Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

When is the black-haired OL sea dragon (?) going to show up? She seems like a good character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I think soon. They've been going a bit out of order though, so who knows.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm guessing episode after next. Possibly teased next episode. She's a good friend for Kobayashi.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I somehow missed that the human girl with the fivehead has a straight up spotlight reflection coming off it when I first watched. She better be a reoccurring character since she's in the opening and all because she's the best human not named Kobayashi

I was not expecting that gag and it made me laugh and I am glad they added it in. This adaptation is great and I hope it never stops.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

this is the real reason symphogear will never get a dub

But how do you ham up some engrish in in english?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
When do I get the New Game crossover? Obviously with "Chorogon" , it would make total sense that Ahogon would be somewhere right? Right?

But seriously, this show gets better each week I think. The first half of the latest one was just like :3:

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
With the dub stuff, unfortunately the area the dub was made in could have a slight effect on that. Texas, as everyone knows, is the epicenter of fair portrayal of gay characters. But I've always believed that, if you are going to enter a media or production focused job, you should at the very least take some base level media training so that you don't make your company look bad when you respond to fans.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I somehow missed that the human girl with the fivehead has a straight up spotlight reflection coming off it when I first watched. She better be a reoccurring character since she's in the opening and all because she's the best human not named Kobayashi

She's gay as gently caress for Kanna, op

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

With the dub stuff, unfortunately the area the dub was made in could have a slight effect on that. Texas, as everyone knows, is the epicenter of fair portrayal of gay characters. But I've always believed that, if you are going to enter a media or production focused job, you should at the very least take some base level media training so that you don't make your company look bad when you respond to fans.

Funimation is in DFW, not Cut and Shoot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
While her reaction was a bit overboard, I can honestly see the translator's point here. Saying "But I'm a woman?" implies that Kobayashi has either somehow never heard of homosexuality or that she thinks of it as something fundamentally weird and abnormal. She did say literally that in Japanese, but Japanese culture itself has some issues with LGBT stuff, so that's not exactly a ringing endorsement either. The dub line is much more neutral reply in English (as it's more of a "okay, you're clearly gay and I respect that, but I'm not interested in reciprocating"), although clearly runs headfirst into some tricky character interpretation problems. Even with the anime going into "they adopted a child together" territory, there's still no real indication that Kobayashi is attracted to Tohru at all. I mean, nothing to deny it either, but I can definitely understand how someone would see it as a straight woman with a gay roommate.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 5, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Like I said earlier, the sub and original line makes sense for a Kobayashi that is uncertain of her feelings and afraid to stand out. Remember that she initially rejects Tohru for no reason whatsoever other than her own anxiety. So yes, I think the answer literally is that Kobayashi is gay but closeted.

Also it's weird if it is actually a rejection that she would then hold hands with Tohru and later bathe with her.

So yeah the dub sucks.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
A better translation would have been something like "You know I'm a woman, right?"

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Fangz posted:

Also it's weird if it is actually a rejection that she would then hold hands with Tohru and later bathe with her.
It's possible for women to interact with each other without being lesbians.

Hard to believe but it's true.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's awkward as hell to be physically intimate with someone who has a one sided crush on you, and vice versa.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 5, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Kobayashi says "You know I'm a woman, right" and Tohru keeps throwing herself at her, that means Tohru doesn't care that Kobayashi is a woman.

If Kobayashi says "I'm not into women" and Tohru keeps throwing herself at her, that means Tohru doesn't care what Kobayashi wants.

It's kind of amazing how much changing that single line completely fucks up the characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darox posted:

It's possible for women to interact with each other without being lesbians.

Hard to believe but it's true.

There's definitely enough plausible deniability in there to consider Tohru and Kobayashi to just have a real close friendship or whatever, but i'd say it's honestly easier to see it as a developing romantic relationship considering stuff like the bathing scene or the blushing with the handholding or the jokes about how Kobayashi now knows how her dad felt when getting lectured by mom. Even if Kobayashi doesn't seem to be sexually interested in her (or anyone) at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kobayashi's speech in the latest episode has a lot more meaning if you think she's a closeted lesbian.

That being said, there isn't really anything in the story that strictly depends on her orientation.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Plausible deniability doesn't mean change the line to "I'm straight, no thanks," is my hot take

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You totally could read Kobayashi as not being romantically interested in Tohru, but I don't really see how that would make the story stronger unless the show goes out of its way to make a point about them not needing to be in love, which I don't really expect. As it stands, reading Kobayashi that way mostly just seems to make the story more melancholy than I think it really needs to be.

Also yeah, the dub writer was making way more assumptions about Kobayashi's character than seems like a good idea for a localization job.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Araki posted:

When is the black-haired OL sea dragon (?) going to show up? She seems like a good character.

She took a while to show up in the manga, but the anime could speed it up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

Plausible deniability doesn't mean change the line to "I'm straight, no thanks," is my hot take

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
There's basically no good reason for the line to be changed, unless the moral of the story is that Tohru can't take a hint. From what I remember of the manga Kobayashi gets mistaken for a man a few times so the original "but I'm a woman?" line fits better. For the anime that would depend on when/if those scenes get adapted but even so

Guy Goodbody posted:

If Kobayashi says "You know I'm a woman, right" and Tohru keeps throwing herself at her, that means Tohru doesn't care that Kobayashi is a woman.

If Kobayashi says "I'm not into women" and Tohru keeps throwing herself at her, that means Tohru doesn't care what Kobayashi wants.

It's kind of amazing how much changing that single line completely fucks up the characters.

this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In summary:

https://twitter.com/takasaki_sister/status/827961250944421888

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Dire Lemming posted:

There's basically no good reason for the line to be changed,

Sure there is, hypothetically if the lip flaps just couldn't match the original line then they change it.

The dub writer on twitter should have just gone with this excuse, jesus is this like their first day on the Internet?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chumbler posted:

Kobayashi's speech in the latest episode has a lot more meaning if you think she's a closeted lesbian.

That being said, there isn't really anything in the story that strictly depends on her orientation.

seriously I danced around it before but now with this dumb poo poo there's no way to pretend there weren't heavy undertones of 'get it, girl who's super into me and I keep being awkward and standoffish with? Society tends to grind down people who are too different or odd, so it's very hard to be 'special' sometimes'. I don't know if this was in the manga or not but the sub is at least very much leaning to 'Kobayashi is probably in the closet'.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

seriously I danced around it before but now with this dumb poo poo there's no way to pretend there weren't heavy undertones of 'get it, girl who's super into me and I keep being awkward and standoffish with? Society tends to grind down people who are too different or odd, so it's very hard to be 'special' sometimes'. I don't know if this was in the manga or not but the sub is at least very much leaning to 'Kobayashi is probably in the closet'.

That whole half of the episode was entirely new.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

That whole half of the episode was entirely new.

It's new-ish, but it uses plot elements from later chapters. Kyoani tends to do their best at expanding adaptations when they know the direction of where the original is heading towards, so a lot of new stuff in the anime is dabbling into themes that are more established in the manga.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
They're good at adding and expanding yeah. Like in the manga a spontaneous gift for Kanna becomes two connected scenes in ep 4.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kobayashi is as straight as uncooked spaghetti, and Tohru's bringing the steam

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Space Flower posted:

They're good at adding and expanding yeah. Like in the manga a spontaneous gift for Kanna becomes two connected scenes in ep 4.

Yeah, I think it was just some generic charm or something? I can't even remember. But they turned it into a cute scene.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I just found out the OP song has a music video. I think the OP is cuter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maKok2RItxM

An extended OP would make my year s2g

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 5, 2017

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
Also thank you to all of you for defending the TRUE and GOOD gay dragon mom show from homophobes

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This show is good and gay as hell, I like it a lot, thanks for reading and God bless

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah honestly it comes down to that point about making assumptions about the character that the original writers didn't assert. It's putting words into the original author's mouth and that's something you really need to avoid as a translator, cause it can get you in trouble.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macdoo posted:

Also thank you to all of you for defending the TRUE and GOOD gay dragon mom show from homophobes

sometimes a family is a mom and a dad, sometimes a family is just a mom or just a dad, sometimes a family is two moms or two dads. Sometimes a family is a bunch of dragons and an office lady who likes maids way too much. These are all good families.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I'm sorry but an Office Lady is one thing but a Programmer? That's just gross.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Macdoo posted:

An extended OP would make my year s2g

That it would.

I, for one, am glad that people like the dwagon show enough to debate the finer points of translating it because it's important to them.
Also this:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

sometimes a family is a mom and a dad, sometimes a family is just a mom or just a dad, sometimes a family is two moms or two dads. Sometimes a family is a bunch of dragons and an office lady who likes maids way too much. These are all good families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

kobayashi reads as a trans man (and you know, in the closet) to me, but same deal

• Locked thread