Obviously, I can't use it, but all the research is already done.

Seriously,

Covok
May 27, 2013

I might be screwing myself since the modifier hasn't been added, but I've already started building my game. It uses what I assume to be an original system so far. It's odd, though. Like, really weird. It probably will suck to when its complete, but I suppose we shall see.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm kind of doubling down on the troupe of young, hot-blooded dream driven heroes face a great threat together through friendship, effort, and victory. I'm doubling down on the "narrow focus is the best for game design" and kind of keeping things to shows with similar setups like Naruto, One Piece, Hero Academia, and Bleach. Yeah, I know Bleach wasn't that great, but it is a good source for the kind of things I've decided to focus on. Trying to focus on a few things:
  • Ensure heroes and villains are within the themes of Shueshia battle comics
  • Give a feeling of power and progression
  • Keep it simple because this is a contest and I only got a month
  • Enforce the narrative rules of the genre
  • Enforce the arc structure of these kinds of stories

My main worry is that the core mechanic's formula might be a pain and that my choice of dice pools might gently caress me from a math standpoint. Like, while the "Generals get the same Power Level as the number of Arcs completed and Big Bads get that number +1 as their Power Level" should equal out with "Power Level goes up for every character per arc completed" but it gets weird in extreme.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

Perhaps have a mechanic for increasing the difficulty of the subsequent arcs based on the weird power antics of the PCs? I like the concept, the challenge is how to rope in "Shonen Power Creep" to actually be a mechanic.

My current solution is that the game is a dice pool system where power level is always added so pools contiously ger biggee and crazier.

Also, will get ad blurb up soon. Just saw we're on that stage now. Also, didn't realize we were making settings too. Guess I'll work that in with the modifer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Having some trouble with the setting. See, Shonen includes tons of settings. Tons. It's hard to even boil them down to a set number because, when you try, you hit an exception that's hyper popular almost immediately. I mean, Shonen, technically, runs the gauntlet from One Piece to Jojos as Shueshia Battle comics are pretty general as it is basically the Japanese Superhero Genre. I mean, gently caress, Yu-Gi-Oh! is shonen battle trad games!

My current decision is to avoid doing a "not-" setting, as in "Not-Naruto", and just take a genre and make it a Shueshia battles kind of story. After all, that's kind of how it works. One Piece is shueshia battle pirates, Naruto is shueshia battle ninjas, Hero Academia is shueshia battle superheroes, Dragonball is shueshia battle martial artists, etc, etc. Yes, this is an over-generalization, but it's not far from fact. It seems most comic artists take a kind of story they want to and the setting itself isn't a limiting factor. In the sense that they won't go "can't do that, it's not shonen enough" because they can turn it shueshia battle comics enough.

Because I'm replaying Mass Effect 2, probably will so Sci Fi.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 29, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

GUNS!

For thousands of years, the galaxy has been caught in endless wars. Powerful psychic mercenaries known as GUNS (Genetically Upgraded Neural Soldiers) were formed to fuel the endless war machine. These War Orphans were trained in brutal academies, went through grueling tournaments, and factionalized into small teams all to go to war and die.

20 years ago, a young GUNS rebelled against the order of things with the support of his team, his friends. Believing galactic society could live in harmony like his team did, he fought against the machinations continuing this war and united the galaxy.

Now, the Alliance keeps the peace and shows the galaxy a new way. The GUNS program has changed into a schooling system for young talented individuals. Academies, tournaments, and teams are now ways to help the many species grow together, face adversity as a team, and learn to live in peace.

As the children of the legendary GUNS who formed the Alliance, your lives are very different from the rest of Alliance civilizations. These heroes are the same people who make you breakfast. You can see them falling into the failings of the old world as they fail to recognize the troubles breaking the Alliance apart.

It’s time for a new age of young GUNS to save the galaxy!

GUNS is a tabletop roleplaying game inspired by Shonen battle manga. It is a game meant to be played with friends and bring high valor combat, flashy moves, and a sense of power, progression, and friendship. It’s all about playing in your very own Japanese battle manga!
  • A fun, light, and versatile system for character creation and combat
  • Rules for making your campaign feel just like your favorite battle manga!
  • A system that encourages creativity and makes you feel like you’re growing powerful!

---

That's 300 words. Too much?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, got this:

Transformations are called Reloads:

First Reload, the Pistol, gives you a gaseous aura of a particular colors and awakens a unique psychic power. Your general control of base psychic powers also increases as do your physical capabilities.

Second Reload, the Rifle, gives you ephemeral aura of your color and strengths your unique psychic power to its next logical conclusion. You become tougher in addition to the benefits of the First Reload.

Third Reload, the RPG, gives you an ephemeral mecha suit of your color and brings your unique power to its logical extreme, within reason. It becomes harder to hit your inside your ephemeral suit, alongside the benefits of the previous Reloads.

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

Yeah. Find the 150 words you feel best sell the game and use them. I do really like that concept though.

GUNS!

For thousands of years, the galaxy has been caught in endless wars. Powerful psychic mercenaries known as GUNS were formed to fuel the endless war machine.

20 years ago, a young GUNS rebelled and united the galaxy.

Now, the Alliance keeps the peace and the GUNS program has changed into a schooling system.

As the children of the legendary GUNS who formed the Alliance, you can see them falling into the failings of the old world.

It’s time for a new age of young GUNS to save the galaxy!

GUNS is a tabletop roleplaying game inspired by Shonen battle manga. It is a game meant to bring high valor combat, flashy moves, and friendship to your gaming table.
  • Rules for making your campaign feel just like your favorite battle manga!
  • A system that makes you feel like you’re growing powerful!
  • A game that supports and rewards awesome and valorous roleplaying

---

There we go: 150 words, including the title.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 30, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

I updated the link for you.

What link?

Covok
May 27, 2013

gnome7 posted:

The logo game in this thread is extremely strong, dang.

:sad: And I'm here without any knowledge of how to do photoshop.

Edit: not the emoticon I wanted...

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 31, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheSoundNinja posted:

Yet hilarious. Anyone have any suggestions for good tutorial sites?

I'm 50/50 on contact the guy (or someone new because he's doing a KS) I normally call on to do these things for me. The question is if I want to spend the money.

Antivehicular posted:

I just used Cooltext, but to be fair, mine is not one of the actually good logos in this contest, so y'know.

Cooltext?

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm going to one-up this requirement, TheSoundNinja. I'm using googledocs to write things up so you can just keep track of things here.

So, first off, you might notice the name and the genericism. Well, the second I got Shonen, I immediately started writing and didn't realize we were expected to have a setting. I was expecting the modifier to be "extreme violence" or something like that, not "sequel." Not that that's a problem and I've already worked out how to make all this work. As you can see then, the document is for my original idea, pre-modifier, of a generic shonen system.

It's incomplete, but not far off from being done. I just need to finish the Arc section, do chargen, and give some GM advice. I plan on finishing this draft treating it like the engine to make Gunz proper. Just seems easier that way.

It might look dull, but the Arc system is where this baby is gonna stand out. Especially with the inclusion of alternate Acts to slot in to keep things fresh.

Some planned changes from Fight, Train; Fight, Train to GUNZ:
  • A legacy fact added to chargen
  • You make a second character alongside your own that is the one whose footsteps you're following in (your father, your mother, etc.) with this person being the hero from the "previous anime"
  • A different combat system based off a simplified Exalted 3rd Edition just because I think that might be interesting (original is left in as alt rules)
  • Brief overview of the setting
  • And More

Covok
May 27, 2013

I should be able to make the due date, but, if they need me to pull 8 on Saturday (distinct possibility), I'll have to take a late pass. Keep you posted.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My Rough Draft Is In!

Alright, here is my rough draft. I got that "I forgot something" feel so don't be shocked if this gets updated in the next few hours, but it should be good to go for playtesting.

If you don't want to download or use dropbox, here is the googledocs file I edited.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 20, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, I know not everyone is in yet, but, who wants to swap games? I'll playtest your game if you playtest mine.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Hey Covok, have you found someone to playtest trade with? My group is up for a game this week.

Are you on the Discord? It might be easier to co-ordinate there.

At work so I don't think I go on Discord. My group is already down with the idea of playtesting this week. So, I think we can swap. Talk more when I get more...whenever I do.*

*Accountant Life Problems

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Cool, I'll start reading over your game now. Thanks!

One problem you're going to notice is, for better or worse, the game is built for the long game. Like, the big thing I'm resting its appeal on is the Arc System which is explicitly a multi-session thing. Obliviously, I don't expect you to run a full Arc as it would run about 5ish sessions, but I'm just trying to say that it is a big of impediment for short term play testing.

Essentially, the gist is that campaigns are broken up into acts with each act having its own special rules and flow of play to create a narrative arc. The current draft has only one of each type of Act, the final veirsions would shoot for a lot of alternates to avoid monotony. But, yeah, the basic idea is the game's structure and flow changes on where in the Shonen story arc you are and that is basically what I'm hoping makes the game appealing.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 20, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Sorry Covok, I probably won't be able to playtest your game until next week. If I can get to it sooner I'll let you know.

No problem. Don't worry about it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Out of curiosity, how many people are still in the compettition?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

GUNS! Playtest notes 1

We went with hotfixes, and tried out a few different variations of rules as we played. I was the GM and had three other players, a Protagonist and two Supporting Heroes. We did a truncated run of Act 1, with a few combats and ending with a fight with a General.

We liked the collaborative character creation, but found that creating Generals and the Big Bad can cut into the session time. Combat was generally enjoyable, with the players getting into describing how their Facts helped their actions. As a GM it didn't seem like I had much to do beyond informing them of success or failure.

Some of the specific questions we came up against during the session are below.

Player Characters:

Do the Archetypes have to be chosen from a list, or can they be created wholesale?

Enemy Creation:

Are these characters meant to be created before hand, or at the same time as the Shonen Heroes?

The text mentions both Minions and Underlings. Are these the same type of character, or are they supposed to refer to different things?

Tension:

We tried out spending Tension both before and after a roll, which did you plan its use around?

When gaining Tension with a quirk, is the point added before or after the player takes their action?

Complications:

We weren't sure when exactly Complications were supposed to be applied. If a Complication is applied after every action, it seems like there's no point to trying to Maneuver. We had Complications get added when the player rolled no successes on an action. When are they supposed to be applied?

Facts:

Is there a way for a character to use another's facts against them, or are facts only used by the character that has them?

One player tried to make a narrative "attack" against the opponent. Is it possible to learn about an NPC's facts in-character?

Can Arena Facts be invoked by anyone, or only by PCs?

Bursts:

A player suggested using a Burst out of turn. Doing so makes it incredibly powerful, are they meant to be able to interrupt another's turn?

Act 1:

Does the 'boss bonus' apply to a General's power level?

We were planning to meet up again and try another Arc, I'll post notes from that if we have it. Covok, does this help? I'll clarify if you have any questions. TheSoundNinja, is this good for the playtest requirement?

Also, were you able to run Exceed Zeta?

Let me respond one by one here.

Glad you liked character creation. I never imagined Generals and the Big Bad as something you'd all make together. I always thought of it as pre-game work by the GM. I guess I never made that clear.

Hmm, I didn't consider GM disengagement during combat. I'll have to consider those things.

Player archetypes coming from a list was an idea at some point that I kind of forgot to implement. I probably will in a later draft as there was supposed to be a list for the protag and for the supporting cast to keep things genre-centric. Chalk that one up for me forgetting to implement that feature fully thus causing the confusion.

Before hand was the intention.

That is an updating error. They refer to the same thing and I just missed changing every instance.

Hmm, I never considered the Order of operations on that. Which felt better, since you tried both?

I assumed you'd get the Tension after rolling.

That's a good point on complications. Should have made Maneuvers immune to that so that had a purpose. They are supposed to be applied every roll to give the GM something to do and make the battle dynamic and put the bad guys at a slight advantage.

Hadn't thought of that. Currently, no, but maybe they should be. That could be very interesting with some kind of "Counter" action. Works really well with the Shonen Trope of using their weaknesses against them.

Sure, that can be a thing. The finding out NPCs facts in-character thing.

Arena facts can be invoked by anyone.

Bursts, like all actions, are assumed to be only used on their own turn.

Yep, applies to the General's Power Level.

--

Yep, this helps alot! And, seriously, thanks for being willing to do another.

We're going to run a playtest of Exceed, hopefully, in 6 minutes. One guy said he couldn't make it and one of the others hasn't signed in yet. But, the plan was to do it at 7 tonight instead of our normal game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

Using Tension before hand for a big handful of dice seemed to be more in tune with how it should go, given that you have the Gun Trick to allow rerolls. Speaking of Gun Tricks, have you considered either letting it reroll any number of dice or letting players get more than one? It seems a little weak to only be able to reroll one die once per combat.

One thing I missed, do Archetypes count as Facts?

Yep, Archetypes count as facts.

Also, that was probably poor writing on my part. The intent was to reroll any number of dice they wanted. That was the intent, I probably wrote the rule wrong.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Here are the playtest notes.

I am currently trying to get the playtest recording up on youtube.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I was trying to get this on youtube without the video, but it just didn't work so here is the mp3 of the playtest.

And, once again, here are the playtest notes.

Alright, Spaceninja, both me and Agent Rush have had our games playtested now. We both pass this leg of the contest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I am just geninely curious what you meant by "gravity is lost on me"? Like, I didn't follow what you meant by that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, yo, Agent Rush, I just want to confirm that you weren't offended by anything in that recording. I know we can be a little blunt at times and I hope you didn't take offense.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

GUNS Playtest Notes 2

Hey Covok, we got the chance to play Act 2. I told the players about Archetypes being Facts, that Gun Tricks let them reroll any number of dice, and that Manuevers were immune to Complications. They definitely appreciated that.

Here's some of the questions that came up during the game:

Act 2:

The difficulty for the checks at the end of the scenes seems really high, is the intention that players will only partially meet their goals? We tried it out RAW and all the players failed every check by at least three successes. The math as it stands requires either 100% successes on seven dice, or multiple 10s on four or more dice.

We also tried out setting the difficulty as the number of successes needed by the end of the three scenes, but found that we needed to raise the successes required as they reached the goal by the second scene.

Can you use your Gun Trick during the goal scenes? We tried both being able to once per scene and once per goal (three scenes). The latter seemed to fit better, giving the player a chance to recover without making the scenes trivial.

Can you spend Tension on these rolls?

If the Power Level Increase is supposed to be unlikely to succeed, maybe it shouldn't come right after the boosted General fight.

Misc. Suggestions:

Have you considered a Critical option for attacks, say if one side gets 5 or more successes than the other?

Is there any way for a player to reduce an opposing dice pool, or do players only increase their own?

I don't know if we'll be able to play again, I hope this helps you out. I'll clarify any points if you need me to.

So, I saw this before, but didn't have the time to respond so let me do so:

1) Thanks for doing two rounds! That was a lot more than you needed to do and it's a big help!

2) Yeah, I probably just hosed up the math on that. It isn't supposed to be that hard. Thanks for calibrating. I'll tinker with these things and see what ends up working.

3) I never considered either using Gun Tricks or Tension points. I'll give that some thought. That's one of those "forgot those interact" things.

4) Yeah, sounds like I really need to tinker with the difficulty I set up.

5) Hadn't considered it, but it is certainly something to consider.

6) So far, only the later. Never really considered the former. Well, outside of hurting your opponent's fact which, effectively, lowers their dice pool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Taking my late pass on this. Been too busy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Finishing up the final verision. Might get banned for a joke I'm making in the Trump thread. If I am, I'll ask someone on the SA TG discord to post for me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, here it goes: my final submission for the contest.

Here is the final contest version of GUNS.

Also in googledocs format.

Now then, for my late pass.

quote:

"Shut up, dad, I'm not like you!" Screamed my whiny voice, "I didn't grow up in a time when killing people was the norm, you sick murderer!"

I slammed the door and sulked on my bed. In reality, I didn't want to hurt his feelings, but, in the moment, I hoped my words hurt like a child. I was mad and lashing out. We learn a lot in school about how the GUNS brought peace to the galaxy, but it can be hard when you get older. My dad doesn't believe in propaganda, when we're old enough, we learn the truth of how things went down during the war.

To think of the smiling face and caring man who raised me as a mass-murdering psychic war machine is sickening. I know he put an end to that cycle, I know I would have turned out the same if he didn't, but it's hard now not to see the blood on his hands when I look at him. He may be a doting father now, but I know that, no matter what, he killed people when the GUNS were still weapons of war, it's hard to reconcile.

Stuff like that comes rushing to my head constantly as I fly in this ship. The Alliance is about peaceful discourse, that's what they fought for. We don't have to fight to make peace anymore, we just debate. That's how it should be, but, as long as the Emperor is gaining ground in the Outer Sectors, how can I stand by?

My father did horrible things to unite the galaxy and allow for peace. Now, these anti-GUNS extremist and their fascist government threaten that. My dad is trying to keep to peace or is at least being held back by Alliance politics, but I can't let that lead to our ruin.

The galaxy is at war, even if no one wants to admit it yet. I may have to kill like my father did and be seen with horror and disgust like my dad was by me.

If that protects what my father sacrificed for and what my kids will inherit, then so be it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This was a pretty loving legit competition. Had some fun with the idea. Shocked I managed to make it all during busy season. Good luck to everyone else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, this was amazing. Best of luck to the finalists, and I hope the podcast recording goes well, TSN!

Just want to make sure, you know you're a finalist, right?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

I'm aware, but good luck to everyone, you know? I'm really looking forward to seeing these games shine.

Oh, just wanted to be sure. The way you worded it make me...nevermind, I was being stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

What's the one more game you added to your rotation?

• Locked thread