Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is a difficult problem (and possibly an impossible one to fix). I know a bunch of wealthy liberals, and they sorta-kinda care about helping people in theory but it never goes beyond discussions and is almost always limited to ideas that wouldn't be considered "radical." I think this is partly because wealthier people don't really understand what it even means to deal with hardship, in the same way as a man doesn't know how it feels to be a woman. Their lived experiences basically render them completely and utterly ignorant about what it's like to not have a comfortable, happy life. And these are people who I think, at their core, are good people. But it's impossible to communicate to them with just words what it's like to experience difficulty. As a result, it's impossible to really get these people to feel any sort of urgency, since the very concept of urgently needing help is foreign to them.

I distinctly remember this one time I was talking to this guy and he told me about how the most difficult and painful thing he had ever experienced was not being accepted into Harvard for undergraduate (he was accepted to NYU Stern, which is the college we both attended). He was dead serious and had absolutely zero clue that this was an absurd sentiment.

This was me a long time ago, and it was counteracted by getting out hitting the pavement and simply experiencing things. Meeting people who are really different to you, listening to their hardship and making their struggles as valuable as your own is vital for overcoming this malaise. One of the arguments I used to tell myself, and I hear it a lot from others too, is 'I can't change anything significantly by myself anyway, so why bother? I do my bit for charity.' This mentality has several sticking points that you need to overcome. Oftentimes these liberals will be doing something unambiguously good in some small way, donating to charity being the main one. It's as if they believe that there is some kind of 'goodness tax'. You also need to emphasise that, no, you can't make a significant change by yourself, but that is ok. If you add your voice to a chorus of others, you can move mountains.

It is really hard though. I have this argument with so many people and the temptation sometimes to just get angry at their apathy can be overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread