Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Did somebody say anime?! :woop:

I mean, sure, it's not like I care but whatever. Here's a list of anime genres and a list of anime topics, if you even want them, it's not a big deal or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, it's something to consider, I was wondering what I would do if I get something I'm unfamiliar with. (Do what all RPG publishers do and fake it, I guess.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, time is a factor more than availability these days.

TheSoundNinja posted:

How would you all feel about getting your genres early (today, and whenever anyone else signs up), but getting the modifier at the start of week one?

So this would be fine!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not sure what sci-fi doesn't cover, honestly, outside of outright fantasy. It's a bit troublesome. I have some ideas but it's tough to think of something that might lead to interesting mechanics actually related to anime that isn't just... a sci-fi game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So, I have Space Adventure Cobra and Space Pirate Harlock to watch, but I figure I should drop a line if there's any other good references for old sci-fi anime based around an ridiculously competent marquee hero. How's that for ridiculously specific? Well, two out of three would be fine, too.

Mr. Fowl posted:

An important part of the cyberpunk in anime is philosophizing about transhumanism--which I will endeavor to make a mechanic in my game.

Yeah, one of the ideas I was considering under the sci-fi was Shirow: the Musing. Shoot bad terrorists and then talk about humanity's place in the world!... but I've got a different idea so far.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

What if Monsterhearts doesn't want to be happy?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You could really adjust it to other similar roles, I think. Moderators in an MMO doesn't seem like a cop show, but... :ssh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yakitate is one of my all-time favorites, I highly recommend it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TheSoundNinja posted:

Week 1: Come up with an RPG concept that will fit your Genre and uses the contest's Modifier, then post a 150 word ad-blurb that would go on the back of the corebook if it was sold in stores by February 5th at 11:59p CST.

Earth needs a hero, but space... needs a SPACE HERO!

The stars are wilder and more dangerous than anybody could have imagined, but that's why we have a SPACE HERO, strong enough to save the entire galaxy! Collaboratively create a SPACE HERO you take turns playing, along with their rotating cast of followers, acquaintances, and villains! This game features:
  • CONVICTION! A hero's beliefs and code will be tested, and change over time!
  • DANGER! Players can add trouble to the hero's adventure, and earn rewards as a result!
  • RATINGS! The new popularity system lets players choose what cast members return more often, while still providing room for surprises!
  • SEQUELS! Just because the hero's adventures are over doesn't mean it's time for an ending! The new sequel rules, exclusive to the (^^)b Edition, lets you take a member of the supporting cast and make a whole new adventure!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm currently working on things tonight, but there's no sane reason I can't post evidence of my work on Space Adventure Hero in the meantime. Open commenting is available if anybody wants to peer and mention anything, but bear in mind it's a work in progress.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I've been distracted this week by TG drama and just wasn't ahead of this. Been making some great strides today in getting it together, but I feel like I need more time to polish this into something readable and complete. I'll take my late pass.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Space Adventure Hero is ready for play, and it's awesome. The last pass is there at the top of the document, and could be worthy of a Hugo Award, if I do say so myself. And I do say so. If you're looking to make an feature film anime adaptation, just let me know via PM.

So what I'm saying is that I'm caught up and in the playtest exchange market now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Since there seems to be a little bit of confusion, the late pass I did was a fanfic at the top of my game doc.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Looking to do a playtest trade by tomorrow evening if I can, it's when my gaming group meets and we could try a thing. Sorry for the short warning on this, I've been behind on keeping up, but I figure it's best to at least try.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

I'd be willing to give this a shot, since I'd like to try out your game! Is From Hell's Heart just being a three-player going to be a problem for you?

That's hard to give a concrete answer. Technically I have four players (not including myself), but some have been out sick with the awful cold that's been making the rounds here in the Midwest. If everybody shows (unlikely, but possible) it'd be an issue but if it's three people plus myself, I can step aside and just present the playtest.

I just put in a e=mail inquiring about who's doing to be available tomorrow. Right now I'm going to be acting as if playtest is the plan, but I'll let you know if I hear different.

Davin Valkri posted:

What time is "tomorrow evening", and what time zone? I'd like to give being a villain in your game a try.

Oh, I'm referring to enlisting my tabletop group, not an online session. Not to say I wouldn't be up for something online if it falls through.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I have most of the week off for a staycation so if somebody needs an extra body to help out with something online I'd be willing to give it a shot, I'm pretty busy tomorrow (Wednesday) and Saturday until the evening. Figure I may as well toss that out there.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

I'd be willing to give this a shot, since I'd like to try out your game! Is From Hell's Heart just being a three-player going to be a problem for you?

Looks like I have a full house tonight, which is to say four players + me. Any suggestions around that?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I got your note in the middle of playtesting From Hell's Heart - my solution was to make it a dual-pilot robot and just have each pilot with 2 hopes instead of 3. That didn't impact the math any (and it all went a bit sideways anyways), and I just worked to proctor and present the game. I have the recording and the character sheets, and I'll see about getting them over tomorrow with my thoughts. But consider it tested here!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 2, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So me and my regular playgroup playtested...

A recording of the session is available here. As a warning, it's a large file at nearly 175 MB (and about two and a half hours). (Warning: contains jokes about nudist piloting and blatant IP theft of kaiju monsters.) Also, here are the pilot sheets and the robot & enemy sheets

Creating characters wasn't too troublesome, and Part 1 went relatively well. The basic structure was enough for players to work with and ham it up for awhile. Some folks struggled with finding the right time to go in and seize their prompts. Part 2 is where things really started to go off the rails. I think having to consider hopes / values in the middle of a thick back-and-forth was too much for folks and they had a much easier time grasping onto something concrete like sacrifices / frenzy, and between that and our limited time frame things went sideways in favor of mass destruction and general silliness pretty quick. (Which isn't to say it wasn't silly throughout, but silly-er.) In general I feel almost more like having some way to resolve scenes at the end where you can stop and reflect somehow on how the scene has gone might go better. I had to push for folks to do Part 3 at all, knowing that failure and world destruction were all that were left.

We were a little unclear on whether or not it was somehow possible to earn multiple tokens in a scene, and whether or not players were supposed to be aware of the tables / results from the outset or not. I think it also might help to have some uncertainty in the final scene. Similarly, I wasn't sure what spending sacrifice / frenzy tokens (which may as well be the same thing, they have the exact same effect) by the enemy really did for them either. If there were some ability for them to seize some control they don't already have, that'd be a thing. Maybe allow them to counter hope tokens, somehow, and force the robot or pilot to come up with another hope or value - or sacrifice / frenzy - to counter.

After the recording ended my players wanted to emphasize they did have fun! But it felt more like a loose RP exercise without a lot of guidance past Part 1 rather than something with a much in the way of "game" elements.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Just for edification and so I have a central place to double-check some things as I head towards a final draft.

But first:

Thanks a lot! This really helps out.

Agent Rush posted:

Hero Creation:

There should be a few examples of what defines the opposition when creating the hero.

Noted!

Agent Rush posted:

When going around the circle, does the last person give input before collating the concepts or not?

Do you mean "does the last person ask for input"?

Agent Rush posted:

Supporting Cast Creation:

How do you determine a character's initial star rating?

It should be 3; I could have sworn it was in there but I think I may have accidentally cleared it out.

Agent Rush posted:

Are players allowed to collaborate on their supporting characters?

Yes.

Agent Rush posted:

Supporting Cast Selection:

How do you determine supporting cast selection during the first episode/session?

You put them in a pile and draw and select as usual. It might simplify things to ignore the rolling for the first session, though, since characters will have the same star ratings (unless they're sidekicks).

Agent Rush posted:

One of the players suggested that people play one of their characters during the first episode to establish a baseline. Does that fit what you were going for?

That sounds fine and I'll consider it!

Agent Rush posted:

Do players keep one supporting cast character for an entire episode, or can they swap out in a new scene?

I realized I was unclear on this for the draft. In theory they hang onto them for an episode unless something happens, but I might change that.

Agent Rush posted:

If players can swap supporting characters, do their old characters go back into the pile or stay out for the episode or scene?

Tough to say, I'd have to determine how they'd go about it and then probably base it on that.

Agent Rush posted:

Scenes:

We were a bit confused by how scenes work. Is it that each roll made moves a scene closer to ending, or does the first roll end one? We tried both and felt the first option worked better.

The first!

Agent Rush posted:

After the opening scene where the villian initiates, who becomes the scene initiator? We did it so that whoever ended the previous scene initiated the next one.

I was really unclear about that, wasn't I? I originally intended whoever started it to select somebody else, but I'll keep that in mind as a possibility too.

Agent Rush posted:

Episodes:

Are episodes another name for session? One of the players raised the question of multiple episodes per session happening.

In theory an episode could encompass several sessions but ideally an episode would hopefully be session-length.

Agent Rush posted:

Is there anyway to recover Convictions or Distinctions during an episode?

Not yet.

Agent Rush posted:

Plot Points:

Do players begin with any plot points?

No.

Agent Rush posted:

Can plot points be spent to improve a roll?

No. Not to say I didn't toy with that, but adjusting scenes is already stronger than that.

Agent Rush posted:

Overall we enjoyed the game, though it feels a bit light to sustain a campaign past two or three sessions.

And that's perfectly expected, something too complicated is probably beyond the purview of a contest like this. But trying to add some sustainability or growth is something to look at in the final version.

Agent Rush posted:

Hope this helps, AlienRopeBurn! I'll try to get on later if you have any questions for me.

Got a few. If you can't answer them perfectly, that's fine, but here's some things I was curious about.
  • How did your group feel about playing supporting cast and the level of agency they have?
  • If you can recall, did your group earn or spend plot points, and if so, how and what on?
  • Similarly, do you recall what distinctions were used, or any that stood out during play or had a major impact?
  • Do you think a traditional RPG means to grow or strengthen characters would help, or would it be counterproductive?
  • Was there a particular mechanic you enjoyed? Similarly, are there any that felt annoying or cumbersome?

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 11, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Agent Rush posted:

Hope this clears things up for you!

Yep! I'll be using this to adjust and clarify things.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

... the final contest entry edition is finished, ready for downloading in indexed PDF. Yes. Indexed. I can't get the cover image to work, :psylon: but I can get the index together. So that'll do, ARB. That'll do.

Anyway, the :words: should be alright and about as nicely formatted as I've ever formatted anything, enjoy my masterwork of a space storygame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Thanks so much for all the hard work on this! It's been really interesting, and I look forward to seeing the results.

• Locked thread