Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If they redesigned her it'd be fine. Her character itself isn't bad(backstory, mindset, etc), but her proportions and design are downright offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It's fine to just think her boobs are too obscenely big but the "she's a kid" angle is lame and dismissive. Iruru acts like and is stated to be Tohru's peer in multiple respects, never a child. How do you even discern anything between her feet and toes as being something other than 'generic Cool body, but stumpier.' The dude is poo poo at anatomy and all of his strength is in expressive faces and lineart. I'm aware 'oppai loli' is a thing and that doesn't stop me from thinking the phrase and concept are dumb. Hestia can back me up here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Space Flower posted:

It's fine to just think her boobs are too obscenely big but the "she's a kid" angle is lame and dismissive. Iruru acts like and is stated to be Tohru's peer in multiple respects, never a child. How do you even discern anything between her feet and toes as being something other than 'generic Cool body, but stumpier.' The dude is poo poo at anatomy and all of his strength is in expressive faces and lineart. I'm aware 'oppai loli' is a thing and that doesn't stop me from thinking the phrase and concept are dumb. Hestia can back me up here.
she looks like an eight year old with watermelon tits with nothing but a tarp and a thong for clothing, you're essentially making the thousand-year-old-in-a-child's-body argument here

if Kyoani can modify her terrible design to be something even remotely appropriate for tv I'd be fine with her showing up but with her original design it'd be a disaster

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 26, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Her design is horrid, but the things she puts into motion are important. If they can do it without her (making another character do this, making an anime original character, etc.), that'd be good - or as the cap'n says, change her design into something... better? More appropriate?

That's if the even get far enough into the story, which they might not if they do more anime original stuff. I'd be perfectly happy with that too, as this was well-executed stuff.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What are you talking about? My favorite part of the manga was the part where the small child with beachball tits shows up and gives the protagonist a dick and has to struggle with not getting a hard on while being cuddled by her surrogate child.

What I'm saying is the manga took a loving turn and I'd be glad to just pretend none of that happened.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Glagha posted:

What are you talking about? My favorite part of the manga was the part where the small child with beachball tits shows up and gives the protagonist a dick and has to struggle with not getting a hard on while being cuddled by her surrogate child.

What I'm saying is the manga took a loving turn and I'd be glad to just pretend none of that happened.

Lol. Now I'm glad that the only CooL thing I read is Ojojojo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Glagha posted:

They can leave that part out too, I'm talking more about the whole "humans and dragons can't coexist" thing - seeing as how that plot point seems to be emphasized in the anime, it's a fairly relevant arc to have. They can trigger it with another character, ignore the weird Iruru bits, and end on a very salient "humans and dragons can coexist just fine" note.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

They can leave that part out too, I'm talking more about the whole "humans and dragons can't coexist" thing - seeing as how that plot point seems to be emphasized in the anime, it's a fairly relevant arc to have. They can trigger it with another character, ignore the weird Iruru bits, and end on a very salient "humans and dragons can coexist just fine" note.

I'd argue that that point is being made perfectly well without that character existing at all. Like, we have every episode having moments of 'haha ok I do genuinely enjoy having these dragons around but it's fuckin bonkers that they can blow up mountains and curse humans to death and have to constantly hold that stuff back to live with me'. I haven't read the source material so I don't know about this character but going by your post it sounds like she'd be useful to the story but not really needed at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I believe in KyoAni.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'd argue that that point is being made perfectly well without that character existing at all. Like, we have every episode having moments of 'haha ok I do genuinely enjoy having these dragons around but it's fuckin bonkers that they can blow up mountains and curse humans to death and have to constantly hold that stuff back to live with me'. I haven't read the source material so I don't know about this character but going by your post it sounds like she'd be useful to the story but not really needed at all.

It may be unnecessary in the anime, yeah. The anime emphasises that point much more than the manga does, so I think the manga maybe needed a character (would've been nice to have it not be this terribly designed one) to do that more than the anime does.

Hell, maybe that's why they chose to emphasize it. At any rate, I'm not gonna worry and just enjoy the show because

Nate RFB posted:

I believe in KyoAni.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
When KyoAni adapted Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, they invented a character from whole cloth (Dekomori) and she totally stole the show. It wouldn't be crazy for them to unperson Iruru.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I believe in KyoAni.

:yeah:

Also, if episode 4 adapts all the material I think it's going to Particularly the Parent's Day chapter, which involves Iruru trying and failing to get Kanna to destroy Kobayashi's work, I think that'll give us a pretty clear idea whether Iruru is ever going to show up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Glagha posted:

:stare:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

so this is how the triple thread gimmick comes to an end, rip

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HellCopter posted:

When KyoAni adapted Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, they invented a character from whole cloth (Dekomori) and she totally stole the show. It wouldn't be crazy for them to unperson Iruru.

Didn't they also invent Sleepy Senpai and Best Character Big Sister?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm sad the other threads were excised.

Have some :3:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Kanna trying to find places to fall asleep was very :kimchi:

Also I really like Lucoa's eyes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nate RFB posted:

I believe in KyoAni.

I'm not gonna worry about anything because so far the anime has been the adorable show I've been needing these days. It's so sweet. :3:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That is the most faithful and obvious depiction of Dark Souls.

This show rocks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'PAUSE'

I don't think so buster

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Fine, but the 'Mash L1 to waggle your shield' was in there.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
High-tier reference to Shadow Tower: Abyss's stamina system in the UI, too.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
This show is cute as heck.

Fafnir and Quetzalcoatl are (based on) actual dragons; are Tohru and Kanna based on any specific legends or amalgamations thereof?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Zwingley posted:

This show is cute as heck.

Fafnir and Quetzalcoatl are (based on) actual dragons; are Tohru and Kanna based on any specific legends or amalgamations thereof?

Kanna is based to some degree on the Ainu god Kanna Kamui, who doesn't have a wikipedia article but is mentioned in this one as being the god of thunder and lightning, and in other places as being one of the more powerful figures in Ainu folklore.

Not sure about Tohru, though I know any connections to Thor (whose Japanese pronunciation she shares) have been specifically denied.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Glagha posted:

...the gently caress?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tohru seems to be your bog-standard western dragon, what with the living in caves/ruins/castles, fighting with humans, and the stereotypical green scales.

That said, something about her dragon form reminds me of the big dragon from Dragon Ball Z, so who knows.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Tohru was mentioned to be named after a western author, which kind of makes you think Tolkien?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

z0glin Warchief posted:

Kanna is based to some degree on the Ainu god Kanna Kamui, who doesn't have a wikipedia article but is mentioned in this one as being the god of thunder and lightning, and in other places as being one of the more powerful figures in Ainu folklore.
The anime is an accurate representation then because Kanna is extremely powerful

edit: I wonder if a lot of anime would seem way more dumb if katakana could transliterate foreign words better

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I just started watching this and I'm confused. The dragon is working for Ms Kobayashi to repay her for some kindness, but what was that? Just for talking to her?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I just started watching this and I'm confused. The dragon is working for Ms Kobayashi to repay her for some kindness, but what was that? Just for talking to her?

She pulled a magical sword out of Tohru and saved her life. Apparently. It's really badly explained in the anime, I haven't read the manga and only really know because that's what everyone else says.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

nielsm posted:

She pulled a magical sword out of Tohru and saved her life. Apparently. It's really badly explained in the anime, I haven't read the manga and only really know because that's what everyone else says.

Yeah it's a very vague flashback kinda thing but the story is she got super drunk and stumbled on Tohru and pulled the sword out for her and then blacked out and forgot about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Kobayashi was really drunk at the time and doesn't quite remember it herself, and we're shown that moment from her perspective. So we don't really know yet. Tohru seems to think it was a pretty big deal though.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

That's it! I watched the flashback twice and somehow missed that she was the one who pulled out the sword.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm guessing they left those parts purposefully unclear for now and they'll do some kind of backstory episode later.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Not really, she was super wasted.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

The manga also took a while to go back and actually show what happened, so the anime will probably do the same.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

From what I remember reading the manga this sword was cursed to kill anyone who touches it but Kobayashi was way too drunk to care

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Not really, she was super wasted.

So wasted that she went wandering in the mountains on a whim.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Beasteh posted:

From what I remember reading the manga this sword was cursed to kill anyone who touches it but Kobayashi was way too drunk to care

Kobayashi is a very powerful drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Xelkelvos posted:

Kobayashi is a very powerful drunk/

• Locked thread