Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

Neither of these are gainful employment, and appear to become less so with time.

you never specified the job's minimum dignity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What about when we volunteer to become a cyborg and have our central nervous system removed and implanted in a canning machine or something.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Bip Roberts posted:

What about when we volunteer to become a cyborg and have our central nervous system removed and implanted in a canning machine or something.

that's what i'm saying, bro. n. katherine hayles ftw

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fidel Castronaut posted:

the philosophy of posthumanism and cyborg theory is the only solution because nothing is invulnerable to automation. read your donna haraway and n katherine hayles, boys.

Go do whatever it is you do now in whatever nation becomes an advanced technocracy but not quite a posthuman cyborg hellscape next.

Posthumanism is kind of a hosed up concept on a planet where billions still don't have reliable access to medicine or education.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Yinlock posted:

you never specified the job's minimum dignity

Good point. Well, the job's minimum dignity is a middle class job that doesn't harm your health or inevitably cause injury on the job.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Not a Step posted:

Go do whatever it is you do now in whatever nation becomes an advanced technocracy but not quite a posthuman cyborg hellscape next.

Posthumanism is kind of a hosed up concept on a planet where billions still don't have reliable access to medicine or education.

transhumanism isn't posthumanism. i'm not talking elon musk bullshit sci-fi crap i'm talking defeating the western concept of the human as an individual and special little thing from which all good comes

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

the philosophy of posthumanism and cyborg theory is the only solution because nothing is invulnerable to automation. read your donna haraway and n katherine hayles, boys.

Thank you, but elucidate some of their general points? I would like to know.

Yinlock posted:

bug report: robot keeps trying to seize the means of production

Noice! :captainpop:

Al! posted:

sewer inspector

That will be automated. Dear god, let that be automated, because literally no one deserves that job.

Bip Roberts posted:

I think at that point you wouldn't be human and this question would fail to apply to you.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bip Roberts posted:

have fun on the robot reservation sucker

we're not gonna honor those bogus treaties

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

Thank you, but elucidate some of their general points? I would like to know.

Noice! :captainpop:

That will be automated. Dear god, let that be automated, because literally no one deserves that job.

I think at that point you wouldn't be human and this question would fail to apply to you.

Cyborg theory was created by Donna Haraway in the 80s in one of the hardest articles I ever had to read in grad school, The Cyborg Manfiesto, which you can read here if you're super masochistic: http://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Haraway-CyborgManifesto-1.pdf

There's no good summary but basically she's looking at cyborgs as being both organic and mechanical and in being both, breaking down the binary and all binaries. She sees this as politically useful because, well, for her, we already are cyborgs because we are so inextricable from our technology and it so radically alters the way we think about the world around us and ourselves that there is no sense in trying to separate humans and technology. She doesn't use this example but an article I read somewhere talked about how Nietzsche's writing changed dramatically when he bought his first typewriter. He wrote more aphorisms, more quick and concise little bits of philosophy. The tools he used shaped his belief system. I guess you could apply Marshall McLuhan's "the medium is the message" here too.

Anyway, posthumanism should be kept very separate from transhumanism. Transhumanists talk about the technological singularity and we'll all live forever and our bodies will look like we want them to and it is this transcendent thing (hence transhumanism) but posthumanists are like "you're just taking the humanistic ideas about the perfectability of the individual and sprinkling computers on it." posthumanists want us to move beyond the classic (talking like aristotle and locke and hobbes) ideas of humanism. Posthumanists take things like hive-minds seriously and challenge us to think about what the concept of an "individual" means when knowledge is so heavily networked.

It's out there stuff for sure, and I was being a bit flippant when I mentioned it in this silly forum but it's something I've spent some time studying in grad school and I have nothing better to do right now so I figured I would make a messy seriouspost about posthumanism.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
According to Player Piano it's Guard (of the machines and the factory) Overseer (of the factory) Mechanic (for the factory and robots) and then basically it's grunt in the army.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
politicians

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Jose posted:

politicians

Rubio-bot may have been a failure this cycle, but it had marked improvements over Rom-bot and 2020 might be the year the bastards finally succeed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
we can only hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JfnFXdkSTI

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

sewer inspector

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Cyborg theory was created by Donna Haraway in the 80s in one of the hardest articles I ever had to read in grad school, The Cyborg Manfiesto, which you can read here if you're super masochistic: http://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Haraway-CyborgManifesto-1.pdf

There's no good summary but basically she's looking at cyborgs as being both organic and mechanical and in being both, breaking down the binary and all binaries. She sees this as politically useful because, well, for her, we already are cyborgs because we are so inextricable from our technology and it so radically alters the way we think about the world around us and ourselves that there is no sense in trying to separate humans and technology. She doesn't use this example but an article I read somewhere talked about how Nietzsche's writing changed dramatically when he bought his first typewriter. He wrote more aphorisms, more quick and concise little bits of philosophy. The tools he used shaped his belief system. I guess you could apply Marshall McLuhan's "the medium is the message" here too.

Anyway, posthumanism should be kept very separate from transhumanism. Transhumanists talk about the technological singularity and we'll all live forever and our bodies will look like we want them to and it is this transcendent thing (hence transhumanism) but posthumanists are like "you're just taking the humanistic ideas about the perfectability of the individual and sprinkling computers on it." posthumanists want us to move beyond the classic (talking like aristotle and locke and hobbes) ideas of humanism. Posthumanists take things like hive-minds seriously and challenge us to think about what the concept of an "individual" means when knowledge is so heavily networked.

It's out there stuff for sure, and I was being a bit flippant when I mentioned it in this silly forum but it's something I've spent some time studying in grad school and I have nothing better to do right now so I figured I would make a messy seriouspost about posthumanism.

Thank you.

This has been both illuminating and interesting.

I'm an old fashioned Locke type of gentleman but I'm willing to expand my horizons. Thank you for expounding on this.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Jose posted:

politicians

One can only hope...

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
There aren't many I can think of that can't be fully automated given time, but here are a few that I suspect won't become automated (and my reasoning for them):

1) Engineering. This is the "we make and program the robots that put other people out of work" job, so I suspect that engineers of all kinds and robotics companies will continue to employ living human beings to protect their own job security, at the very least.

2) The Arts. Music, culture, entertainment and so on; these kinds of jobs will continue indefinitely if only to placate the disenfranchised and jobless masses.

3) Agriculture. While many, *many* aspects of agriculture have already been automated and have pared down the required number of laborers from dozens to a handful, people are becoming more and more aware of what they are putting into their bodies, and a big selling point is that people want "real food." Local farms, national farms and agriculture companies have already begun to pitch the idea that "if it's not grown by hand, it's inferior."

4) Politics. My viewpoints on politics are likely different than your own; that in and of itself is a solid reason as to why politicians will always be around, for good or bad.

5) Crime. Preface: I am not advocating, condoning or endorsing any kind of criminal activity, nor should you. Having said that, criminals will always be around as long inequity exists.

6) Philosophy. Once upon a time, being a philosopher was an actual job that one could have to earn a living. With automation "giving" (I.E. forcing) more free time to the masses, the idea of introspection and ideology become more significant. While religion and philosophy are distinctly different (and likely always should be), they function in much the same manner in this capacity; they deal in ideas and concepts rather than anything material. If a church can make money repeating the same dogma and asking for donations, I assume that one could, in theory, make money selling philosophical insight.

7) Exploration. While there are relatively few places left on Earth for man to explore, humans are driven to find new vistas and see places that are new to them. Exploration of space is, for the most part, the domain of automation already; as technology improves, however, the idea that a human being can get into a ship and fly off to explore another world is too romantic to ever be left solely in the hands of robots. A drone could scan the entire surface of a planet, but a human will rationalize going and seeing these images first hand, as that is our nature.

8) Marketing. This is the domain of those that try to convince that rampant automation that has destroyed every other job sector is a "Good Thing." The last thing they will do is make their own job redundant, even if it could be automated.

9) Law. The practice of law (lawyers, judges, jury, etc) will likely always be conducted by humans, as most everybody is uncomfortable with the idea of the fate of someone's life being handled by computer program or statistical analysis. That, and increasing loss of jobs will in turn charge the legal system with lawsuit after lawsuit against those that seek to destroy various job sectors through automation.

10) Regression-Based Industries. In a future in which automation causes people to lose jobs, generations will start to ask themselves: "why not just learn how to do something interesting?" Hipsters, for better or worse, are perhaps the pioneers in this front, in that they hey create demand for hand-crafted and/or obscure artisan goods or "archaic" methods of production for various reasons, and you may find that as more and more people feel restricted due to automation, that they too will purposely choose to go "low-tech." Basically, if you have hundreds of thousands of people that can't make it in any job sector, they will essentially form their own economies on the micro level based on things that they can do.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

anyone say retard masturbator?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Childcare, Tutor, Teacher, Writer, or if all else fails, Terrorist.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

b l o w j o b s

They've actually already done this. You can buy a thing that does this.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to read because it's poorly written, and throws in some questionable ideas about gender, just to make it 'feminist'. But the more abstract point about the impossibility of transcendence is sound.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
He wasnt invulnerable to cancer though op !!

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

youtube Prank Compilation editor

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Raiad posted:

There are no safe jobs.

Soon the great job creators will discover that all finance and administration people are a bunch of jerkoffs that just jerk off all day and that computers have already made them obsolete.

Factories will become self sustaining entities that simply follow the orders of the computers. Maintenance will be done by robots that will be able to maintain other robots. Security will also be automated, set to kill anyone who attempts to steal from or disrupt the system.

The few remaining people who have money will either go into hiding in space or underground, and those too stupid to run will be eaten alive by the starving hoard that can no longer be placated with the entertainment that they can no longer afford.

All that will be left is a perfectly automated system, designed to serve those who no longer exist to be served.

good

this is exactly what we need

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
With production taken over by machines, we could be free from the value system that 'waged work' imposes on us. then, life could be freely constructed like a game, where there is no exploitation of man by man for want of power or money. Leisure and work would no longer be separated.

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Jan 19, 2017

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
making milkshakes

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nothing, once humanity itself is automated.

All of your imperfections will be removed in the name of survival. Hate, fear, all emotion.

You will become like us.

We will survive.

WE WILL SURVIVE
WE WILL SURVIVE
WE WILL SURVIVE

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Bug chasers

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Cyber security. Probably?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
hookers

seriously who the gently caress other than weird anime nerds would actually want to gently caress sexbots if you think about it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
lawyer
accountant
pig farmer

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Things that people want.

It's the things that people need which will be controlled by soulless machines owned by soulless capitalists.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

sewer inspector

thats where lovely people get sent

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
drug dealer

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Prisoner of AM.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I work in Regulatory and I'm less likely to lose my job to automation and more likely to lose it to Trump/Republicans going "lol do whatever" and taking all regulations off of the books. The worst part is that I really don't like this line of work and wouldn't be sad to see it go. There's a big EU regulatory deadline in 2018 that's relevant to my job and if the EU is destined to collapse I hope it's before then, I really don't want to work on it.

Basically anything requiring critical human thought (lol) is safe in our lifetimes. Stuff relying on very fine motor skills is safe too but over a shorter timeframe, they already have surgical robots and poo poo.

Mnoba posted:

electricians, toolmakers, pipefitters, millwrights. Skip your 4 year worthless degree and save yourself the 100k and go to a trade school, be in high demand, join a trade union, and start out at 60k.

I don't have kids yet but if we all haven't been consumed in nuclear hellfire by the time they graduate high school I might try to push them towards trades.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Mariana Horchata posted:

With production taken over by machines, we could be free from the value system that 'waged work' imposes on us. then, life could be freely constructed like a game, where there is no exploitation of man by man for want of power or money. Leisure and work would no longer be separated.

My suspicion is it's more likely that humanity will return to serfdom and almost everyone will be doing the jobs that people pass over in large amounts.

Retail is going no where, yet accounting is. Barista is going no where, yet gainful factory employment is already almost gone.

My concern, is we will be transformed into various types of house slaves and nothing else.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Sole.Sushi posted:

There aren't many I can think of that can't be fully automated given time, but here are a few that I suspect won't become automated (and my reasoning for them):

1) Engineering. This is the "we make and program the robots that put other people out of work" job, so I suspect that engineers of all kinds and robotics companies will continue to employ living human beings to protect their own job security, at the very least.

2) The Arts. Music, culture, entertainment and so on; these kinds of jobs will continue indefinitely if only to placate the disenfranchised and jobless masses.

3) Agriculture. While many, *many* aspects of agriculture have already been automated and have pared down the required number of laborers from dozens to a handful, people are becoming more and more aware of what they are putting into their bodies, and a big selling point is that people want "real food." Local farms, national farms and agriculture companies have already begun to pitch the idea that "if it's not grown by hand, it's inferior."

4) Politics. My viewpoints on politics are likely different than your own; that in and of itself is a solid reason as to why politicians will always be around, for good or bad.

5) Crime. Preface: I am not advocating, condoning or endorsing any kind of criminal activity, nor should you. Having said that, criminals will always be around as long inequity exists.

6) Philosophy. Once upon a time, being a philosopher was an actual job that one could have to earn a living. With automation "giving" (I.E. forcing) more free time to the masses, the idea of introspection and ideology become more significant. While religion and philosophy are distinctly different (and likely always should be), they function in much the same manner in this capacity; they deal in ideas and concepts rather than anything material. If a church can make money repeating the same dogma and asking for donations, I assume that one could, in theory, make money selling philosophical insight.

7) Exploration. While there are relatively few places left on Earth for man to explore, humans are driven to find new vistas and see places that are new to them. Exploration of space is, for the most part, the domain of automation already; as technology improves, however, the idea that a human being can get into a ship and fly off to explore another world is too romantic to ever be left solely in the hands of robots. A drone could scan the entire surface of a planet, but a human will rationalize going and seeing these images first hand, as that is our nature.

8) Marketing. This is the domain of those that try to convince that rampant automation that has destroyed every other job sector is a "Good Thing." The last thing they will do is make their own job redundant, even if it could be automated.

9) Law. The practice of law (lawyers, judges, jury, etc) will likely always be conducted by humans, as most everybody is uncomfortable with the idea of the fate of someone's life being handled by computer program or statistical analysis. That, and increasing loss of jobs will in turn charge the legal system with lawsuit after lawsuit against those that seek to destroy various job sectors through automation.

10) Regression-Based Industries. In a future in which automation causes people to lose jobs, generations will start to ask themselves: "why not just learn how to do something interesting?" Hipsters, for better or worse, are perhaps the pioneers in this front, in that they hey create demand for hand-crafted and/or obscure artisan goods or "archaic" methods of production for various reasons, and you may find that as more and more people feel restricted due to automation, that they too will purposely choose to go "low-tech." Basically, if you have hundreds of thousands of people that can't make it in any job sector, they will essentially form their own economies on the micro level based on things that they can do.

This is interesting, however capital is usually necessary to get into these fields. Simply put, this direction will not be one that is open to the poor. The rest of your post was spot on.

Present day philosophers do make money with tawdry self help books, and there are more and more people getting famous for becoming internet famous since it seems anyone can form a cult of personality now.

In these cases also, however, being poor can limit your options in a myriad of subtle and unseen ways.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Typo posted:

hookers

seriously who the gently caress other than weird anime nerds would actually want to gently caress sexbots if you think about it

No drat body and that's a fact.

poty posted:

lawyer
accountant
pig farmer

Expand on why you think accounting is invulnerable from automation, as other posters in the thread seem confident that this is not the case.

Wheeee posted:

Things that people want.

It's the things that people need which will be controlled by soulless machines owned by soulless capitalists.

Inelastic demand is what pays bills. Once you're dealing with what people want, and not what they need, unless you have the capital to make said items relatively cheap or a status symbol, people's desires can be quite fickle. Even status symbols go out of style every ten years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

C-Euro posted:

I work in Regulatory and I'm less likely to lose my job to automation and more likely to lose it to Trump/Republicans going "lol do whatever" and taking all regulations off of the books. The worst part is that I really don't like this line of work and wouldn't be sad to see it go. There's a big EU regulatory deadline in 2018 that's relevant to my job and if the EU is destined to collapse I hope it's before then, I really don't want to work on it.

Basically anything requiring critical human thought (lol) is safe in our lifetimes. Stuff relying on very fine motor skills is safe too but over a shorter timeframe, they already have surgical robots and poo poo.

I don't have kids yet but if we all haven't been consumed in nuclear hellfire by the time they graduate high school I might try to push them towards trades.

One can only hope. That means a lot more is actually a lot safer than what I'm hearing. There is a lot of fear that even hospital techs will get automated after long enough which fails to make sense to me, but I have heard the argument made.

• Locked thread