Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip tells me to enter this anime contest!

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TheSoundNinja posted:

Your hand turns to you and says "Well, how about those Slice of Life animes?"

Awesome, I can totally work with this. Just got to look through Ryuutama again, watch me some Patlabor, lightly season with Fruits Basket and garnish with a dash of Natsume Yuujinchou...

So for Slice of Life I can aim for a relaxed feeling instead of relying on the "school hijinks" segment of the genre right? Like take Patlabor for example. It's technically a Real Robot/Police series, but it's super low-key most of the time and focused on the daily lives of the characters. You'd be hard pressed to say it's not slice-of-life in spirit. And I mean...it's one of my favorite shows and I wanna put its influences in my silly anime RPG :v:

I completely understand if incorporating that kinda thing steps on other genres' toes too much.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TheSoundNinja posted:

In all the editing of a pancake party trailer for a client, I totally missed your question! Thousand pardons, my friend.

In what way can you shape the mechanics to encourage that feeling? I love the way PbtA games use their experience point questions to encourage and celebrate players embracing the tenants and feel of the genre they are going for.

Slice of Life could be used in these other genres, but the relationship dynamic and interaction with the world as a whole (and how that affects the characters) would make your game your assigned genre rather than something else.

Does that help?

It does, yes. After doing some thinking I guess the core feeling you'd get out of Slice of Life is a kind of episodic-ness. Each part isn't dramatically connected to the next, doesn't shake the foundations of reality, etc. Instead they're more meandering, filled with loose ends and time to smell the roses. You know, like real life. And it all comes together into a sort of "status quo". If a show can get battles with criminal mecha-pilots or conflicts with ancient youkai to feel like just another day in the life, that is what I'd call an accomplishment.

Incidentally, I'll def. have some mechanic for eating extended, lovingly-animated meals :v:

• Locked thread