Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/miss-kobayashis-dragon-maid

From the director of Hyouka and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya comes the next classic anime from Kyoani.

quote:

Miss Kobayashi is your average office worker who lives a boring life, alone in her small apartment–until she saves the life of a female dragon in distress. The dragon, named Tohru, has the ability to magically transform into an adorable human girl (albeit with horns and a long tail!), who will do anything to pay off her debt of gratitude, whether Miss Kobayashi likes it or not. With a very persistent and amorous dragon as a roommate, nothing comes easy, and Miss Kobayashi’s normal life is about to go off the deep end!

(The dragon maid committee takes its work super seriously.)

Characters:

Mom

Dragon maid mom

Daughter (electric type)

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is on Crunchyroll on Wednesdays.

second opinion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think you should have a little faith in Kyoani.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

An adaptation is ultimately its own thing. If Kyoani decides to slow down the pace of the story then that could very well be for the good of the show. Don't stress out too much about it recreating the manga.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, I kind of like Tohru always making a big point about how much she hates humans and is just acting nice for her own sake, even though she really does get along with people easily and helps them unprompted.

I mean, despite saying that she immediately goes after a mugger when she could've ignored it. I think both mediums make it clear that though she might talk big, she's really just a good person.

Suppressing that scene is probably a good choice for the adaptation because it makes her more sympathetic in the mugger scene immediately after.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's very Kyoani to mock up two separate cgi videogames for an offhand joke.

I really like the Kobayashi/Tohru marriage. :)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I see Wikipedia is full of scurrilous lies

quote:

One Aztec story claims that Quetzalcoatl was tricked by Tezcatlipoca into becoming drunk and sleeping with a celibate priestess (in some accounts, his sister Quetzalpetlatl) and then burned himself to death out of remorse.[citation needed]

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/824720506582630400

https://twitter.com/Ventulus/status/824725756576198656

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This is the anime thread where none of that will happen, one of the other threads can be the manga thread. :colbert:

Let us not talk about that nonsense again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Emily Rand had a pretty good article up about the short non-sequitir shots Kyoani use to establish tone.

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2017/01/27/on-pillow-shots-nichijou-and-miss-kobayashis-dragon-maid/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

the combination of the india ink brush lineart with the detailed rendering in certain key spots is jarring

I don't like how young Kobayashi looks in that, but I didn't find the technique problematic, especially since I've done stuff like that in the past (I sometimes find too-clean lines to be kinda boring looking). Can you expand on this?

• Locked thread